Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag cars in motion.......picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royalshifter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. tire wiper

tire wiper

2. 296ardun

296ardun

[​IMG]

The late "Mr. Flathead," John Bradley, at Colton. John beat many an overhead with this and other flathead powered dragsters

[​IMG]

No clue, pretty crude, but it's our history

[​IMG]

As the caption notes, this is Howard Johansen standing next to the "roadster," given the date, wonder if this is Goleta, because Santa Ana did not open until 1950

[​IMG]

Never enough photos of Willy, Pomona

[​IMG]

Hawaii Motor Rebuilders deuce coupe, Ardun powered, not sure where, but remember that these guys got "long distance award," maybe '55 or '56 NHRA Nationals ('57 went to gas-only and this had A/F on the number)
    [​IMG]

Obviously sponsored by Champion, don't know any more about it...

[​IMG]

Swiss-cheesed coupe, only caption is on the picture
    [​IMG]

Talk about originality, blown flathead in a phone-booth sedan...

All the above pictures came from "George Klass Remembers," well worth exploring, at
    http://georgeklass.net/altereds.html

3. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

The 'T' sedan belonged to Lloyd Clemans from Vancouver, Wa. The chain drive 4-71 was spun 25% over. The engine spent some time in Wayne Harry's 36 Willys PU, before Wayne installed a blown Olds.

4. JC Sparks

JC Sparks
    from Ohio

5. Anybody have any pictures of the Haase and Smyser Top Fuel car that won the 1965 Hot Rod Magazine Championships?

Many years ago, I met a truck driver who said that he used to drive a Fuel car back in the day, but he never said his name. I found out later that it was Nando Haase. I wish I would have know that at the time. He used to live in Hesperia, California for years, but I understand that he's now in Lake Havasu, Arizona.

6. tire wiper

tire wiper

JUNE 21: The highlight of Nando Haase’s brief Top Fuel career was winning the second HOT ROD Championships. His booty included the brand-new Barracuda in the background, a groovy piston-rod trophy presented by Mr. Petersen himself, and a cover story. From left: Ray Brock, Haase, Pete, race queen (and Playboy Playmate) Jessica St. George, unidentified crewman, partner John Smyser, and Dean Moon (background). (See Sept. ’65 HRM, pg. 36: “Riverside! Big Blast” and cover; also Nov.’65 cover and pg. 64: “Giddy-Up Haase.”)

Read more: http://www.hotrod.com/hotroddeluxe/...38.html?&_suid=138801046828207625900735600003

Haase Smyser dragster photos
    https://www.google.com/search?q=haa...4GerQyAHI-YGICw&ved=0CCkQsAQ&biw=1920&bih=872

7. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Awesome stuff every months guys thanks for taking time to share these historic photos.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

9. This is a decal the owner, who's name has yet to come to me, gave me in the early '90s. When I saw the car then it had an injected 6cyl in it, which was put in after the 427.

Attached Files:

10. mopacltd

mopacltd

I can't any of Muttley's post to show any pictures. Only shows and X as attached

11. 296ardun

296ardun

[​IMG]

No caption, only "Shafters" on club jackets. I remember a club called the "Shafters" out of Fallbrook, CA, ran a carburated Chrysler dragster. This may be an earlier coupe, track looks like Colton.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  12. 296ardun

296ardun

[​IMG]
    Don's Speed Shop blown Buick,

[​IMG]

Same car, ran 140s on gas, Island Dragway

[​IMG]

Wally Lynn altered, cammer Ford, East Coast, no other details

All these shots came from Oil 'n Speed, at
    http://www.oilnspeed.com/albums/v/drags/

13. mosconiac

mosconiac

Sorry if this one is a known photo, but this is reported to be the remains of Big Daddy's last FED. I had never seen this one before.

[​IMG]

14. [​IMG]

I finally found the info on this coupe; it had been bugging me and bugging me, but this was from a feature in the June 1958 issue of Hot Rod (pages 52 & 53). The owners of the '33 Plymouth were Wayne Roberts and J. E. Threadgill out of Houston. Car ran a Hilborn injected '57 392 and a '48 Caddy tranny. Those weird pipes weren't in the way of the doors: You can't see it in this image, but the bottom of the doors were cut off and welded to the body, and a new cut line ran from just below the bottom hinge to just above the rear-most header tube.

15. loudbang

loudbang

16. Muttley

Muttley

Some of the ones from the early days of this thread may have been deleted but most of them seem to be working fine as far as I can tell.

17. frankenstein1948

frankenstein1948

18. Larry T

Larry T

Interesting play on words, since J. E. Threadgill was know as Bugg. He is in the well known Houston Texas dragster picture.
    I talked to him for a while at the Nostalgia Drags in Noble, Oklahoma several years back. He's still quite a character.

19. Race Artist

Race Artist

Thanks Bob,
    Neat decal ... I seem to recall that the car was originally from New Milford. I think it may be in the background of one of my other pictures now that you mention it ... with "Home Brew" lettered on it. Medium metallic blue color. Interesting that the car may still be around.

Happy New Year!
    Joel

20. 296ardun

296ardun

Here are a couple of shots of Buggs Threadgill's dragster that he built with Dickie Venables, from Don Ewald's site:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

According to the caption, Buggs is on the right

21. skywolf

skywolf

Is Christmas late this year Muttley ?

22. Im going out on a limb, but the last I heard of the car a few years back(via Andy Boye) the car is still alive and well and still owned by the original owner

23. Muttley

Muttley

I know I've promised a couple of times that a huge photo update was coming soon but it's still not ready. I havent felt like doing anything car related for the past few months, during one stretch earlier this month I didnt even log on to the HAMB for over three weeks. That was the first time I'd gone more than two or three days since I registered ten years ago. The pictures still need to be cropped, named and re-sized. I'll get to them sometime soon.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
  24. skywolf

skywolf

I know exactly how you feel.

25. red fox

red fox
    from (OHIO)

I'm praying for you Muttley.:)

26. wicarnut

wicarnut

A BIG THANK YOU! to ALL that take the time to post the great Pics . One of the best parts of the HAMB is the Pic threads, love the history. John

27. Lee_Ford

Lee_Ford

I agree... Memories flow every day as we remember the rides of our past and dream of rides of tomorrow. Thank you H.A.M.B.’ers for all you do.

May 2014 be the best yet!!

28. kyhotrod

kyhotrod
    from Kentucky

The Jul68 photo with the body up, may have been taken in Illinois, based on this newspaper clipping. Dave's entry on findagrave. The photo of him racing the Jeep altered taken at Bluegrass Dragway on the Fayette-Jessamine Co line, his final pass.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  29. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]