Register now to get rid of these ads!

R. I. P. Andy Granatelli passed away today.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rich Venza, Dec 29, 2013.

1. I just picked this news up on Facebook.

Former STP CEO, Indy 500-winning owner Andy Granatelli dead at 90

By: Chris Estrada

Dec 29, 2013, 6:32 PM EST
    Andy Granatelli AP

Andy Granatelli (pictured, from 2010), former CEO of the STP motor oil company and one of the more notable innovators in the history of the Indianapolis 500, has passed away at the age of 90.

According to the Associated Press, his son, Vince, confirmed that he died of congestive heart failure earlier today in a hospital in Santa Barbara, California.

A member of multiple racing Halls of Fame, Granatelli was a significant figure for the “500,” especially in the late 1960s and 1970s. In the 1967 and 1968 races, he fielded radical, turbine-powered cars that did well but ultimately lost out in both races.

In ’67, Parnelli Jones lost a potential win with only a few laps to go when a transmission bearing failed and forced him to retire. Then in ’68, Joe Leonard suffered a fuel pump shaft failure while leading and also had to retire in the final moments.

But in 1969, Granatelli finally had his day at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway as Mario Andretti, driving with a more conventional engine, took his STP-backed No. 2 machine to victory over Dan Gurney.

Granatelli expressed his appreciation by kissing Andretti on the cheek in Victory Lane, creating one of the most beloved images in “500″ history. Andretti has tweeted the following on Granatelli’s death this evening

2. RICKY~RICARDO

RICKY~RICARDO
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Milwaukee

3. kyvetteman

kyvetteman

Bummer. His was a household name when I was a kid.

4. safari-wagon

safari-wagon

Sad news.

"According to the Associated Press, his son, Vince, confirmed that he died of congestive heart failure earlier today in a hospital in Santa Barbara, California."

GodSpeed Andy.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. noboD

noboD

He had a good life, sorry to see it end.

6. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

I just seen it too. Second time this month we must say goodbye to one of our Hot Rodding pioneers. :(

7. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

R.I.P. Andy. Thank you for all you accomplished that inspired so many.

8. R.I.P. Mr. Granatelli

In 1969, Granatelli finally had his day at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway as Mario Andretti, driving with a more conventional engine, took his STP-backed No. 2 machine to victory over Dan Gurney.

Granatelli expressed his appreciation by kissing Andretti on the cheek in Victory Lane, creating one of the most beloved images in “500″ history.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  9. Sad to see another legend gone. R.I.P

10. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

R.I.P. Andy Granatelli

11. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

RIP Andy, 90 yrs old, wow

12. fortynut

fortynut

Mr. Granatelli also attempted to extend the life of the Novi, which was a legend in its own right and on radio coverage of Indy something that could make you feel like there were indeed 'monsters out there'. Also, failure to mention his participation at Bonneville would be remiss. He caused to have built and drove some pretty damn fast machines on the salt. I know his family will miss him terribly and those of us who were bystanders can only pray he is at peace and has crossed over to join other men like himself who make up the pantheon of racing legends.

13. A member of multiple racing Halls of Fame, Granatelli was a significant figure for the “500,” especially in the late 1960s and 1970s. In the 1967 and 1968 races, he fielded radical, turbine-powered cars that did well but ultimately lost out in both races.

In ’67, Parnelli Jones lost a potential win with only a few laps to go when a transmission bearing failed and forced him to retire. Then in ’68, Joe Leonard suffered a fuel pump shaft failure while leading and also had to retire in the final moments.

[​IMG]

14. [​IMG]
    Mobil publicity photo showing Andy Granatelli's 63 Studebaker Avanti fueling up for its record breaking performance.

A Studebaker Avanti R3 driven by Andy Granatelli at the Bonneville Speedway shattered 29 U.S. records in 12 hours in 1962: American class C Flying Start; 1 mile - 168.15 mph; 5 mile - 167.82 mph; 10 mile - 163.90. American class C Standing Start; 1 mile - 92.03 mph; 5 mile 139.69; 10 mile - 151.66 mph. All 29 records are the average speeds of a 2 way run, and are not the top speeds obtained. Granatelli came back that year with his R3 to score 170.78 mph, and broke five other Class C marks. Altogether twelve Studebakers smashed 337 different USAC records in six classes. Production R1 models listed 0-60 mph times of about 10.5 seconds, the standing-start quarter-mile in 17.0 seconds at about 80 mph, and top speeds of 115-120 mph. Shown: Mobil publicity photo showing Andy Granatelli's Avanti fueling up for its record breaking performance.

15. midget1939

midget1939

May his memory be eternal;

Midget1939

16. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

90 years old...................you had a good run Andy and left your mark in many ways. Now it's time to rest in peace.

Frank

17. ChopTopJimmy

ChopTopJimmy

18. brechlrl

brechlrl
    from Wisconsin

That book is a GREAT read with lots of stories on the early days of hot rodding

19. Let's not forget Grancor! Rest in peace Andy!

20. bradshaw

bradshaw
    from ontario

R.I.P. Andy..

21. slammed

slammed

22. R.I.P. Andy Granatelli , I always rooted for the STP cars he raced at the "500"...

23. von zipper

von zipper

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Attached Files:

24. R.I.P. Andy! 90 years is a long time.

25. Wedgehead426

Wedgehead426

Granatelli was a innovator, something we don't have much of any more. He will be missed.

26. mickeyc

mickeyc

I have a very old paperback book that is his autobiography. The title is "Mr. 500". It is a great read, giving an in site to both Andy and his brother Vince and their amazing story. If you can find a copy I think any
    gear head will enjoy it.

27. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

r.i.p. andy. your time to rest and race upstairs has come.

28. toml24

toml24

This is a great book. Granatelli wrote that things got so bad between himself and USAC that nobody wanted to be seen talking to Granatelli, out of fear that USAC would lower the boom on anyone who associated with Granatelli. WOW!! Must have been incredible to be in the garage area at Indy during May.

29. The37Kid

The37Kid

In December 1948 Andy Granatelli was tyrying to sell a package deal of THREE INDY cars for the ridiculous price of $10,000! That ad took up four pages of the ten page California Timing News December 1948 issue. He was 25 years old at the time.God speed Mr. Granatelli. Bob

Attached Files: