Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 26 roadster build; Bang Bang

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by h.i., Nov 4, 2012.

1. h.i.

h.i.
    from denver

Thanks for the props guys! We love the hard way, haha. Actually, I thought we would need the extra length to clear the wishbones and I liked the ball. Turns out the ball needs replaced anyway. We ran in to other issues with the wishbones and need to redo some things. More updates next week I hope. Tonight we are working on Pineapples new pile.

2. Olderchild

Olderchild
    from Ohio

It's always good to have a back up plan B;)

3. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:)Lookin good !!!!!:D:cool:

4. Cool project!

5. LSR 2909

LSR 2909
    from Colorado

Any updates H.I.?

6. h.i.

h.i.
    from denver

Sorry. Not much going on over here. Been working on pineapple's 27 instead. Also been distracted by mtn bikes, broken diesels and yard work. Be back on it soon.

7. LSR 2909

LSR 2909
    from Colorado

I heard rumors you guys were back at it. What gives?

8. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Great build I was working on making a new body for my '27 when I thought I would take a brake and look on the hamb for some inspiration- and I found your thread. I have subscribed so I can read it properly later. I have to get back to my build now. Here is a link to my build if you are interested...

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=596032

David

9. PINEAPPLE

PINEAPPLE

I heard rumors you guys were back at it. What gives?

Back at what?

Attached Files:

kiwijeff likes this.
  10. h.i.

h.i.
    from denver

Wow, thanks David! Cant imagine this car inspiring you, haha. I swear I'll order a dvd someday, it's on the list. Really impresssed by your work. If we ever make it back to england to visit our friends in Norfolk, maybe we can try to look you up!

11. GARY?

GARY?

On a side note: we gonna' see you guys doing Bonneville this year?

12. PINEAPPLE

PINEAPPLE

Yeah, we are going for sure..

Attached Files:

13. 510madmav

510madmav

Dude awesome build I love this car so far. One question , what did you do to by pass the center bearing in the tt?

14. PINEAPPLE

PINEAPPLE

Madmav, if you look at post #134-#139 you can see the driveshaft we built.
    It may be a little vague, but if you want all the gory details I can help you out (p.m. me if you need). Basically, we built our own driveshaft from 1.5" o.d. d.o.m. tubing, using the original early ford d. shaft ends.The short over all length combined with the tubular shaft should prevent it from whipping around inside the torque tube.We have not yet tested this, so the jury is still out.
    Matt.

15. PINEAPPLE

PINEAPPLE

Oh, sorry.. No more center bearing, that was the section we cut out when we shortened the tube.

16. h.i.

h.i.
    from denver

Hey Gary! Yes I think the plan is come out saturday. Camping again. Well look for you!

Thanks 510. We built the driveshaft from 120 wall DOM and had it balanced. See post #134. Can't use a solid shaft with no bearing. You could keep the center bearing and shorten everything from each end, but I think we felt this was less work.

17. PINEAPPLE

PINEAPPLE

No balancing, only flame straightened to .004-.005 runout along any part of the shaft while being held in the original ford centers on the ends. This was only done to compensate for all the welding done on either end of the shaft, however the pieces we made were press fit and the welding was done intermittently to keep heat down. The worst spot on the shaft for runout was .035-.040, once welding was complete.

18. h.i.

h.i.
    from denver

Shows you what I know, haha

19. Looking forward to you guys doing some more here, way cool stuff you's do. JW :)

20. PINEAPPLE

PINEAPPLE

Thanks from the both of us utes. (well maybe not so much anymore:D)
    Life is always getting in the way of productivity:mad:
    This fall we should be hittin it hard again though.

21. h.i.

h.i.
    from denver

Driving it NEXT summer seems to be within reach. Who knows...

22. h.i.

h.i.
    from denver

Damn, been a while since an update. Apologies for anyone following along. We moved the steering box back a bit to address some of the front end issues. Now waiting on parts. Hope to have a better update soon. Cheers!

23. Good to see you are still at it, was thinking you hade fallen off the planet. Love your build, its simply cool. JW :)

24. h.i.

h.i.
    from denver

Happy holidays to everyone. This update has been a long time coming. Had to take care of some other business and stuff gets in the way, blah blah blah. We ran in to some issues with the front end setup and had to redo some things. We were getting interference between the pitman arm and wishbones and had to make some major changes. We relocated the steering box and made new wishbone mounts. Also flipped the bones back over for Sam, haha. With that done we were able to get back on the steering.

Pineapple at work

[​IMG]

Pitman arm on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Steering arms bent for tie rod clearance

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So that's it for now. Next up I need to add some metal to the dash so I can fit the new cluster and relocate the column drop. Then we can shorten the column and get a steering wheel on there. After that, we get back on the pedals. Hope everyone has a great holiday. See you next year.

OFT likes this.
  25. Cali4niaCruiser

Cali4niaCruiser

Glad to see you working out a few engineering issues. Your car is coming out great. I look forward to next years progress.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

26. daddio211

daddio211

27. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Well I finally got 'round to reading the whole thread, very inspiring. I may be able to do metalwork but I am not good with machining and your build is very inspiring. If you get back to the UK I am only an hour or so from Norfolk so look me up you would be welcome.

Love the build - keep up the good work.

David

28. PINEAPPLE

PINEAPPLE

daddio211, He's just got the steering arms bent down for initial clearance...one last thing at the end of the evening ya know.. once we sort out the drag link, we will fit the tie rod, and move the arms in if need be..

brEad likes this.
  29. daddio211

daddio211

Okay, just hoping to help you guys out. You certainly know what you're doing but sometimes we "forget" a few little details. Carry on, I'll be quiet again! :eek:

30. h.i.

h.i.
    from denver

Thanks guys! Good to be making some progress after a long break. Hopefully I can keep it up. Ackerman should be fine, the arm was only shortened by maybe a half inch. I would be more concerned about quickening of the steering. I will drop some lines and check it later.

I had to add some height to the dash to make the column drop and the gauges work. Now David can make fun of my metalworking skills. Check our Frankendash! 77 dodge monaco hood combined with 28 dodge sedan dash. I will figure something out to smooth it out later. I just need to position the column right now so we can shorten it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

OFT, brEad and Matthew like this.