Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ~~~ peaking & polishing a 32 axle ~~~

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 117harv, Dec 31, 2013.

1. 117harv

117harv

HPIM0979 (Small).JPG HPIM0986 (Small).JPG HPIM0988 (Small).JPG HPIM1399 (Small).JPG I was contacted by a member and asked if I would be interested in giving his 32 axle a bit of special treatment, my answer was yes, of course. The freshly dropped axle was set to me, and while it is in realitivly good shape for it's age, as soon as I had it in my hands I knew it was going to be a challenge:cool::)

Here is the axle as I recieved it, again it looks good, but as the thread moves forward its blems will be seen. Here are the tools I used, plus a milling machine, air compressor, vice, welder and lots of elbow grease.

Last edited: May 22, 2015
  2. 117harv

117harv

HPIM1002 (Small).JPG HPIM1003 (Small).JPG HPIM0995 (Small).JPG HPIM0996 (Small).JPG HPIM0992 (Small).JPG HPIM1001 (Small).JPG Here are some close up pics showing factory blems as well as battle scars, some deep pits in the recess. Note the wishbone mount, I see this on lots of axles. The perch bolt gets abit loose and the whishbone works back and forth ever so slightly, the chafing wears the axle and bones, more on this later. It also appears that one king pin bore was worked on to tighten it up.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. 117harv

117harv

HPIM1182 (Small).JPG HPIM1188 (Small).JPG HPIM1190 (Small).JPG HPIM1195 (Small).JPG HPIM1196 (Small).JPG HPIM1197 (Small).JPG I set the axle up in the area where I do my cutting and grinding and started the fun. Polishing lots of items as I do, I have developed a feel for when to stop, and to know that filling will be needed, this will need it. I rough in the peak with a flap wheel on the angle grinder, stopping when it has been taken down as far as I can. I then use a file and give it a once over, after filing you can see any low spots, and it helps to get the peak line centered.

Note the the area marked with the sharpie, it is a small dent on the edge, instead of trying bend it back, I weld it up on top and grind down the inside. I have done this before and it works the best.....more to come.

ratrodrodder and kidcampbell71 like this.
  4. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Interesting process.

117harv likes this.

5. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

You have more patients than me. I'm watching this, very cool.

117harv likes this.
  6. Curious as to why this process?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. If this is as good as those bones btt from a few years ago it will be awesome.
    I get nervousness about cleaning up all the pits and divots.

117harv likes this.
  9. The37Kid

The37Kid

Looks good so far, will this get chromed or detailed for paint? Bob

117harv likes this.
  10. A Rodder

A Rodder

Nice work Harv!

117harv likes this.
  11. 117harv

117harv

About the dent, it takes alot of force to remove it, a hammer and or a blunt punch, no matter how careful you use them will also leave a mark/marks and then you may need to fill/weld them up. A small amount of weld on top and quick grinding on both sides takes care of it in short order.

kidcampbell71 and Atwater Mike like this.
  12. 117harv

117harv

HPIM1210 (Small).JPG HPIM1214 (Small).JPG HPIM1330 (Small).JPG HPIM1331 (Small).JPG HPIM1332 (Small).JPG HPIM1346 (Small).JPG I welded up all the low spots, a small weld here and there, let cool for 15 minutes. I repeat this process untill all the low spots are filled. Strangely, the bottom neded no filling:cool: I hit all with the grinder and flap wheel again until both sides are smooth with a nice straight peak. I can't state how careful you need to be during this process, one wayward push with the grinder and the peak is, well not good....more to come.

13. There are some threads that you just know will be great,
    This is one of them.

tommyd and 117harv like this.
  14. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Harv, you have the touch for making old Ford parts look like new. I am still in love with those 36 rear bones you did. Did you do any front bones in the past with holes?
    Lynn

117harv likes this.
  15. 117harv

117harv

I have an album with some pics on my profile page.

16. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Its looking beautiful, as usual Harv!

117harv likes this.
  17. Man,that looks great! HRP

117harv likes this.
  18. NealinCA

NealinCA

Beautiful work!

117harv likes this.
  19. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I've repaired some axles, similar to your methods. Are your repair welds mig welded?
    I used my mig to fill low spots, but pre heated the mass before welding...
    Your work is meticulous. (Amen to the caution needed with the grinder on the 'peak'...One false move...LOL Been there!)
    Thanks for a GREAT thread.

