Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration How many H.A.M.B.ers are book authors?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chevy Gasser, Dec 29, 2013.

1. jangleguy

jangleguy

PS: Speaking of honors, I was stoked to be involved with Rik Hoving's Jack Stewart book - fun gig and cool book!

2. no55mad

no55mad

My bro in law wrote a book, 'Forty Cars That Owned Me'. He's in the process of writing a sequel. He sent a copy to Jay Leno and Leno replyed by calling him. If you Google the title I believe his web site comes up.

3. toml24

toml24

In 2006, after 14 years of research I wrote and self-published the nostalgia auto racing book "Memories of the California Jalopy Association". I was able to get Mr. Parnelli Jones to write the "Foreword" for the book. Even though I contributed a few short stories to the monthly Vintage Oval Racing magazine this was an all-new experience for me. I made-up the rules as I went since I had no idea what I was getting myself into. I figured this was going to be a one shot effort to get it right so I did everything cover to cover and let the chips fall as they may. I made a lot of new friends in 14 years and have been lucky the book has now been printed 3-times. It more or less sells itself. Either you like it or you don't. I'm happy with the results.

Attached Files:

4. Muttley

Muttley

5. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Indeed, Jay was one hell of a writer though and one hell of a great guy. Like many others I miss Jay, RIP mate.

I attempted to string together what you would 'sort' of call a diary I kept at one time in my service. The first draft had to be vetted by the Army for anything that could be considered 'Classified material'.
    I have since been informed that I am not permitted to have this released into public domain and had all drafts and original material confiscated.
    Well, I signed on the dotted line that gave them the right to do so! Probably a good thing, I dare say my writing leaves much to be desired!

Doc.

6. NoSurf

NoSurf

I do miss Jay too. He was very inspirational and supportive to me to write the story Grandpa's Hotrod. I am honored to be a part of this great community we call "The HAMB", that truly encourages creativity in so many different ways.

7. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

SPIKE did a nice book on the styling differences between East Coast and West Coast cars, with his own great photography.

8. Obviously did not know! What a loss!

9. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

I have edited the technical content of a few books for Dennis Parks, that were published by Motorbooks. I wrote the introduction for some of those books. I am a much better reader, than a writer, but I enjoyed helping Dennis.

John

10. pitman

pitman

Jay was a stalwart HAMB-help to anyone who asked.
    A great fellow, I just wish we'd been able to meet on-the-road.

11. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Thanx Bill, yep, five books, the majority of them about the '60's and all the car trouble "we" got into (I had a three year old '57 Chevy in 1960...!!!).

[​IMG]

The first two books- "Bangin' Gears & Bustin' Heads" and "Fast Cars, 4-speeds & Fist-fights" is now available on Amazon's Kindle e-book reader or Barnes & Noble's Nook...Four of them (printed versions) can still be purchased on Amazon.com.

[​IMG]

My 100,000 word Thriller novel - "Arsenal Code R.E.D." will be available on Amazon's Kindle after the first of the year.
    R-

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  12. 65deluxe

65deluxe

My two books are pictured in my avatar. Grumpys Toys and Junior Stock are available pretty much anywhere online or through your local bookstore. A third book, Legendary Drag Cars is to be released in mid 2014.
    My 2 cents, you have to have a real love and passion for what your writing about because it is time consuming and takes a genuine effort to see it through and to do it right.
    Doug

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  13. Attached Files:

14. Daddiojoe

Daddiojoe
    from Austin, TX

I've done a lot of self publishing, but have had three published by other people:

Harmon Place--short stories published by Primal Press

Galvanized--poetry from Dalton Publishing

Diamond Plate--poetry from Obsolete! Press

I'd bet y'all would dig the poetry--there's car and mechanical stuff in the books and I try to make it accessible. The poems don't rhyme. You can find books under my name on Amazon, etc.

W. Joe Hoppe

(thanks for asking)

15. NoSurf

NoSurf

Jay posted his entire story The Red Roadster here on the HAMB in 4 parts.

part 1 here.

16. 296ardun

296ardun

If you mean books on hot rodding, none. Written 6 books on Middle East, and military things (base closure). Latest just came out 2 weeks ago...

