Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scarebird

Scarebird
    Alliance Vendor
    from ABQ, USA

:eek: Love how these people are hanging out the windows and such going over a trestle...

2. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

No clue if he could shoot but he was very fast on the draw and he could do some amazing things with those pistols!Very good at gun handling tricks in real life.

3. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Is that the Puffing Billy railway in Victoria Australia?

Doc.

4. walpolla

walpolla

Yes Doc, you are correct. Still runs to this day, started in the early 50's.
    I bet the Nannys don't let the people hang out of the cars like that anymore though.
    regards,Rod:D

5. starwalker

starwalker

[​IMG]

The Peltier family in Shawnee, Oklahoma

6. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

I believe that this photo shows investigators checking out explosives left behind by militants who bombed 400 feet of pipeline of the Los Angeles Aqueduct project at No Name Canyon, between the Owens Valley (Central California) and Los Angeles. Many of the land owners and ranchers in that part of California believed that they were cheated out of their water rights by the Aqueduct developers. A number of attempts were made to destroy the Aqueduct with explosives. For the Hollywood version of this story, see the movie Chinatown. Los Angeles Times photo..

Last edited: Dec 27, 2013

7. [​IMG]

That cardboard rubber band gun would get a kid a lot of time off from school now a days. Come to think of it, it might have gotten you some time in the corner even back in 1954.

8. starwalker

starwalker

[​IMG]

I haven't quite figured out why this Shawnee, Oklahoma Santa Fe depot is in the Kansas Historical Society files, but not only is it in there, it still exists today in much the same form as a museum in Shawnee.

9. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

Here are a few more pictures of sabotage of the Los Angeles (now California) Aqueduct shortly after it was completed.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
  10. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thats the problem with our culture now days.

11. starwalker

starwalker

[​IMG]

Price Tower, Bartlesville, Oklahoma, designed by Frank Lloyd Wright.

mctim64 likes this.
  12. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

13. starwalker

starwalker

[​IMG]

Rogersville, Tennessee

14. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I've always been amused by this particular trestle, built with no decking. Riding in the train over the bridge must have seemed like you were like floating in the air - pulled by a levitating steam loco in slow motion. Gary

15. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

[​IMG]

Yes Doc, you are correct. Still runs to this day, started in the early 50's.
    I bet the Nannys don't let the people hang out of the cars like that anymore though.
    regards,Rod:D

We rode that in 2010 and as I recall they now have bars on the windows to prevent that deviant behavior, still a fun ride though.

B[​IMG]B

16. swi66

swi66

17. Boodlum

Boodlum

Guy in middle is holding a Colt Monitor, the lightest automatic-fire 30.06 machine gun ever made. Wish I had one today. My Dad humped the military BAR version across China, Burma and India in War 2. He said how heavy the mil version was.

BTW if those guys aren't Feds I would like to know who was sporting that armament. Spotlight on A-pillar suggests.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2013
  18. swi66

swi66

19. shepinski

shepinski
    from Racine Wi

20. Fortyfordguy

Fortyfordguy

My father at 3 years old (abt 1926) in his pedal car.

Attached Files:

21. Fortyfordguy

Fortyfordguy

My grandfather in his 1927-28ish Packard with my father and his sister on the running board.

My grandfather in his 1936 Packard 120 Touring Sedan

My grandparents in their 1948 Cadillac sedan

Attached Files:

22. ttpete

ttpete
    from SE MI

That's also a 100 round "C" drum on the 1921 Thompson.

23. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A BAR man's life expectancy after hitting the beach was 1 minute in WWII & Korea. They were targeted because of the mass firepower.

24. slowmotion

slowmotion

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0> <TBODY> <TR> <TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset">Originally Posted by swi66 [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>No clue if he could shoot but he was very fast on the draw and he could do some amazing things with those pistols!Very good at gun handling tricks in real life.

He was in a episode on the old TV western "The Rifleman". Some great footage of his gun handling (real). Plot was he was all show & no go. Lucas saved his skin in the end of course.:D

25. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Some great history from a real drag racing family.

26. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

This picture is from the Los Angeles City Library archives and shows the Los Angeles Police Dept. Bank Robbery Squad. Shot was taken in 1927 and the car is a Studebaker (according to the library photo caption).

27. swi66

swi66

28. swi66

swi66

29. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D If that photo of the guys with the Thompson and the BAR was in fact taken in 1927,that is PRE NFA act and those Thompsons were available to anyone across the counter of any sporting goods store or gun store in the nation.The "Monitor"version of the BAR was the CIVILIAN version that could also be purchased at any sporting goods store or gun dealer.Just a little trivia there.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

30. ttpete

ttpete
    from SE MI

In a practical sense, they wanted the BAR man to fire short bursts, 3 or 4 rounds. Sustained fire would overheat the barrel quickly, and replacement was an armorer's job. I had the opportunity to fire one in the service, and the cyclic rate was pretty slow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.