Register now to get rid of these ads!

what is the rarest car you have come across

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by davesville, Aug 12, 2007.

1. bobadame

bobadame

What?

2. slowmotion

slowmotion

There were some OT posts, since deleted, bob. Not directed at you. When that happens, the continuity gets twisted some. Sometimes the mods will note when they do that, sometimes not.

3. barry2952

barry2952

4. I found a 55 Mercedes pickup - looks a lot like a Ford front end sheet metal and has an IRS rear. Typical "not for sale" - it may be one of 2 in the US.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
  5. the shadow

the shadow

In 1988 I rescued a Z-28 camaro drag car from a weed patch on the side of a shed in hopes of making it a pro-street or street strip bracket race car. when I bought it I paid $2K for it rolling with no engine or trans. the car had been sitting for a few years since last raced. it was set up for a SBC & a 4 speed. the interior floors were solid had original seats & a 8 pt cage, the frame was tied. The odometer read 174 miles. the owner gave me a yellow "certificate of origin" and not a title from Nickey chevrolet in IL, the car was a race car from the factory & never titled. after I got it home I found out the car was a dealer "white car" since it was stripped down with no radio/heater and it ran out of the west chester pa area as a super stiock car. I decided not to title it and do some more digging on the history. I found out the car had a 427 & M-22, the car was also caged & the frame tied at SRD chassis when Bill Jenkins owned it (SRD) Jenkins later verified the car + history to me. I knew the car was valueble but didn't have the funds or the connectons to find all the correct parts + pieces to do it right (I was 21 and living week to week?) after a year or so I found my dragster in a salvage yard (see avatar) and fell in love with that, when my landlord who I rented a single bay garage from saw 2 cars in there (one on his side) he said ones got to go. Tough choice but I let the z-28 go for $3K. by that time I had stripped the paint & had it in vari-prime. Fast forward 24 years & I find a guy looking for a car like it in the pittsburg area, I tell him the story & give him the vin number of my old z-28 & he tells me it's restored & in a collection on the west coast... 1 of 2 L-88 ,Z-28 Nickey chevy factory race cars! the second one is the one he is looking for (still missing). car is insured for $500K and estamated to be worth more but insurance co won't insure it for higher as it is not a titled car?
    to be fair he told me the new owner spent well over $100k to get the car back to original & with all the correct bells & whistles.
    here is a link to the guy who owns it now + a couple pics of the car when I got it & now.

link: http://corvettes-musclecars.com/Supercars/69NickeyZ28/

Attached Files:

6. Interesting Camaro....not at all what the site is about. Post like this, no matter how interesting, are going to get this thread closed.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. mphudak

mphudak
    from Atlanta

8. I have run across a lot of one-off cars, so I have seen some of the most rare ones. Got to ride in and steer the Daroo II into the Blackhawk museum storage facility, rode in the 1959 Imperial that has the glass bubble top and have been around a lot of one of a kind cars. I live for the low production stuff.

9. We had a late 40's Playboy in the yard where I worked in the 70's in WNY.

10. ems customer service

ems customer service

my friend has a 1935 ford 2 door cabriolet from germany, looks like a mg/tc with a 35 ford front end

11. patterpillar

patterpillar
    from Montana

I have what I think is a 1924 Oldsmobile Sport Touring model. Hood has angle louvers on the side panels, Oldsmobile aluminum emblem above the running board. Luggage trunk on the back. I bought it from a local farmer. It was sitting under a big Pine tree. Mostly pieces and parts as it was on the frame and rusting away forever. Driving around with my spotting scope helps with the tin hunt.

12. Hey patterpillar- got any pics? I have a '24 olds touring too- Dads been restoring antique cars since the 60s and we bought it because he said he'd never seen another one. The early Oldsmobiles seem to be seen more often (his opinion/experience). ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1388253649.934088.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1388253679.772703.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

13. INTMD8

INTMD8
    from Il.

Wow, the Ghia is beautiful. I think we need a thread dedicated to your cars Sylvian!

14. I knew Roscoe Stelford Sr. and Jr. Was out to the farm many times buying Studebakers and parts for same. Was allowed into the Peerless barns. 13 of 'em (cars). Was the largest collection of Peerless in the world, according to news articles at time of his death. Impressive cars.

