Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 48 Plymouth Kustom

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by uglysteve, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Me and some buddies started chopping my car Monday and Tuesday. Got a good amount done in a couple days. I don't have any real metal shaping experience and I picked up a welder for the first time maybe 2 months ago. Did a few basic patches on the body and decided to quit thinking about chopping the car and just go for it! I've done most of the welding and shaped the new pieces myself. Used the "masking tape method" I saw on another I think we're looking pretty good so far!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. Pics coming right up

3. Figuring out where to cut
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1388651018.891987.jpg

Top off!
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1388651055.210872.jpg

'40 ford window lined up and tacked in
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1388651096.051018.jpg

"Masking tape method"
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1388651128.230166.jpg

As far as we got in 2 days
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1388651158.913975.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1388651170.145272.jpg

4. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Looks great so far. 40 ford rear glass was a cool touch. Good luck on the sail panels and thanks for posting.

5. Sweet! I love it when someone works on a "non" mainstream car. Can't wait to see the progress.

6. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

7. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

The forty Ford window is a great idea!

8. bako48

bako48

coming out nice. your sail panels flow good! how much did you take out? I like that ford window.

9. Thanks! We took 4 inches out of the A pillars and sort of moved the back of the roof up and down until it looked right. I've seen a couple other of these plymouths with split rear windows put in and had to do it. I think it looks so cool like that.

10. Planning on lowering it next. welding the fenders back on for that seamless look. I've got some 50 Chevy bumper guards I'm going to try to put some lenses in for tail lights. Molded lake pipes. Might peak the hood but I'm not sure yet. And I want to do some different headlights and grille maybe at some point. I got all kinds of ideas. Hopefully I can get a lot done while it's snowing over here...

11. 562roadster

562roadster

Dude! Nice job. The chop looks great.

12. bako48

bako48

Nice! I chopped my 48' ply. 3 inches and just welded my fenders on this last weekend. I peaked my hood to if you look in my profile. If I can help with anything just ask.

13. Orn

Orn

Nice work! I'm curious about the "Masking tape method" that you mention. Can you tell me more about it.

14. Nice. glad that car got the full treatment. if i woulda bought it i'da prolly just drove it.

15. Hey man if I lived in a warmer climate i would still be just driving it too! I drove that car every day from when it got here until about mid october. Rain or shine. One good thing about having a few months of bitter cold and snow I guess...got nothing to do, can't drive the old car, might as well use that to my advantage!

16. It was in this thread, which i got a lot of helpful information from. He was doing a real cool custom 47 plymouth and has a lot of progress pictures, but hasn't been updated in a while, which is a bummer.

one of the things he posted was instead of using posterboard or something for those sail panels he just slapped a bunch of masking tape over the area in the shape of the panel he needed to cut out, then basically pull the tape off the car in one solid piece, put it on a piece of sheet metal and cut it out.

once i had the masking tape template stuck on the sheet metal i lightly sprayed over the edges with random spray paint instead of trying to trace it with a sharpie since the tape is kind of flimsy and cut the pieces out. i even got away with just taping one side and was able to just flip the tape over and use that for the other side.

from there i just kind of bent them over my knee and a giant fire extinguisher and started tacking them in place starting with the edge closest to the rear window. worked out pretty good.

17. the masking tape thing might not work for every car but for this it was a really great idea.

18. 73RR

73RR

I am real curious about how many 40 Fords are available to donate a rear window section? Is someone making new panels?

Oh yeah, Good Job!

RustyBullet likes this.
  19. I got mine from a guy here on the HAMB. Posted a want ad for a split rear window. Turns out he's converting his sedan to a delivery and was able to cut the window out for me.

And thanks!

20. Raven53

Raven53
    from Irwin Pa

Looks great man, I will follow this one I have a 51 we are thinking of doing a full blown kemp.....just in the gathering stages already have some things mapped out . Keep up the good work

21. duke460

duke460
    from Wisconsin

Nice looking chop. Lots of P15s showing up. They have long been over looked and make a great car with a few modifications. Keep the pictures coming.

22. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

I'm glad this is happening! Looks very cool.

23. 48plysled

48plysled

looks good man. I'm glad to see another old mopar getting built up. Check out my page on my 48 might give ya some ideas with it. Just about to jump back onto my car here soon. Focus had been on my 54 dodge pickup but pretty much done with that one now. Keep up the good work.

24. Spanish Fly

Spanish Fly

looking sweet great work

25. bako48

bako48

Any proggresss on the car recently?

26. 41 C28

41 C28

The Ford rear window looks good. The Dodge, Desoto and Chrysler have a curved rear windows that might look good too. Did you fab the skirts? Keep up the good work.

27. Yeah a little progress. I've been finishing up the chop and doing some body work this past week. Got my fenders and deck lid back on and getting ready for a polar bear cruise on the 2nd. I'm only able to do a couple hours at a time lately so progress is slower. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1390428662.057443.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1390428675.888765.jpg

kiwijeff likes this.
  28. I'm planning on at least bagging the rear before spring so once I get ready to do that the fenders will come back off and I'll weld them on when it's all done so it's nice and smooth. I tried both rage gold and bondo brand body filler and the rage gold is definitely WAY better. Most of that is skim coat just to smooth things out.

29. bako48

bako48

Looking good. These cars are a pita to bodywork! The bulbous shape requires lots of patience. I got pics of my rear end bag setup if you need any as a reference.

30. Yeah that'd be really helpful. Thanks buddy!