Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Oh no not another Willys Gasser build, this time a Willys shop truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by langy, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Inland empire hot rods

Inland empire hot rods
    from so cal

nevermind, it helps to read the WHOLE posts lol y block! I had a feeling, my pops has a 312 in his tbird.... Gonna be another awesome build!

2. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

Cool project. What are your paint plans for the body?

3. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Yes Mark a Y block, nothing fancy just a nice useable motor, I love the sound they make.

4. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Primer to match my coupe, I thought it would make a cool tow car ?

pchop51 likes this.
  5. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

I was hoping you would choose a heavy metalflake DEEEEEP ruby red;):D

6. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

This needs to be usuable and cheap so no posh paint jobs I'm afraid

7. brg404

brg404
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Im curious if you got the last hole in your axle drilled? Do you think a plasma cutter might take the temper out of that spot?

8. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Havnt had a chance to address the problem yet as everywhere is closed here due to Xmas & new year but when I do I will post it up here, thanks for asking 👍
    I havnt been slacking though, been making engine mounts.

9. 52stude43

52stude43

will be watching this one , always great work from langy

10. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks, your very kind :eek:

11. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Well with Xmas & New Year out of the way normal sevice is resumed

The ply template was used as a guide for the plasma cutter, the edges were dressed and the various holes drilled, To ensure the centre hole was actually in the centre this time I turned up a piece of aluminium bar to act as a mandrel and drilled through the holes in the timing case and spotted the holes. To make it easier to remove a piece was cut out and replaced with a piece that bolts in place.

[​IMG]

Next the chassis mounts were made up for the early ford style mounts, someone asked how the plate was bent around the outside, I just tack it in place and then just smack it around a piece of tube with a rawhide mallet and tack weld as I go, then finish weld inside & out and then linish smooth.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Heres the finished mount ready to weld to the frame.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. 1954ROYAL

1954ROYAL
    from Georgia

As a machinist myself, you are doing great work. Gonna be an awesome ride.

13. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Just read your thread all the way through and looking forward to more. Between the top notch fabrication and the Y-block this is gonna be one of my "looking forward to more" threads for sure! Subscribed.

14. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks !!!

15. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Hope you enjoy it, thanks for the kind comment.

16. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Only got a few hours in the shop last night as had to pay a visit to the Osteopath at 4pm :(, came back but felt like I had been in a bar fight !!! I'm sure its done me some good though :).

Anyway I tried to save the original front spring U bolts but the threads were knackered so found some stainless U bolts but they were slightly too short, solved the problem by turning up some barrel nuts.

[​IMG]

Next job was to make up a bolt in front ladder bar mount, on the 16 chassis there are 2 chassis legs going back from the centre section, they are riveted in place so my plan is to drill out some of the rivets and use them to hold the plate in place, I will re rivet later.
    First I made up the brackets for the front mount, they other side of the bracket will be the chassis leg.

[​IMG]

Started to make up the main base plate in 3/16" steel but back started to seize up a bit so retired for the evening.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Not got as much done as I would of liked today as had lots of customers popping in, first person to call in was Allan (53pop) but he came in handy as I needed someone to hold the ladder bars while I marked the base plate, thanks Al.

Thought I would post a pic of the frame centre section so it all makes sense.

[​IMG]

Once I had a guideline it was back to the workshop to weld the brackets in place, the only piece of steel plate I had the right size was black so I expected to encounter weld problems, even after cleaning the black off it still don't tig weld that nicely for some reason ? the BMS is much nicer stuff.
    First job was to get a 3" hole in the plate, a holesaw quickly did this job, next a piece of tube was spun to size in the lathe and welded into the hole with 9/16" sticking out to match the return I had planned, then the brackets were welded in place.

[​IMG]

Next I added a return at the rear edge to stiffen the plate.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here the ladder bars are temporarily bolted in place, they are 36" apart on the axle casing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All I need now is one fine day and I should have a rolling frame with the motor mounted

18. Inland empire hot rods

Inland empire hot rods
    from so cal

Steve, once again I find your posts inspirational! thanks pal!

19. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Your welcome, hope it all makes sense.

20. brady1929

brady1929

Looks great. You are very talented.

21. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Well finally got the last hole in the axle sorted, It still didn't drill nicely and no matter what we tried it went off slightly, there seems to be a rock hard vein running through the steel, I've decided to live with it, nobody will ever notice

[​IMG]

Had a slice of good fortune at the weekend as found my 56" wide rear axle casing wasn't gonna be wide enough with my 10" wide rear wheels and I would need a 58" case, Well I had ordered a new case from Curries for a customer but it had got dented slightly during shipping, Curries sent a replacement and told me to keep the old one, a couple of hours with a big fooking hammer and some heat saw it all straight again and its 58" wide

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had a few sets of Strange axles hanging around that Strange had delivered the wrong size (don't ask, its not unusual ) Armed with my trusty tape measure I found a pair that needed 1/2" trimming off the ends and they would slide into my case perfectly

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also found a 32 Ford aluminium radiator in my stash, its setup for a Chevy but I can adapt it to suit the ford motor easily, should keep the old Y block nice and cool.

[​IMG]

22. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Free or cheap parts are always a bonus! Saves dollars for other parts! Nice score!

23. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Nice work! I'm always amazed at the ideas that pop up on here....

24. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Its sometimes very handy when companies send me the wrong parts as its a long way to send them back Vall :D

25. 1954ROYAL

1954ROYAL
    from Georgia

Love love love your work. Pure talent.

26. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks Pete

27. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks a lot, your very kind

28. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

When is the body coming?

29. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

It will be along soon, well the front half anyway :D I want to get the chassis to rolling stage first (hopefully next few days)
    We don't have a pickup mould but we do have a pickup back panel & doors so intention is to mould off the back panel and use the front half of our coupe mould and join the 2 halves together, then take a mould of the body, Not sure how much yet but I intend to stretch it slightly as the stock size is too small for me to get into :(

30. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Love the build and the work. Have you thought about double sheering the ladder bar mount with 2 x additional brackets on the outside to spread the load? The sort of thing we do down here to get through technical inspections to facilitate registration. A lot of load for the bolts to take by themselves when driven. Just a though, not a criticism.