Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1936 Ford Coupe Blown SBC & Muncie 4spd

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by amadeus, Dec 25, 2013.

1. amadeus

amadeus

Hello all,
    I have a 36 ford coupe and want to install a SBC with a 6-71 SC, it has a Muncie 4spd with scatter shield . Anyone ever done this and how you did it/pics?
    The car has a butchered firewall and I'm trying to figure out if the stock firewall will allow enough room for this set up, all the aftermarket firewalls with the recess don't have the cool "W" ribbing on the upper portion and this in my opinion will make the car look very "street rod" .

Car has a TCI IFS so there is room in there, thinking of using the "biscuit style" engine mounts from CE. Still trying to figure out a pedal assembly,hydraulic or mechanical..

So far looks like the folks at bitching products have the best set up (16gauge) firewall and floors which looks like will be strong for a firewall mounted pedals and also offer the firewall plain, 3" and 5" recess what do you guys think of their quality?

Also, The original k member is still there ( what's left of it) and has been trimmed amateur style. Let me see your set up please !
    Thanks!
    jW

2. Uptown83

Uptown83

You dont want the street rod look yet you have a TCI IFS?
    Having nothing that can help except I put a flathead in my 35

3. amadeus

amadeus

Hi uptown, my post might lead someone to believe I'm confused in what direction I'm going with the car..Let me clarify, I picked up the car with the IFS already on, it is what I have and cannot afford to buy another frame, I believe the car can look good and right even with the IFS..

I should make this statement before I get the traditional guys pissed...
    I'm not putting centerlines ,15x15 rear tires , or going pro touring,
    The engine and trans I have had in my living room for the past 3 years, it is dressed up with vintage covers, 6-71 GMC built by the late Mooneyham,solid roller,has camel humps fully ported and polished etc. looks like something built in the 60's.. And worse comes I have a dual quad NOS Weiand from the San Fernando Foundry..
    It will be a "traditional styled car"
    There..
    Jw

4. chinarus

chinarus
    from Georgia

Do your self a favor if the K member is butchered and order a center X member kit from CE, TCI, Lucky7, etc. The K member kit will have the underfloor pedal mount in the right place and a firewall mounted master cyl ruins the engine bay in a 35/36 in my opinion.There's a couple of places to get frame boxing plates as well but
    There is a nice frame boxing kit avail on eBay or from the same options as above.
    A SBC with a short water pump will barely fit a stock firewall as the size is almost identical to a flathead.
    If the top of the firewall can be saved you can make a firewall recess from a cheap metal wheelbarrow from Lowes or HDepot or Ace. My firewall was butchered pretty bad but I made my own +3 inch recess so I could run a "pusher fan" and saved most of it.(Pics attached.) If you decide on a engine setback, the floor mounted brake pedal to the SBC oil filter gets really close in the stock location. There are some older SBC engine drawings that have good block measurements which may help. Have the radiator you intend to run with the grille and fenders fitted properly before you start modifying the frame, firewall, engine mounts etc and make a radiator "clearance" template.

CE has bolt in motor mounts which might be easier in locating the placement but I think the biscuit types are probably simpler and easier to pull the motor.
    I have the Heidts tubular type which look cool but are a pain to line up and the motor will likely be in and out 20 or 30 times while you mock things up.
    Block huggers or early rams horn style manifolds are about the only exhaust option.

Lots of build threads with frame pics and creative ways of lifting the body off.
    Many opinions on bracing the frame, body, and doors if you decide on major surgery on the K member and frame.
    Very easy to end up with major hood, door and fender alignment problems.

Attached Files:

5. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

2" belt, 3" belt, bench, buckets? No matter what your Muncie shifter will be in an "unfriendly" position unless your 6'2" and seating is moved back. Fire wall not only will have to be moved back a considerable amount but you will need access to service the dizzy also. A bunch of things to think about and mock up..................

6. pitman

pitman

Go with either the '55-57 Chev distributor, or a Mallory type.
    They have the smaller O.D.

7. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Be aware that '55 '56 Dizzy's may not (probably not) be compatible with your cam as is..........................

8. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

SBC will go in a 40 without tweaking the firewall. the 35/36 frames are X frames and close to the same as 37/40, however 36 sheet metal is narrower so you may have to tweak the firewall even with a short water pump. I'd look at using a 2 v belt pulley or find a 1 1/2" drive belt for the blower ( cut down 2" pulleys) to minimize the engine setback.
    Just for info I put a long water pump sbc in a 40 using CE mounts; no firewall mod or radiator mod and an electric pusher fan. Mock up the thing before committing on the firewall change. JMHO

9. amadeus

amadeus

Hi Brigrat,
    I'm running a vintage magneto ( scintilla ) which is very narrow,the roller cam is the new generation that doesn't require a brass alloy gear, 3" belt with short water pump. I'm getting the T&F shifter which places the shifter on top towards the firewall like a ford top loader. Looking at a bench seat. I'm 6,2" LOL.

JW

10. amadeus

amadeus

Hi chinarus,

I thank you for your input! I am hoping that the x member can. Be saved,looking at it, it is crude how they clearance the left side but looks salvageable , a hamber here installed a Muncie in a 36 and used 40 pedals w a homemade bell crank set up.he will be e mailing pics of his install.

I am also contemplating the use of a 39 pedal set up but have to do some research on wether it is a forged pedal( so can it be easily welded) or cast iron in case I need to modify the travel length ,etc
    Enclosed are pics of the frame and firewall.
    Wish the firewall was in better shape..
    Does anyone have a firewall and x member pieces here in so cal that they would like to sell?

Any input is appreciated

Best

JW

Attached Files:

11. amadeus

amadeus

More pics..

Attached Files:

12. amadeus

amadeus

Firewall...

As you can see the chassis was boxed in the right areas, not bad of a job. My other option will be a hydraulic clutch set up like the one from Pete and jakes that mounts on the x member.
    ( I hate hydraulic clutches :-/ )
    JW

Attached Files:

13. amadeus

amadeus

Thanks Joel !
    Sweet car! One of my favorite cars, I actually looked into buying one before the 36 came up.
    JW

14. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Although "Apples & Oranges" I am in the same boat as you, trying to make this blown baby Hemi/5 speed happy in a '36 Ford. Motor set back, brake/clutch set up, exhaust, steering, etc all have to be thought out a head of slicing & dicing....................

Attached Files:

15. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Chassis Engineering Stuff is as good as it gets. Try to use whatever they have available and you will be much happier. Im not sure how much difference there is between yours and a 40 but a SBC will fit into a 40 without modifying the firewall just have to use the small body dist.
    as mentioned above I think it can be done without too much hassle.

16. amadeus

amadeus

That's one sweet motor!! That distributor is the cats meow!!!
    Hard to find even for a SBC :)

JW

17. amadeus

amadeus

Thanks Russco, I'm ordering the engine mounts from them, gonna look into fixing the x member and possibly using their x member kit.
    Hoping to find a nice clean firewall locally

JW

18. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I have a blown SBC in my truck with a 2" Gilmore drive and a Mechanical fan. If you want, I could measure the distance from the front of the fan to the Block/bell housing parting line if it would help you.

19. amadeus

amadeus

That would be great!
    Do you have pics of your set up?

Thanks!
    Jw