Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who makes a good air compressor now?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 36tudordeluxe, Dec 25, 2013.

1. 66tintop

66tintop
    from Canada

X2 - 5hp 2 stage bought it 10 years ago , runs 7 days a week for me, used with air sanders , 90 degree angle grinders etc , expensive to buy new ($4000.00 cdn) loonies but worth every penny IMO !

2. Tatorboy

Tatorboy

I wouldn't buy anything but a Two stage compressor.
    I like Champion... made in Princeton IL.

3. smitty city

smitty city

ditto on the quincy, ive had two of them for over 20 years.

4. DaveL : How do you like your Belaire compressor ? They are made not far from me in South Carolina and I've heard some good things about them. Are all the components made in USA...?

5. elba

elba

Take your old tank and plumb it to your new on for more storage.

6. I bought a upright Porter Cable at a local Tractor Supply Store about 8 years ago for just under $800. 5HP, 2 stage, 80 gallon. After I got the moisture in the lines issue taken care of, it's worked great...sandblasting or painting.

7. shawnspeed

shawnspeed
    from Attica Mi

I also would not be afraid to look for a used industrial unit....I bought a used Kellog American with a 325 pump& 80 G tank for 350 bucks 2 years ago ...was a good investment, probably the last compressor I will have to buy...Shawn

8. aaggie

aaggie

I buy American when I can and bought a Quincy 5HP 2 stage from Northern Tools. I've had it three years and no problems. It will keep up with all of my air tools and bead blaster.

9. Dave L

Dave L
    from Idaho

Thing runs like a champ, change oil regularly, drain water when i remember. I got if from a local tool supply place: Idaho Tool and equipment.

I was running a 10ft beam saw and a edgebander, with assorted air hand tools (had a woodworking shop) and it never hiccuped.

As far as components i am not sure.

Hope this helps,

Dave L

10. whtbaron

whtbaron
    from manitoba

Around here, most of the used stuff is sold at farm auctions, and it tends to get bid up around 70-80% of new... not a good deal in my opinion. At $700 on sale, it sounds like you are looking at the top end single stage machines from the local suppliers. If you can swing it go a little higher and get a 2 stage. Lots more air, they run cooler and "should" last longer. That being said, I've had a 3hp (with a large 2 cylinder pump) Campbell Hausfeld since 1985. I've worn out 2 pumps and had the motor rebuilt once, but it runs steady almost every day. Next one will be a 2 stage. Some of the rebuild parts for the older machines is very limited, and C/H only offers the large single stage pump in one model now.

11. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I have a Ram Air that has a Quincy 2 stage pump that worked good for some time then let to many buddys use my blast cabnet and used it up.
    Question for the Quincy guy. This thing pumps up slow. I have some new reed plates for it but have notice that I am getting oil in the tank witch makes me think a ring and piston problem.So can I get oversize pistons for it?

12. Hemiman 426

Hemiman 426
    from Tulsa, Ok.

Emgo used to be a very good compressor but have no idea if they're still being made. Quincy is one that is highly recommended by those who have them.. I bought a Cambell 2 stage years ago and its still performing great, even after the abuse of 3 sons!

13. Joe H

Joe H

On the low end of the scale, my 25 year old Craftsman single stage 5hp, 30 gallon has held up really well when use once a week or so. It will keep up with my sand- blaster when doing small jobs. I have painted cars and trucks with it, and used it with a bead blast cabinet. Its just now spitting a little oil. This suits my needs pretty well.

Its not the size that matters as much as how you use it!

Joe

14. What makes a good compressor ? Compressor pumps are splash oiled and pressure oiled. Pressurized pumps are the better bet for heavy usage and higher cfm volumes. You should really figure out your compressed air needs before going out and buying one . How much CFM do you need ? How often will your compressor need to run ? What power sources are available ?
    The compressors I have used over the years were for commercial need . The Quicy 325 pumps were pretty much the standard for decades . They will just about run forever with proper maintainance but are noisy as hell. The hot setup today are the rotary screw compressors . Basically a supercharger driven by an electric motor . Quiet , efficient and pricey . We have been using Kaesers for a while now and would not go back to a pump style compressor. Nothing wrong with the old types , Its just makes for a quieterand more pleasant workplace .

15. fsae0607

fsae0607

I bought the Husky 30-Gallon C301H and so far I'm happy with it.

16. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I've got a DeVilibus that I bought about 10 years ago, 5hp 80 gal tank. It's painted several cars, ran a grinder and cut off tools and impacts with no problem.

17. williebill

williebill

I hesitate to use my 25 year old SpeedAire as an example, since things can change over time, and not always for the best. Whenever I read about some 10-15 year old HF tool that's still golden, I wonder if todays version will be as good. In my mind, probably not, older WILL be better.
    But my SpeedAire gets the shit run out of it, and all I've ever done is replace the pump 10 years ago.
    But, brand names that meant quality years ago have value. The names, that is, not always the product. Consumers can be fooled by a name, and I try to not get too warm and fuzzy until I do my own research.

18. terryble

terryble
    from canada

Bought a Craftsman from Sears in 1972, I have used it lots rebuilt it twice, cost about $30.00 the first time and a little over a hundred the second time (for the exact same parts). I replaced the motor a few years ago and played with pulley ratio a bit. It is still going strong.