Also ran across the only Marmon V12 to have been produced. The company that restored it was behind a Wal~Mart I serviced, and had it out on test when I happened by. Built in 1940 after the demise of his company.

Went with a friend to see about a car in a barn nearby us. Turned out to be a very complete Rickenbacker sedan. Still had the "Four Wheel Brakes" spare tire cover. Never did buy, nor ever found out what happened to it. Barn's gone though, I did check that later...

OTOH, I own a 61 Falcon 4dr sedan, which is one of the MOST common.

Cosmo

Attached Files:

15. A Purple and dreadful Honda Zot (circa 1971). Found rusting in an ex girlfriend's paddock. Towed it home. Had plans to get it running. Never did. Sold it. Now they are probably worth billions...

16. Bert Kollar Jordan= rare. What an interesting thread this is.

17. [​IMG]
    This is an Ascort, an Australian production venture from '59. They used 'glass bodies on VW platforms. This is local, from a month or so ago. It's the second one I've seen, the other 12 or so months ago racing at Collingrove hillclimb.
    I can't imagine there's a lot of them around. Pretty expensive when new. Modern Motor Magazine did a road test feature in '59 or '60.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  18. These were realised in '66 & sold '67-'71. I painted a '71 recently- one of 4 only RHD Mangustas. Black/black, Windsor Ford power.

19. alfin32

alfin32
    Member Emeritus
    from Essex, Ma.

That's cool, it's a '49 Mercedes 170V, flathead 4 cyl., transverse front spring, IFS. Basically a pre-war car put into production after the war to fill the void. Quite rare now.

20. pride63

pride63

21. For me it has to be the 1925 Rolls-Royce Phantom Aerodynamic Coupe. HRP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kiwijeff likes this.
  22. patterpillar

patterpillar
    from Montana

I have another from when it was in the field. Let me know if it isn't a 24. Pretty rough but still saved from certain death

Attached Files:

• 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      448 KB
      Views:
    • 007.jpg
      007.jpg
      File size:
      497.8 KB
      Views:
    • 004.jpg
      004.jpg
      File size:
      501.1 KB
      Views:
    • 005.jpg
      005.jpg
      File size:
      507.7 KB
      Views:
  23. rshooman

rshooman

I have a 1940 Cadillac - series 72 - imperial sedan - only 100 built
    Needs total resotration, but it is very solid. Going to keep one motor completely stock and the other motor will be blown with a 671 blower. I bought the blower manifold off a HAMB guy who made a very nice manifold set up.

24. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Got any pics of the blower setup and who was it that made the manifold

Chrome don't get ya home

25. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

I have seen lots of rare stuff in my time mostly muscle car stuff like a zl-1 camaro and cammer mustangs but the most important one is the worlds fastest flathead caddy powered 38 Chevy coupe I built and set a land speed record in this last year at bonneville in my opinion that's pretty rare to find a car owner who hires you to build a car then gives you an opportunity to set a land speed record in it yes it's the one and only flatcad racing race car!! I was not the only one involved but one of the key builders in it as I built the car not the engine but the car I give a big thank you to buddy walker and the rest of the flatcad racing team for the ride of a lifetime

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1388443905.057684.jpg

Chrome don't get ya home

26. badnabor

badnabor

My dad has a 1929 Viking sedan. I'm not real clear, but I think they were produced by Oldsmobile in "29 & '30. He has some sheet metal from a "30. I do know that the '29 had wood spoke wheels & the '30 had wires. I remember that it's an 8 cylinder with funky, high intake manifold & down draft carb. I didn't go completely through this thread, but it's the only one I've ever seen!

27. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

28. 4cv Renault down the street from a friends house. Not exactly HAMB material probably not too many left stateside.

29. uncle buck

uncle buck

That thing is very advanced for the 20's and gorgeous! Whats the history on it?

30. One of those in my garage, its in the classifieds, kinda rough but almost complete. That 4000 number is quite inflated they're a lot rarer than that. And they're Continentals not Lincoln.

Oh! taking offers........