Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage 2014 AMBR Contender Sneak Peek

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 39ChevyBob, Dec 30, 2013.

1. Hope this works (clik to enlarge-LOVE the interior)

Attached Files:

2. me too.

3. 296ardun

296ardun

I hope it wins, if it is up against the mega-dollar cars that have won in the past...I pretty much lost interest in the AMBR award decades ago, though when Ermie Immerso's Ardun deuce won, I briefly had hope (did like the '27 roadster with the V8-60 that won last year, though!). Yes, there are probably things that we would change (I would not run stock 32 headlights, for example), but it's not our car, and it is much nicer than most recent contenders...

4. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

X2 on the headlights, doesnt fit with the mid-fifties theme, about the only thing on the car that doesn't...

5. autobilly

autobilly

6. metal man

metal man

I thought the same thing. I don't think they look quite right,but it's nicer than any of my beaters, so I wont pick on it:)

7. Nice car. Truthfully at a car show I would probably not look twice at it .I would love to see the competition put a dollar cap on build spend. A true backyard builder with a chance to compete in it.
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig --> __________________
    how to you put a price cap on a competition designed to show off the talents of those who are considered to be the top builders?

Basically, does a show car REALLY have to have a $20,000 chrome budget? <!-- / message --><!-- sig --> __________________
    yes, as long as its not mine.

8. T McG

T McG
    from Phoenix

I always respect guys that can build a car like this. But, as far as being 1956, it misses. Wrong air cleaners, wrong headlights, tie wraps on the plug wires, modern spring, 1" white walls might have been available but didn't really gain popularity until the early 60's, and please, please tell me those aren't Dolphin gauges because they sure look like them.

Sorry, but you asked for opinions. Very nice car, but not correct to that time period.

9. did u see the pics of the green coupe u asked for?

10. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Don't care if it wins or not, it's a beautiful car, imo.

11. Sounds like a lot of arm chair judges.:D HRP

12. metal man

metal man

Yes, thanks. I see a lot of similarities between the two cars. Nice work.

13. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm afraid 20k wouldnt come close .Fred.On a full on total show ride,it would blow you away the prep work the chrome takes.It's like paint work times ten.You don't get to hide any thing with fillers and primers.Now go pick up your rearend housing and polish it for hours on end.

14. metal man

metal man

I think the thing I like most about this car is the '40 column shift. I don't know why we don't see more of them in hot rods.

15. Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. It's seems like as soon as it was revealed that it was an AMBR contender, the claws came out. I greatly respect any builder who devotes the time, effort, and money to compete for the AMBR trophy. I will bet that the '32 will look great on display in the Big Building.

Vic Cunningham took over the AMBR judging a few years ago, and these are the cars that he's trying to re-introduce back into the competition. Seeing $400K fiberglass cars with 24" billet wheels was getting really boring, and I think that it's the right move.

16. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Beautiful car. I love the white top and pinstripe whites. Love the headlights. Dig the chrome stamped steel valve covers. Love the color.

I could care less about whether it has a chance in the arena or not. I could also care less about whether it perfectly fits a "one year" era or not. Wasn't into drama or debate clubs in school, but I think I do know what is cool. Cool that it will be there and a beautiful car for sure.

Nice work.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

17. aonemarine

aonemarine
    from Delaware

Im not judging, I just want to drive that puppy!! To each is own, I like what I like and could give a rats ass what others think of it. I may not like every aspect of a car someone has built, but im sure there is something I can find that I like about every car.

18. 39ChevyBob

39ChevyBob

HRP - The guys really don't think they have a chance against the mega buck builds, but I am glad they went this direction and think it's a great statement about the original intent of AMBR...the most beuatiful, not the most expensive.

Probably my lousy picture taking, as I don't think they did that much modifying of the original. The chopped windshield and modified top does make the car look a little longer.

They know this is not a perfect "one year" build, but the spirit was to stay around the era. Didn't have much chance for discussion on this, but they mentioned 1956 as general look. Terry knows period correctness better than anyone I have met, and is not trying to hit everything dead on - I think partially for the owners tastes, and partly due to budget. I did ask about the headlights...just got a smile. The gauges are one offs built from Classic for the car.

That's about all I know from my short visit this morning. Glad most of you like it, and really interesting to hear the feedback, as I am not anywhere close to an expert on these builds....but it was enjoyable to stare and drool for a while today. Can't wait to see it completed.

