Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My Showrod Build Thread The 5T7

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by THE KUSTOMIZER, Dec 25, 2013.

1. THE KUSTOMIZER

THE KUSTOMIZER
    from south nj
    1. 60s Show Rods

I am starting my build thread of my SHOW ROD I have named it the 57 T. I picked up a 1923 Ford model T (fiberglass car) it had all the chromed suspension parts already on it that if I had to have chromed myself would have cost me thousands of dollars, not to mention the chromed jag rear. Well I have my starting point, I have had this idea of building a body from a rear end of a very rusty four door 1957 chevy back end for years (That I had done up as my rustic bench outside of my shop). Now ..I know... I know (The atomic punk has been done) I LOVE the atomic punk and is my inspiration as well as Big Daddy Roth and all the show rod builder greats. I would like to carry that on in my build (I hope LOL!!) It's getting a small block chevy 350 and a four speed. I started with the body at 66 inches wide and narrowed it down the middle to 42 inches wide. Here are some pics of where I am at so far....I will update here with a few suprises of what I have in store for this as I go. I hope you like what you see....

[​IMG]
    my rustic bench
    [​IMG]
    narrowed out
    [​IMG]
    I gave it some attitude in the rear
    [​IMG]

2. I think it could work. I'd drop the rear a foot or so.......

3. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

4. fleet-master

fleet-master

I'm with Eric ...but I'd probably only drop the rear by 8in or so. If the top of the fin was sittin about where the top of the white section is at present that'd do me....BUT it's your project and your vision and it's gona be cooool !! I LOVE 60's show rods!! :D:)

koondog likes this.
  5. THE KUSTOMIZER

THE KUSTOMIZER
    from south nj
    1. 60s Show Rods

I thought about dropping it,But I have plans for the trunk area and the gas tank I have already the other reason is I have a fully chromed out jag rear in it and that needs to be seen,besides a little attitude never hurt a 60's showrod!!Thanks for checkin it out...

6. Super cool!! Post more pics please.

7. The more I look at it the more I like it! Build on!!

8. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

9. Squablow

Squablow

I've seen a couple of 57 Chevy finned rods like this, although I don't know if any of them were finished. Has the potential to be neat if it's done right, I'll be watching.

I will say that I like the tail in the air. Too low looks modern to me, I think this is a show-rod appropriate rake.

10. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Would be neat if you could incorporate some '57 hood scoop thingies on it somewhere.

Love the 'out of the tub' thinking.

Oops, I meant 'out of the bucket' thinking. :)

Last edited: Dec 26, 2013
  11. THE KUSTOMIZER

THE KUSTOMIZER
    from south nj
    1. 60s Show Rods

I have seen a couple too but never any finished,I can tell you I will finish this..so keep watching...

12. THE KUSTOMIZER

THE KUSTOMIZER
    from south nj
    1. 60s Show Rods

I thought about the hood rockets too..If I find a spot that looks good I will try to do it....Thanks for watching..

13. I was keen to check this out, but my cheap phone wont let me see pics. Any chance you could load some into your profile albums? Also theres a 60 show rod social group here you may wana check out.

14. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Happy to see you using the "wheelwells"...too many "builders" decide to put the fenders inside the tires and "lose" the overall effect of a "late model" body/fins.

I too agree the rear needs to be dropped some, but if you use the straight '150' chrome trim (if you are going to use any at all), you can cut the wheelwells higher up into the fenders...and you'll have the '57 purists yelling at you for cutting up "a perfectly good 150 sedan...!!!"

Good luck with your build...

R-

15. THE KUSTOMIZER

THE KUSTOMIZER
    from south nj
    1. 60s Show Rods

Hi Jeff,I posted pics in my profile album,Thanks for letting me know about the 60's show rod social group..

16. THE KUSTOMIZER

THE KUSTOMIZER
    from south nj
    1. 60s Show Rods

I would like to use belair trim and didnt want to cut any higher...Thanks for checkin it out.....

17. You will need an over the top engine for that bad boy. Great build.

18. I love the stance of this. Kind of a "Street Freak" vibe. I'm looking forward to more!

19. DaPeach

DaPeach
    from NE OH

subscribed...I like the way you think.

20. I really love the crazy show rods. So many people have tried and failed though. Got my fingers crossed this one is gonna be cool. Good luck with the build.

21. evintho

evintho

22. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

looking forward to the build

23. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Did you see that "Edsel roadster" in the latest issue of Rod & Custom...??? There's some good "styling" cues there...

R-

24. THE KUSTOMIZER

THE KUSTOMIZER
    from south nj
    1. 60s Show Rods

Thanks guys,I havent seen the edsel roadster yet But I will check it out...

25. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Thought the same thing, if anyone knows more about it it would be good to see. would be helpful to you and anyone else stepping out on their own with custom roadster build.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=398915
    Check out this build for a few tips

26. Thanks very much. I took a look, and it was as id pictured, from your discription. I like where your going with it, and look forward to seeing more.

27. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

here is a picture of what i assume is the same one
    [​IMG]

28. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

[SIZE=+1]Ritchie Cockerline of Hudson Hew Hampshire sends along this snapshot of his '58 Edsel Roadster! He writes "It started out as a 4 door pacer. It now has a custom made frame, 302 eng, C4 trans w/teltouch shift. It has been narrowed 8 inches between the tail lights 13 inches at the new firewall the doors are the back doors of the 4dr"[/SIZE]

29. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

[SIZE=+1]From a search on the web
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1][​IMG]
    "Ritchie Cockerline of Hudson Hew Hampshire sends along this snapshot of his '58 Edsel Roadster! He writes "It started out as a 4 door pacer. It now has a custom made frame, 302 eng, C4 trans w/teltouch shift. It has been narrowed 8 inches between the tail lights 13 inches at the new firewall the doors are the back doors of the 4dr"[/SIZE]