Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Another Av8 build thread!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by skatermann, Mar 19, 2012.

1. haha I know.... It's from a 41' to 46' chevy truck. I got it cheap locally. I couldn't get my hands on a 32' or 34' ford header panel.

2. VonKool13

VonKool13

Its so rad looking, sorta like a poormans deuce. Whats ven better is u built it, not bought it.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. Thanks VonKool. Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!

4. Christom

Christom

Wow that is one fine looking coupe you got coming together. Very "lakes" for sure. :cool:

5. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I love it!! Go, man, go!

6. Thanks Matt. I worked on the roof more today, and got almost everything trimmed right and tacked together..... But I got really low on argon/co2 and didn't want to run out so I stopped haha. Its getting closer though!

7. slobroy

slobroy

Nice work, I like the attitude of the car and you young man.

8. I like your project, and I have some common ideas for mine ;-)

Do you have more info about this coupe (or where do you found it on the HAMB) ?

Thanks a lot,

Math,

[​IMG]

9. Madmath that coupe belongs to KevinLee here on the hamb.... It totally rules!

10. ...Been working on the nose buck

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Joe

2tall2beahotrodder likes this.
  11. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

I like the direction you're taking. Keep it up!

12. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

looks cooler everytime I see it.

13. Thanks!

Little by little!

14. texkbc

texkbc

Great looking project.! Found this picture and it sort of reminded me of yours

Attached Files:

15. Hey guys update coming sooon.... but here's a wee hint for those still watching: Take note of the curved sharpie line on the side of the cowl. Thats all you get :D

[​IMG]

Joe

16. ml_engr

ml_engr

You have my attention!

17. Well here it is... My goal is to get the body in primer by the end of the month. We'll see if it happens... Then I can dedicate some time to the engine(99r flathead!) which has been sitting in the machine shop for months(which is my fault, I'm helping machine it and haven't gotten down there!). Oh and I got a tig! It's an Eastwood 200amp AC/DC model.... Its the best I can afford right now, and I'm happy with it! So when the engine comes home I will finish the chassis, and I have some new ideas....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any thoughts on whether or not to fill the roof? I'm kinda leaning towards going with an insert, but I'd have scratch build it... Oh and I've become obsessed with early ford chrome steelies, so I think this car is gonna have to have them eventually....

18. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Don't fill the roof! I think a black insert would look killer on that.. And leave the black wires. The chrome steel wheels are more of a late '50's thing. You've got that late '40's vibe going on and I'm loving it. The firewall modification is a pretty interesting idea. Planning on running a hood?

But like the crowd says.. It's your car. Do what you want.

19. Noland

Noland

Glad to hear you got a tig, it'll really help out with things. I really like that cowl,looks real neat. and the track nose. gonna be a super neat car when your done. keep up the awesome work.

20. PINEAPPLE

PINEAPPLE

Pretty tricky to break new ground with a model a these days AND make it look good.
    Your'e doing both, your ambition is inspiring! Keep up the good work!

Matt.

21. Matt... I always respect your opinion, so thanks for sharing. I agree with you on the insert, its just a lot of work, and I don't have a bead roller yet. Most likely I'll end up doing it in the end though. As for chrome wheels, I think they became a lot more common as the fifties wore on, and were just rare earlier on... Which quickly turns into to "wrong period", but the look I'm aiming for is "show and go" comp coupe around '51-'53(I Like the wires, but feel they don't fit that look). I can't remember for sure, but is it the Weiand track roadster(I think early-mid 50s) that had chromed steel wheels? I've attached a couple of cars with chromies also... I really dig them on the '34, and the color I want to paint it will be green also(but darker).

Thanks Noland! Yeah I'm real excited about the tig!

Thank you for the kind words!

Attached Files:

22. Oh and I forgot to say that I will be running a full hood.... with lunchbox latches :D

23. austinhunt

austinhunt

You know I like the wires, but the chrome steelies might look really good. I agree with matt on the insert... And you have more than enough hammering skill to do that without a bead roller. Use a "corking tool" and a hammer form for beads and throw the flanges by hand. That stance just keeps looking better as you get closer!

24. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

I can't quite figure out what you're doing with the firewall but I'm guessing you're going to use a modified '33-'34 firewall?

25. 66tintop

66tintop
    from Canada

Just ran across your very ambitious build , it takes a man of steel to go ahead and cut these apart and go with own ideas , love the direction of your build . I will be watching , and thanks for sharing your vision !:)

26. Austinhunt... I agree with both of you, and the insert is staying.

OahuEli... The hood edge on my cowl was rotten, and I happened to have the same area from a '40s chevy truck(that I used the windshield from on the chop), and it made it look kinda '34ish which I like, so it just kinda worked out. I'll probably just heavily modify the stock firewall to fit the new cowl shape.

Hitchhiker... Thank you! Your old coupe was definitely noted and filed under inspiration. Do you still have it?

66tintop... Thank you for the kind words. I'm just using the parts that I have and trying to pay attention to aesthetics!

Joe

27. Nope, just have the pickup for now. The coupe went to Germany. I'm collecting parts for another coupe/roadster 32 model A who knows something or other. but that will be a ways down the road.

keep up the good work. It's very interesting where it is headed.

28. Thanks! Your pickup is lookin good too! I think I got a lead on a couple of(not matching) Winfield carbs.....