Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '59 Thunderbird Radical Custom build.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flynbrian48, Oct 22, 2013.

1. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Well, now I'll have to finish it, won't I?;)

2. We certainly hope so!

3. Great looking project.:) You always seem to excell, in your craftsmanship.:cool: Sure it's sunny and warm, her in Floriduh, but at least the winter gives y'all a chance to hide out in the garage and work. Down here its go go go all year round. We never want to be without a car to drive.

Subscribed.
    JT

4. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

5. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Hey Brian, finally got a chance to read this thread all the way through. This is gonna be one killer car! I like the small touches that no doubt will have people trying to figure out what you did. Looking forward to updates! Eli

6. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Very nice design work and plan of attack. Great design improvements sir and good luck with the rest of the build.

7. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Hey thanks, I appreciate it! It'll be a while before I can work on it now, I'll be cleaning up ice storm damage for a long time now...

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Uh oh, that doesn't sound good, what happened? I know parts of the mainland have been getting hit pretty hard the last few days

9. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

This is the least of the damage. Ever tree in our 3 1/2 acre wooded lot is damaged. We'll be cleaning up for weeks. The power is back on now, thankfully, so the antique Onan gen-set can take a break!

Attached Files:

10. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Oh geez, how old is the Onan? I hope it isn't one of the old mag amp ones from the '60s.

11. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Same as the GMC, '76. It was in the Diamond Reo camper that was originally mounted on the frame of the truck. Had to put a new fuel pump on it today, but it runs great. 5KW.

12. Model T1

Model T1

Nice work Brian. I follow your posts in my e-mail. We finally junked our 1977 Onan from our Concord motorhome. Had it in the pumphouse/ garden shed. For some reason we just couldn't get it running again after sitting a few years. Already had electric fuel pump and other crap.
    80+ weather seemed to keep the ice storms away from us. Our kids got some in Illinois. Just another reminder why we left and don't visit way up north during winters.
    Keep up the good work. It makes me tired seeing all the things you do but I enjoy reading your updates. ;)
    Sorry about the trees. We have five acres and love our leafy and needled friends. By the way your new pet is butt ugly. I'd shoot it and BBQ the thing for Christmas!

13. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Oh okay. The reason I asked is that I've had a bit of experience with the Onans from the '50s through early '70s with the old mag amp setups and was lucky enough to locate a company that updates all the old voltage regulation issues. If you ever have problems look up Powertronics. They have static exciters and regulators that do away with all that dinosaur stuff. Quite painless and really easy to install. Eli

14. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Out of curiosity I put a voltmeter in an outlet and read a steady 125 V. I plug in the welder outlet in the shop, and disconnect the 200 amp main breaker between the meter and breaker panel in the house. Works great.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

15. I just found and read through your build thread; and BOY am I impressed! Some great ideas going on here and on one of my favourite 'Birds too!

You mentioned earlier about changing out the front park lights and I wondered if you had considered doing a pair of small, round lamps on either side - sorta like the '59 Caddy only maybe frenched in the pan so as to be much more subtle. That would reflect the quad headlights above and have the park/signals look less "orphaned" as singles. Just a thought..

I'm subscribing!

Dave

16. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Hmmm, that's a good idea Dave. Thanks, I'll mock that up and see how it flows.

Merry Custom Christmas, everybody!

Brian

17. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So, does this mean that your shop power is not run through the house panel, but is fed through a breaker in a separate panel? Not sure I'm following this. If shop power is distributed separately from house, then why would you need to turn off house main? And if shop and house are supplied through same panel, then turning off main would . . .

Inquiring minds need to know.

18. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

No, the shop is fed through the 200 amp panel in the house, so it's all one. There's another 200 main breaker only between the breaker panel and the meter, which I shut off so as not to feed the line, or have the power come on and fry the generator. Code here required a breaker between the meter and panel, due to the long run between them.

19. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Finally got a little done on the 'Bird today. The front bumper is now delightfully free of park light holes! I like it so much, I think I'll forgo cutting holes in the newly filled ends, and put turn sig/park lamps between the grill bars.

A balmy ZERO when I built a fire in the stove, but after I got the driveway plowed, the shop was pretty comfy. 50 when I went in. Keeping a fire going through the weekend so I can get some more done.

Attached Files:

20. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

The bumper looks nice and clean now, very nice touch. Are you going to re-chrome it?

21. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

No, it'll be painted body color, silver.
    These are an integral part of the body lines, more like a rolled pan. I've always thought on these that the chrome makes them stick out, and LOTS of late 50's customs had rolled pans that were body color, so that's what this will be. Stainless trim around the grill, Thunderbird scrip on the tonneau cover head rest fairings, and will be only shiny things on the body. Well, the tail light bezels will still be chrome, and the T'Bird emblems on the top.

22. After seeing the pics, the less "busy" look is certainly working for you. I like what you are doing a lot.

-Dave

23. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Think I should fill in that "divot" in the side of the bumper, that the park light was (sort of) a continuation of? Or, am I done cutting and welding?:D

Attached Files:

24. Torchie

Torchie

Fill it!
    Done cutting and welding? Never heard of such a thing:D
    Torchie.

25. Brian, it's hard to tell from the pic, isn't the entire bumper inset in this area? If so, I think I would just leave it. If it's a depression just where the parking light was, I think you should fill it.

26. Pic didn't attach. Isn't this whole area recessed?

Attached Files:

27. The pic is a little dark to see well, but from what it appears I would fill it.

28. salguod

salguod

Howdy. I'm an owner of a '60 Convertible and I've been following your build. Very interesting, I'm impressed with folks who can do this kind of metal work.

I wouldn't fill that area, since, as Blownfuel said, the entire section is recessed and compliments the shape of the rear bumper (and works well with the 'spear' on the side).

How about this - take advantage of that contour and chrome the bumper and paint the area Blownfuel highlighted body color, perhaps along with the grille. I know you didn't like the mass of the big, chrome bumper, but this would give the nose some side to side brightwork but break up some of the mass. You could do something similar to the rear bumper too.

29. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

It's on the side of the bumper, below the fender, and yes, the whole side is has the recess, and yes, it doesn't show up well in the dark photo. I looked closer at it, and it really wouldn't lend itself to being filled in. That part of the bumper would look too massive. So, I'm done cutting stuff up! Now, to start smoothing things off!

30. yaaaayyyyy! no more hacking, finishing work is much better. good to see youre making this thing happen, hopefully ill get to see it at cruisin soon.