Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Not-So-Old Hot Rod Shirts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

[​IMG]

New Years is about a fresh start, right? Out with the old and in with the new. In the spirit of 'de-accumulating' I was digging through some forgotten clothing boxes, and discovered a treasure trove of my old hot rod shirts, with many being 10 to 2... <BR><BR>To read the rest of this blog entry from The Jalopy Journal, click here.

Note: Excuse the technical issue... This is actually a post by Jay Ward.

2. I know the feeling! I've got God knows how many shirts going back to the mid 80's. Umpteen NHRA events, lots from now defunct LACR (NITROMANIA!!!), assorted hot rod, speed shops and manufacturers. I can't part with them, but I have so many I have no room anymore, so I'm going to box 'em up!
    I'm going to leave them to somebody in my will!

3. Great stuff, Ryan. Like yourself, I've got tees going back many yrs. I'm definitely a jeans and t-shirt guy. Love that Weesner So-Cal shirt. Wish you would do something real similar but with HAMB or Jalopy Journal on the door and the image on the back of the shirt.............Don.

4. Some of my t-shirts the artwork is so great I don't want to wear the shirt out!

I have a bunch of shirts in the box in the closet!

A good friend of mine gained a lot of weight and he doesn't fit into his old event-shirts so his wife grabbed all of his t-shirts and made a quilt out of them it looks awesome too!

Posted using Full box of Crayons on the Kitchen Walls App!

5. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

ryan ill take a so.cal one in XL

6. vintage tin

vintage tin

I have t-shirts and swap meet flyers that were sent out and professionally framed to hang in my home office. Paid a lot of money to have a $5 shirt and free flyers framed.
    But sometimes the art is just that cool.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  7. X 2 That's a real simple, but cool design.

8. So Cal one is very cool. This one does it for me! [​IMG] THANKS!

9. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a drawer so full of such I can barely close it. Drag events, one of the last Detroit Dragway Ts, even an old local tire store with it's own logo by Dave Deal (locals probably remember "Sparky's Tire and Trans" in Aleen Park). I probably need to purge it again or maybe just stow em away.

10. sololobo

sololobo

cool gear bro, I am up and running with a new vintage store and appreciate the swag. Happy New Year and best wishes for a great 14. ~sololobo~

11. Paul

Paul
    Editor

cool shirts Jay,
    I have box of old T's too
    none with the iconic associations your examples have
    but with just as much personal importance to me

this is one of my favorites
    at the first Unfinished Nationals
    my car was chosen to be on the next years T shirts

[​IMG]

12. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I have some old Ts but they seem to have shrunk (a size smaller than what I am now, did not know they did that while in storage...... most are my old Mini Truck club and some truck show shirts with a few old hotrod shows like GNRS from the late 80s and early 90s)

I have the blue Asphalt Invitational shirt still in my rotation of being worn.

When were the first HAMB shirts done, it has to be 10 yrs now right??

13. Paul

Paul
    Editor

not sure how old this one is, probably not very
    but it made it to the box before being completely worn out

back:

[​IMG]

14. jadeidol

jadeidol
    from spokane

this is one of my favorite shirts and show, it was always fun

15. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

I have a couple of Back to the Beach WCK shirts designed by von Franco that are in my 'do not wear' box. Along with a Rodder Digest car show, a Blessing of the Cars,,,, and the Bonneville ones,, and the ones I designed for the Calendar,,
    I am blown away when I go to B-ville and see shirts I printed 10 years ago still being worn
    My name is Tony, and I have too many t-shirts

16. George G

George G

The Hamb crash tee is my all time fav. I completely wore it out.

Ryan can you release the art work to an "on demand" printer?

17. eddie1

eddie1

My sister makes quilts as a hobby but has made a few quilts for people for money. She has done one with a guys collection of old concert t-shirts. I have thought of having her make one out of my old hot rod shirts but I tend to wear them until there is nothing left of them.

18. Red Greth (Speed Sport Special) has a quilt at his summer place here in NM made from old hot rod shirts. Very Cool.

19. catdad49

catdad49

Great post, Bomber. I like the quilt idea, but that's something my sis is into. Thanks

20. scootrz1

scootrz1
    from usa

i have always thought of doing a quilt to , now in winter in my 3 bay garage i hang plastic to block off 1 bay thinking a huge quilt to hang there would be wicked kool would get rid of a lot of old shirts also

21. thunderplex

thunderplex

Several years ago when I was around 62 years old, I found a huge box of hot rod and motorcycle t-shirts stuck in the back of my walk-in clothes closet. These t-shirts had been in the box for over 20 years. The box had been moved several times but not opened. That's the day I realized that t-shirts shrink in the in the absence of light. Who-da-thunk-it?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

22. crosleykook

crosleykook
    from sackamento

So cool to see that Gearhead shirt- Mike LaVella and his crew were the first guys I knew who were into traditional customs. He was already spreading the gospel in '93 when I met him.

23. I discovered that very thing when I got out of the army!

Posted using Full box of Crayons on the Kitchen Walls App!

24. flamingokid

flamingokid

I have a Hot Rod T-shirt from the late 70s that I've kept just in case they develop the technology to size up old T-shirts. ;)

25. autobilly

autobilly

Sure you haven't expanded over the last twenty years?:eek:;):D

26. Add another name to the list that wants to see that Weesner So-Cal design on a HAMB shirt!

27. thunderplex

thunderplex

Wow, ...you're breaking my code! Amazing!!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

28. autobilly

autobilly

It's all algorithms and patience.
    [​IMG]

29. R&C RON

R&C RON

Here are some from my favorite show in the 1970's.......Andys Picnic!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

30. trollst

trollst

Piss me off, my shirts (many) have desized while in storage, what is it with todays air, lack of sunlight, maybe the drawer was too small, they resized to fit the drawer?