Register now to get rid of these ads!

ID this tool?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Wild Turkey, Dec 30, 2013.

1. Wild Turkey

Wild Turkey

[​IMG]

Lot of folks are guessing what specialty this multi-tool is designed for, or is it just a "multi-tool"?

The guy who posted the pix I copied said it came from a HVAC shop but it's got stuff they wouldn't use.

Any good ideas?:confused:

2. Gerry Moe

Gerry Moe

Kind of resembles a horse shoeing tool, back in history sheet metal workers were derived from blacksmiths, sheet metal workers became HVAC installers, iron workers also.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  3. whtbaron

whtbaron
    from manitoba

Maybe, but I would be more inclined to say wooden shingle repair. You can split them to size, nail them or remove nails all with the one tool.... maybe...

4. Gerry Moe

Gerry Moe

Makes sense

5. Damn! I'll bet you're right!

6. I'm thinking it's a multi tool,,I believe one part of the handle is also a screw driver,the other part of the handle could be used as a pry bar,,the top looks like a hatchet,hammer and the opening is used as pliers.

I remember my granddad had a tool like that in his wooden tool box. HRP

7. 39 Ford

39 Ford

Saw a tool like that on an old Farm, cedar shakes if I remember correctly.

8. Bulletnose26

Bulletnose26

Looks like it could be used to open a "3 port eddy" fire hydrant.

9. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

I have had one for many years. It is stamped "STAHL" on the hammer head portion. I doubt that it ever did anything very well but it has a hammer head, hatchet head, straight bit screwdriver, nail puller, serrated opening like a pipe vise, straight blade cutter, and wire cutters all incorporated into it. Kind of a Swiss Army knife.

Attached Files:

10. bustedwrench

bustedwrench

Looks like a pair of fencing pliers to me.

11. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

Looks like a fence tool to me.

12. Toymont

Toymont
    from Montana

Fencing tool has a pointed end where the hatchet head is, My guess would be for ceder shakes

13. R Pope

R Pope

One of those "golly-gee" wonder tools that do absolutely nothing well.

14. 29AVEE8 posted pics of a stahl. A google image search of "Stahl combination tool" reveals a lot of info. Seems this is one of the multitudeof "one tool fits all". Combination tools of this type appear to have been very common, manufactured by numerous companies.

15. It does have Germany stamped in it,so probably quality tool.I can see
    lots of "multi tool" uses maybe even hvac but shake or shingle work
    w/o a firm handle I wouldn't count on it,could work but not this tool.

16. perfect tool for any farmer to keep in his pocket, open a bail, fix fence, turn a water valve with no handle, break ice out of a trough, drive a nail 3/4 the way in then bend over, strip a 3/8" nut, turn a 3/16" bolt till it breaks, scrape mud [oops not mud] from your boots, tighten barn door clasp etc...

17. whtbaron

whtbaron
    from manitoba

Well... I've farmed for 30 yrs and I've never owned one...still going with the cedar shingle weapon.

18. thomas.gusky@gmail.com

[email protected]
    from DuBois, PA

methinks it's a plumbers universal spanner wrench/nutcracker/crableg meat separator/nuclear cheese processor and can double as a paper weight....seen em before..I think that's it..definite maybe..Moses Lonagain.

19. I am thinking something to do with stringing telegraph or power line from years ago .. the center hole would run in lags on the cross bars, the hammer head to drive in the insulator; and the axe end for whittling the pole face to match the cross arm surface.... and the obvious wire cutter/stripper.

..... do I win?

20. whtbaron

whtbaron
    from manitoba

21. silversink

silversink

Rare Gerber prototype for their million dollar multi tool

22. Just FYI - "Stahl" in German means "Steel."