Register now to get rid of these ads!

EZ wire or Rebel wire.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 65fordguy, Dec 14, 2013.

1. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Just get a wiring kit that is as "painless" as possible.

2. 1959apache

1959apache

I used Rebel, Bob is a really nice guy and helped me wire and fix wiring on his kit when I was messing around with wiring up different alternators, dash components, etc. I will be buying another for my '40 Plymouth here soon. Even if I have to pay a little more for a Rebel versus different companies, I am going to go with Rebel again based off of the customer service

3. Voh

Voh

I used a EZ wire kit a while ago. My main reason was that you could get the lager kit with all black / labeled wiring. I just wish it was available all black in the smaller kits.

No issues at all, very simple to install.

4. The37Kid

The37Kid

Lets say labled wire is labled wire, just what does differ in the different kits? American Wire schematics do look far more professional, but I do get lost rather quickly. Bob

5. Rebel Wire ! Very nice kit and ordered the 9+3 for my GM column, almost foolproof.:)

Attached Files:

6. Oldbill51

Oldbill51

I only have experience with Rebel Wire 9+3, used in my 32. Worked as advertised. I'm building a 29 roadster now, and can't think of a good reason to use anything different.

Bill

7. Hellfish

Hellfish

I used Rebel Wire to wire my Econoline. Works great and was easy. I had a question, so I called tech support... and got the owner of the company. Very easy to deal with and knowledgeable. They're on the HAMB and teh kits are made and assembled in the USA.

I have no experience with EZ Wire.

8. 65fordguy

65fordguy

Well I got the kit in.. I have to wait to open it as its a christmas gift! but.. wondering if you guys have any tips.. especially you ford guys. I'm planning on using tech flex to wrap the cable.. not a fan of the mini truck walmart insulation.. while it is functional.. every streetrodder and mini trucker around here uses that. I just want to be a little different and I use the stuff at work all the time. like the look.

9. Bob over at Rebel does not keep our dumb questions on file. He erases all calls after each shift.

10. Chad_The_Sailor

Chad_The_Sailor

I just wired up my 53 with a speedway harness. Plain vanilla!!

CTS!

11. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think you will be happy with your choice, I have a Rebel 9 + 3 80 percent installed, had some issues (operator error on my part) and their tech folks were great.

12. 65fordguy

65fordguy

So far I'm pleased with what I see!

Sent from my LG-D800 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

Attached Files:

13. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

WE have had several guys in the 1952-59 Ford Social Group use these kits,almost all rewire kits tend to be "GM friendly" The common GM style headlamp switches used in most custom applications use two hot leads in where the early Ford switches only use one,a quick call to Rebel Tech will clear that up for you.

14. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Rebel Wire gets a thumbs up from me. Called Bob and he asked me what I had in the '51 Ford F1 I was working on. The truck was a Frankenstein of mismatched parts and components but he put together a great kit for me. Plus $185 delivered to my door in Hawaii was cool.

15. FatFndr

FatFndr

I use relays to carry the load for my headlights and tail lights. I use relays where ever I can. I lost a tail light switch coming home from cruising one night and had to drive over 60 miles using a cobbled up hand switch for the tail lights - never again. Safety rules. Carry spares.

16. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

I never even heard of Tech Flex until you mentioned it but checked out their website. They have some pretty cool stuff and it looks like that might not be a bad idea. Didn't notice anything about branch circuits joint covering though. Another thought, how about using their tech lacing? I used to do lacing years ago on electrical harness' for the Navy and while it takes a bit of time it can look pretty cool.

17. 65fordguy

65fordguy

kinda like this? [​IMG]

18. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Exactly. Now that I know about Tech Flex and the fact that they have the lacing I will doing this on my next project.
    If you decide to go this route, its a good idea to rough in your harness', planning corners, branch circuits etc. You can put a temporary knot or tyrap at corners, branch circuits etc to hold the shape and then just lace your way through. I used to use a big table and mock up all turns. Its actually easier than I make it sound. :D Just don't do any final terminations till the lacing is done. Doesn't hurt to have a cooler of cold ones nearby either. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  19. 65fordguy

65fordguy

man.. it is nice. the wiring nerd in me loves it. i might have to consider that for my engine bay. I don't want to hide my wires like a lot of guys.. but I do want to make them look cool. This is cool. thanks for the recommendation. I'll have to do some research into this procedure.

20. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Over the years I have used them all but I became the Rebel UK dealer for a very good reason, their kits are great and Bob & Jean are 2 nice people, enuff said.

I like to lace too but only where its seen, seems pointless to lace where it won't get seen as it can take a while, I like to put a multi plug just behind the firewall and from there forward run cloth braided cable laced up, looks cool and don't cost a fortune.

[​IMG]

21. Bounder

Bounder

I'm being very serious with this question. What do you need assistance on rewiring a car, what are the problems with the wiring kits? I have not rewired a car and will be needing to do so thus the reason for my question. Think I will go Rebel, they're only 30 min. from the house.

22. The37Kid

The37Kid

I'd like someone to explain what one kit has and the other doesn't? Explain it clearley for the clueless. Bob :confused:

23. daddio211

daddio211

I've had both, both were good. Two reasons I prefer Rebel Wire: 1. they support the HAMB and 2. MADE IN AMERICA.

That said, I have nothing bad to say about EZ Wire, great kit but gimme HAMB supporting American made stuff any day, even if it's more expensive.

My '27 T Roadster build: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t= 734383

24. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

Your going to like the Rebel kit... I used one on my 51 build and the installation was great along with there staff support! I used a Ron Francis on my 54, great product but expensive and a long process installing. I used an asphalt coated clothe wire loom in two sizes with clothe elec tape where needed for a more traditional look, all from NAPA.

Heres a couple I did w the coated clothe loom if you can see it, just a thought for another option. Best of luck w your new xmas present!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

Wow, this is so nice... is this tech flex? If so then its nicer then the asphalt coated loom!!

26. 65fordguy

65fordguy

That is cloth insulated wire laced together... Tech flex comes in many sizes and colors..

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

27. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

^^^ Good to know Fordguy, ill have to do some research on this for My upcoming A build, ive seen this a lot but never looked into the name. Thanx

28. :cool:I have installed and sold tons of the e-z systems never any issues GM based cant get much easier.I have had a few customers bring in the keep it clean kits and at this point not wanting to install any more of them... Ron's kits are extremely nice as well

29. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Whose Ron ???

30. 65fordguy

65fordguy

Ron Francis I'm guessing

Sent from my LG-D800 using H.A.M.B. mobile app