19. From the (circa 1966) "BATMAN" television series:

[​IMG]
    "THE RIDDLER"

:
    :

From Autorama.com:

[​IMG]
    Don Ridler

[​IMG]
    DETROIT AUTORAMA RIDLER AWARD

Don Ridler was the first professional promoter hired by the Michigan Hot Rod Association to assist them with the fledgling Autorama in the fifties. With Don&#8217;s creativity and professional approach in promoting, Autorama was able to grow tremendously, and eventually move to its present home at Cobo Center in 1961. In 1963, Autorama decided to honor Don Ridler, who had prematurely passed away, with an award given in his name.

Originally the award was given to the Best Vehicle shown for the first time. Over the last forty-nine years the award has evolved to better conform to new ideas, changing designs and concepts. Today it emphasizes creativity, engineering and workmanship. Anyone building a vehicle for Ridler competition should post these words on their garage wall. The vehicle that best represents these three areas will win the Ridler Award.

In addition to the above judging guidelines, there are a few hard and fast rules, with no exceptions.

The vehicle must make its first public showing at the Detroit Autorama. Showing the vehicle at any indoor or outdoor show or any unique part of the entry, i.e. frame, engine or body, will make it ineligible for the competition. Please feel free to contact us with any questions about eligibility.

Realizing that car owners and builders may need some form of exposure to develop interest or to gain sponsorship, vehicles contending for the Ridler Award may have limited exposure as follows: Magazines or video of the building process are allowed, only of individual components such as chassis only, engine only, body panels being built, but not assembled. Photos, internet, magazine, TV coverage or video of the entry in its completed form, with or without paint, interior or engine are not permitted. If the coverage of the entry gives the appearance of a total or completed car, painted or not, the vehicle entry will be disqualified from the Ridler Award competition. Additionally, no articles may be written about the build project; allowable coverage is limited to photos with captions only.

:
    :

From Rodshows.com:

[​IMG]

AMERICA&#8217;S MOST BEAUTIFUL ROADSTER
    Sponsored by Pirelli Tires &#8211;WINNER WILL BE AWARDED $10,000, Trophy, & name on the 9&#8217; Perpetual Trophy.​

To qualify, owners must verify that it is the first time the vehicle has been entered and shown in a judged competition where a judges sheet has not been ran on the vehicle.

Open to all United States built roadsters, roadster pickups and touring vehicles 1937 and older, including designer roadsters that resemble a 1937 or older roadster.

The AMBR is a special class with awards for Display, Engineering, Undercarriage, Paint, Engine, Interior, and Detail. All entrants will receive a class participation award and therefore are not eligible for other Rod Category class awards. Vehicles are eligible for other Grand National Roadster Show pick awards except for the Al Slonaker award.

All AMBR entries must be operable. All vehicles must run, drive forward and reverse, turn left and right, under their own power. Vehicles must be able to stop using their own braking system.

All AMBR entries will be displayed in 20x20&#8217;s. All AMBR contenders must bring their own display. (Photos required).

The AMBR winner is determined by a point system from the judging staff.

20. aonemarine

aonemarine
    from Delaware

^^^ well shit!!!

21. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

WOW, that car is beautiful. Really nice to see a traditional roadster. Good luck to Terry and the lucky owner. Thanks for the pics ChevyBob and thanks to F/U for the 3 window pics.

22. FOURTYDLX

FOURTYDLX

Terry: Good luck, Looking awesome. les

23. It goes without saying that we all have likes & dislikes when it comes to building a car and enjoy pointing out things that doesn't work with our tunnel vision line of thinking.

This doesn't work,that is wrong for the period and so on,IMHO,for a car like this to contend and actually win would add credibility to the AMBR,,the big wheels,gold plating and million dollar cars are something the mass majority of our membership just can't relate.

Clean,detailed and traditional. HRP

24. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

I've been looking at show cars for 50 plus years as well as reading about high dollar builds for an even longer time. I've yet to see or read about a high dollar car that didn't have some ideas that were worth stealing for my builds!

Looking forward to the GNRS and getting new ideas as well as seeing old friends.

25. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Its a nice car, but I'd like to see something really different enter... Maybe time for a radical entry like back in the day when the Ala Kart rolled in...

26. I dig it. Can wait to see it i person.

27. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

If the Ala Kart were to be entered now all the thirty year olds would say it's not traditional!:)

28. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

from what I have heard, a lot of guys had more or less the same complaint in 1957...

29. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

What a beautiful hotrod. I couldn't give a crap less if it's "worthy" of some award.

And I love the color.

30. lcfman

lcfman
    from tn

fly united. I have a question on the 32 mint green 3 window photo's. On the interior shot you posted the seat cloth looks to be 59 Chevrolet truck material. I need some of that material. Anyone know were to obtain it?