[​IMG]

17. I write fiction, two novels published. My name is Lamar Wadsworth, published The Spirit of This Covenant in 2001 and Remembering Miss Addie in 2013. Available on Amazon, B&N.

18. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Rarely lay claim to it now, but I'm a former newspaper writer/editor/designer/layout guy and photographer.

I am proud to say Street Rodder magazine used some of my photos for promo material one year.

19. Roger, I loved reading your stories about the scene in Mo Valley, Fremont and Omaha in the early '60s in GG. Since I was born in '61 and grew up about 20 miles from both Fremont and Omaha, those stories helped me recall some things and let me picture what it must have been like to be a gearhead 10-15 years before I came of age cruising US 30, Bell or Military, or ripping it up on US 275 outside Valley. Sadly, I don't think anyone will write the same way about what life was like in the mid-late '70s - oh, wait, maybe I should give it a shot since we still had drive-ins, muscle cars and keggers in alfalfa fields. Thanks.

20. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Thanx Flash, we had a great time back then...we'd also run Wahoo, David City and west to Schuyler and Columbus...I got bloodied up in Columbus one Friday nite when I beat a '62 Ford with my '57 Chevy...not once but twice...then instead of paying up, the owner beat me...Learned a lesson that night, never take on an owner/driver bigger than you are....!!! We used to terrorize Blair and Harlan as well...Cops kicked us out of a few towns - if they saw us cruising Main too many times, they'd stop us, check for beer and driver's licenses and then tell us to leave, "not now, but right now." and follow us to the city limits to make sure we'd left. Six guys in a car was intimidating...to anyone, altho we'd never pick a fight...we were only interested in racing...!!!

R-

21. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Jim Lindsay (Hogfarmer) has written 3 books, the latest is set in the 50's. It is a fiction novel in the vein of a Henry Gregor Felson book called the "Little Bastards". It follows the lives of a group of kids who make the transition from bicycles to hotrods, and raising hell along the way. At 280 pages, it is like a ride in a time machine back to the Eisenhower era. Jim even found the the cover photo here on the HAMB!

Attached Files:

22. CNC-Dude

CNC-Dude

With all this book writing talent here, I feel we should start a book club.LOL

23. fat141

fat141

Can vouch for all of the books of Roger Jetter , couple of posts above, all easy to read and very entertaining.
    We also have one of the best auto authors,IMO. on board here .......PAT GANAHL.
    One of the best to me.
    Cheers an Happy New Year
    Rod

24. Chevy Gasser

Chevy Gasser

I have three of Pat Ganahls books and enjoy them all but what is his HAMB user name?

25. fat141

fat141

Sure someone will know, cause he is on here
    Rod

26. pitman

pitman

One of the best: pgan

27. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I agree :See post #13 on this thread.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  28. pgan

pgan
    Member Emeritus

Thanks guys. I'm glad somebody remembered my name. I don't write on here often, because I'm usually busy writing other things. But I do follow the H.A.M.B. pretty regularly to see what's going on, and stay informed.

But I'll take this opportunity to mention that I finished a new book about three months ago, called "Hot Rod Gallery." This one is basically a collection of the best photos from my huge archive, which I've been building and saving for 40-some years now. This volume covers the '30, '40, and '50s, showing mostly unseen photos (taken by people well before my time) from Muroc, the streets, early drags, the first car shows, early customs, and so on.

The publisher is CarTech Books, who says it will be released sometime in May. However, I have seen it already advertised (with a cover photo and deeply discounted price) on
    Amazon, WallMart, and possibly other web sites for "presale" (which is a bit premature). However, I will guarantee that this one is written, captioned, done, and turned it. It just takes the publisher a while to lay it out, edit it, and do other "packaging" before it gets printed, shipped and released.

Hope you enjoy this one. There's some good stuff in it.

Cheers (and Happy New Year!), Pat Ganahl

29. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Bank of America commissioned an informational book series on business start ups for their commercial loan department. I wrote the one on auto parts stores and speed shops. Wrote probably 250-300 features and byline columns on the speed equipment industry for trade magazines.

30. I wrote a story for car culture deluxe [vol. 1, #1] about a trip I took to the west coast in my delivery. Wrote a couple stories for Rogers column in the Goodguys gazette. My Brother, Jangleguy is the author in the family tho...