19. Great opinions here. I am in the market for one next spring. I have a small TPI sand blaster and I was told that I need a 2 stage unit?

20. rfraze

rfraze

I have been pretty happy with the big upright Craftsman compressor I bought some 10 years ago. Buy the BIG Boy with pistons, not the vibrator type. Mine will normally kick on, catch up, and kick off while I am bead-blasting a large part. That is the test, I believe. Buy the best you can't afford!!

21. 1934coupe

1934coupe

X2 I think the best out there, mine is 25 years old and I can talk on the phone when the compressor is on in the 20 x24 foot garage.

Pat

22. jeffyg82

jeffyg82

Here is a pic of my moisture trap large pipes are 2" small is 3/4" this setup works amazingly set me back around 200$ well worth the money

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

23. iadr

iadr

Emglo was bought out by Dewalt about 10 years ago.

Makita and Rolaire small units are nice pces, not sure if that has or will translate to the bigger stuff. I bought a Ridgid because I was renting and wanted 5cfm in a portable 110v. Glad I did with some life stuff that happened. It's only in the last year that I tried to run a blast cabinet off it. Was a bit of a joke even with an extra inline tank.

24. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks,Jeffy.Nice.

25. finn

finn

I did a lot of research on this 6 or so years ago and was ready to pull the trigger on a 7.5 hp 2 stage Quincy with a BelAire second choice and IR in 3rd place. Cost was in the neighborhood of $1800 + at the time. Instead, I found a used 5hp 2 stage IR with a new Marathon motor (made in Wisconsin) and the despised Italian made aluminum pump for $360.

For the limited use it sees in my home shop (air tools and blasting), it has done well. I had better uses for the $1500 I didn't spend at the time (kept it in the stock market where it is probably worth $6000 now). It does everything I ask, and when it finally fails I'll go back and get the Quincy and still be money ahead.

26. txturbo

txturbo

I bought an 80 gal. IR about 7 years ago. The motor went out at about 1-1/2 years. Replaced the motor and its been ok since. I have an 8 foot long blasting cabinet I can use for hours and it keeps up. Thats basically an open ended 3/8" air hose and it not only keeps up but will shutoff while I'm blasting.

27. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

At work we bought an Ingersoll Rand 3 phase 5hp 175 psi 2 stage with an 80 gallon tank to supply air for the clutch on a conveyor for a metals baler and to provide air for cleaning and repairs. It had less than 100 hours on it in 4 years when the second stage reed valve plate failed. The short life was bad enough but it took a month to get a replacement valve plate.

The sorting system for the shredder uses a screw type compressor. We installed a 150 hp Ingersoll Rand variable speed when we added more equipment and the variable speed drive failed in less than 6 months. It took almost 2 months to get a replacement because they used some non standard French drive.

I'd avoid Ingersoll Rand.

The compressor I have is one that an auto dealer scrapped because it couldn't supply enough air. It had a 2 hp motor on it but it had a 2 stage compressor rated for 5 hp. I put a 5 hp motor with a larger pulley to turn it at it's rated speed. I picked up a 300 gallon tank that came in the scrap. When I would paint a vehicle I'd fill the extra tank and shut the compressor off. Both tanks at 160 psi was more than enough air to paint and without the compressor running, any moisture was settled out.

28. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

In my shop I have an ancient Gardner-Denver single stage, 2 cyl.on 60 ghal horiz. tank that I've had since the late 60s and it was old when I got it. Came off the lube truck for a road construction contractor, was powered by an ancient Briggs Stratton engine, maybe 10-12 hp, and they had replaced it with a new one. A friend's father worked for them and he had had it for at least 10 years when I bought it from him.
    Used it a long time this way, constant run with a pop off valve. But in the late 80s I had bought my shop bldg. and I replaced the rings and valves, and took some shim out of the conn. rods to tighten them up. ball brg. mains were still OK.
    Mounted a 7.5 hp 3 ph. motor on it, and set it up on top of an 80 gl. tank for 140 gal. total.
    Been using it ever since, running air tools, blasters, etc. In about 2009, I sold all my boat prop repair equipment and inventory and now only do a little general machine shop work along with building a hot rod. CPA told me to spend the money on shop equipment that I had gotten for the prop shop stuff as otherwise, since it had already been depreciated down to nothing, I would be paying out a bunch on income taxes for the sale.
    So one of the pieces I bought was a new Eaton Pump, 2cyl. single stage, rated for 7.5 hp. So far I'm still running the old Gardner- Denver pump, but soon I'll be finished up on current hot rod project, and that pump replacement is high on my priority list.
    Eaton is US made, cast iron, and slow turning, which means quieter, and longer lasting. I chose single stage for higher volume at a lower (125psi) pressure. My tanks are old and I don't want too high a pressure on them. Plus what we use is volume, not pressure.
    The object of this long post is to say that if you scout around, you'll be surprised what you can find in older stuff that with a little work, will outlast the cheaply made shit sold today, unless you can afford real industrial quaiyy units.

29. El Tortuga

El Tortuga

My Dad bought a Quincy 40 years ago, its been rebuilt once. I don't know the quality of them now but I have always been partial to them.

30. ctc34

ctc34

Is all that really necessary? I have two inline filters, set me back about $100. (One very good one and one cheap one) Zero moisture makes it to my air tools.