117harv likes this.
  20. samfab

samfab

TIG welded... Awesome work harv... looking forward to the finished product...

117harv likes this.
  21. 117harv

117harv

HPIM0996 (Small).JPG HPIM0999 (Small).JPG HPIM1387 (Small).JPG HPIM1388 (Small).JPG HPIM1390 (Small).JPG HPIM1392 (Small).JPG HPIM1414 (Small).JPG HPIM1431 (Small).JPG Thanks for the kind words guys, it's a love hate relationship for sure:)

Back to the worn wishbone mounts, what I decided to do is to mill them down just as was done at the factory to get them flat again. I set the axle up in the mill, used a 2" end mill and carefully took off just enough to get them flat. As you can see by the depth of the cut on the edge there was a good size ammount of wear.

After I machined them I used two different grits of small sanding discs and followed up with a small Scotch brite pad to get rid of the chatter marks and polish them up. I also blended in the peak to the mount area, it still needs some more detail work but it's getting closer. I know what you are thinking, yes the mount area is too thin now, but this was the best solution to the problem. Trying to build up the whole area with weld would be alot of work and heat, It is just under an 1/8" thinner now, a shim will be needed to take up the gap during final assembly, how thick depends on final finishes thickness...the axle and wishbone will be chromed.

mgtstumpy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  22. The37Kid

The37Kid

Beautiful work, how many hours so far? Bob

117harv likes this.
  23. Beautiful work indeed, Dropped my A axle and your work has convinced me that it is going to get this treatment, Just as your beautiful split bones did.
    Jason..

117harv and 392modela like this.
  24. 117harv

117harv

HPIM1337 (Small).JPG HPIM1339 (Small).JPG HPIM1396 (Small).JPG HPIM1395 (Small).JPG HPIM1425 (Small).JPG HPIM1416 (Small).JPG Ok, in my first post I said the axle was in good shape for it's age, and it is, however here is what the recess looked like:eek: I first used a file on edge, two side by side at times to cover more area in each pass. I rounded the ends of the file later as it kept digging in when rocked up and at the ends of the recess where the transition is. Pics three and four show low areas that needed filling, pic three welded and smoothed is shown, look close, still one small pin hole needs filling.

After the vast majority of the nasty pitted surface was gone, well atleast untill my fingers were too sore to run the file anymore, I switched to the die grinder with flap wheel. You have to move quickly to keep from digging holes/low spots, running parallel and cross ways as much as possible. Even being as careful as I can, the recess will need block sanding to get real flat....stay tuned.

mgtstumpy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  25. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Great work as always Harv.

117harv likes this.
  26. Avgas

Avgas

Harv, great work but not surprising when you see your previous posts! What's your total hours spent on a raw axle to detail polish? I do a stainless steel axle in 12 hrs with a little more tools! I start my polishing with a 9" angle grinder! Cheers Wayne

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

117harv likes this.
  27. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Looks awesome already, it will be beautiful when you are done with it. What do you use for filler rod?

117harv likes this.
  28. choppedtudor

choppedtudor

I went through this process with the front axel on my T-bucket, getting it ready for chrome. You do fantastic work. It's so nice to see CRAFTSMEN doing what they do best. I can't wait to see the 'finished' product.

117harv likes this.
  29. 117harv

117harv

HPIM1439 (Small).JPG HPIM1438 (Small).JPG HPIM1437 (Small).JPG HPIM1440 (Small).JPG HPIM1442 (Small).JPG HPIM1449 (Small).JPG Worked on the bottom today, got the peak looking pretty good on the ends, they flow nicely into the king pin boss. The wishbone mount unlike the top, just needed a light clean up. Also detailed one recess pretty good, some very small texture still left to remove, raw finger tips:(. In the 5th pic you can see a small pin hole on the beam edge, still trying to sand it out. In the pic with the Alliance tag you can see some wavyness, that wll be blocked out on final polish as well. Have I mentioned how much work this is and that I am super picky?:)...stay tuned.

dana barlow, ls1yj, mgtstumpy and 3 others like this.
  30. richie rebel

richie rebel

great job, looking good..........

117harv likes this.