Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Window channels for Model A Door glass options?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by A Rodder, Dec 27, 2013.

1. A Rodder

A Rodder

I have bought several sets from Macs ans everytime they are really tight and glass is a definite struggle to get rolled up.

For those of you who have bought some elsewhere, which supplier did you use and do you feel they were not to tight.

I am chopping an A and using the old glass which seems almost a tad thicker than the new glass I've used, and don't want I compound the issue.

Thanks, Joe

2. Do you mean the metal channel or the felt runner?
    For the felt I just get it from my local glass man. He sells it by the foot in a dozen different sizes.

3. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

Not what you asked but I put the bigger handles on mine.

4. crashbox

crashbox

Joe,
    I buy all my model A stuff from Bratton's. I've lost count of how many times I bought something from some other supplier and it did not fit or was just junk, but Bratton has done right by me.
    Only problem for us west coast guys is Bratton is in Maryland, so your stuff is a week or 10 days away.
    Tom

5. DICK SPADARO

DICK SPADARO
    Member Emeritus

OK three issues to address, is the glass too thick for the channel to install correctly in the track or the felt?, second is the glass size too large so it drags on the edges of the channel making the operation of the glass riser difficult ? or three does the regulator roller fit the roller track correctly, should be a loose fit so the roller slides down the slide track easily. What is your condition?

6. A Rodder

A Rodder

I am referring to the verical pieces that hook to the door at top and bottom that you he glass runs in.

:)

Ill look into them.

THE WINDOWS RAN UP AND DOWN PERFECTLY BEFORE I STARTED CHOPPING IT.

I had planned on using the old vertical felts but the literally fell apart taking them out.

And also, I have taken the necessary precautions when chopping this one and the others to not narrow or disrupt the travel of the glass after its chopped.

7. DICK SPADARO

DICK SPADARO
    Member Emeritus

Ok from your answer it seems that you have an issue with the glass run felts. These felt kits can be made in different width of glass sizes so it is a good idea to check tha the felt slides easily on the glass edge before installing. One other thing that I have found with difficult regulator operation is the incorrect positioning of the glass channels on the glass. Incorrectly centered between the felts the edges of the metal channel dig into the felt surface as the window is cranked up or down. If this is the problem area then you should take a light and look down the glass opening to determine that the metal channel end is not cutting into the felt channels.

8. A Rodder

A Rodder

In the other cars cases, the metal channel is a couple inches away from the glass edge, to where it can't contact the felts.

I like the idea of getting the felts for thicker glass, what's the best way to attach it to the door if it doesn't have the factory hooks that the A uses?

9. I've riveted the old hooks onto the new channel.

Don't know if it true anymore; but at one time the upholstery supply shop I bought new channel from also had a box of various styles of hooks, it was kinda like the boxes of color coded replacement door latch springs.

10. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

You might want to check the "old" glass in that Model A. Factory Model As had safety plate laminated glass windshields only. The door, quarter, and back glasses were all plate glass which is dangerous, deadly, when involved in an accident.
    Hopefully the glass was replaced once upon a time with safety glass.

11. I am in agreement with the others that the glass run my be too narrow,,you can remove it and put it on the work bench and tape a couple,or however many you need to spread the run by tapping the sticks with a rubber mallet.

Some of the new window runs are a lot thicker and you may end up having to take the glass to a shop and have them grind a little of the sides with a water sander. HRP

12. B Ramsey

B Ramsey

I installed new glass and new channels in my A. the passenger side worked perfectly, the driver side was very tight. i rolled it up and down with my hand inside the door to help it, many, many times. and let it sit for a couple months rolled up, rolleddown, halfway, etc. now it works fine. and my wife says i have no patience.

13. Vergil

Vergil

I use the same window channel in my A's as I do in my '37 Chevy. Works great plus has the nice little stainless steel rolled edges (made for the Chevy) and got it from I&I Reproductions.

Vergil

14. A Rodder

A Rodder

How did you attach it? As stated above with reriviting the hooks on, or adhesive them in?

15. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

When I had my model a I installed the felt strips with 3m adhesive. It was yellow almost like shot. Never loosened up or fell out.

16. captmullette

captmullette

google mike'sAfordable in ga. excellent product , has everything for model A's

17. Vergil

Vergil

They fit the channels snug but I also put a few dabs of "GOOP" on them and have never had a problem with them.