Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features New Coker Bias look radials

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hudson48, Dec 25, 2013.

1. hudson48

hudson48

I have the roadster in a "traditional" style and using genuine Coker bias ply
    tires.I know it would ride better and more safely on radials but wouldn't like the look of ordinary wide white radials on this car.

You have to drive on Australian roads to appreciate that any option to improve ride and safety is worth considering.A friend who runs the same bias combo that I do on his hiboy 32 tried a set of conventional radials on his roadster.
    He took his wife for a drive without telling her that he had swapped tires and her first comment was "what have you done to the car it seems to ride a lot better". He went back to his bias only because of the "look".

I just saw some promo for the new Coker bias look radials and wondered if anyone here has taken the plunge and put some on.This tyre won best new product at SEMA 2013.I watched the video and it says available in 2014 so not sure if there has been any early release.

http://www.cokertire.com/brands/american-classic-tires/american-classic-bias-profile-radials.html

Click on the video in the bottom left hand also.

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I have a friend who's looking to try a set of those. Says he's tired of his '53 changing lanes on it's own.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. I sure hope they are rounder then their coker classics.....................After many a set of their tires I'm no fan.......... but They do make good tire swings....

lothiandon1940 and willbe like this.
  4. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

When I was close to getting the Classics, my concern was that they would have the "balloon" look that radials have. My new engine ultimately shot that idea down, but now I see the price of the "bias look" will ensure that I'll probably never own a pair.

willbe likes this.

5. Coker Tires = Tires as round as a brick

Lil32 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  6. parts37

parts37

A little off subject but im switching to wide whites, thinking about getting Coker Classics, whats everyones experience with them? (good or bad) . I can only afford it once so any advice appreciated

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. People like to bitch about Coker Tires,some are legitimate,others are not.

I have the Coker Bias ply on my truck and don't have any complaints at all,,heck they are bias ply,they drive like bias ply but through my formative years learning to drive there were on radials.

Lady HRP's wagon has the Coker Classic radials but to me they just look like radials,they drive good but are short and squatty looking. HRP

8. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

If you really, I mean really want the "Look" it has to have bias plys...

T-DeWitt likes this.
  9. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

If you ARE going to www radials go with Diamondback. I love mine...

Wanted: 1937 Nash Coupe

10. TANNERGANG

TANNERGANG
    BANNED
    from alabama

"diamondback"....no other

11. Wow just do a search.....

12. The only problem with Diamond backs is they look like radials,they don't have the tall profile that so many of us like.

Coker is now making radials that have that visual appeal of a bias ply tire. HRP

13. A Boner

A Boner

These radial tires are listed on the Diamond back web site as "coming soon". Not too sure of the "soon" part. If they are as good as I'm hoping, they will sell like hot cakes!

Attached Files:

14. Jalopyrama Mike

Jalopyrama Mike

Diamondback WWW, ride and look great on my mild custom '47 Ford convertible.

15. sntos63

sntos63

I just mentioned in another thread before I found this one, that I took a look at the price of those bias ply looking radials and WOW! Not for a lower middle class family man like me! I guess they only serve the wealthier fellas with money to burn.. I guess I'll be going with recaps. Good enough for me. But it Is a bitching idea! Can't wait to see them out there!

TRADITION NEVER DIES!

16. Prices don't seem that bad to me I spend that on tires for my daily every couple of years and they are not a low volume specialty market tire like these.

pecker head likes this.
  17. richie rebel

richie rebel

what is the price,(ball park).........

18. The diamondbacks and the cokers look to be exactly the same. They must be a 3rd party manufacturer that is selling them through vendors.

Maybe the price will come down with a little competition.

19. sntos63

sntos63

Between $200-$300 each tire. The sizes that I'm looking at seem to start at around $250-$280 each one. DAMN. Maybe it's the initial shock of looking at the price. Idk..

TRADITION NEVER DIES!

20. sntos63

sntos63

The last time I bought some actual bias ply tires for my 63 C10 was about 7 years ago and costed me around $580 at the time. After that I got some thin white walls for about $270. So I guess it's shocking to see the prices on these again! Man!

TRADITION NEVER DIES!

56longroof likes this.
  21. zoegrant

zoegrant
    from CT

Have had Coker radials and never could balance them fully....I now have Diamond back radials and they are smooth a silk...my diamond backs have Michelin carcass...cost approx $230. each plus shipping plus tubes and installation....$1050. Total.....OUCH

22. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Coker's are made with the white wall. Diamondbacks have the white wall glued on.

23. TANNERGANG

TANNERGANG
    BANNED
    from alabama

I've had one set of Cokers.....and several sets of Diamondbacks...never had a problem with the Diamondback..balanced out nice....the Cokers were like riding without shocks on the car.

willbe likes this.
  24. Diamondback impressed me....[​IMG]

25. The new Coker American Classics look great. My concern is how they look when on a car and on the ground with all the wieght on them. Will they keep there look or bulge like a radial.? These look so close to a bias ply will they loose the effect of a radial.? Would love to here some comments when somebody actualy have them on there car and goes for a ride.

26. randy

randy

x2

Let's keep this thread away from all the normal ruts that we get caught in when talking about tires. Do a search, bitch somewhere else or keep it to yourself.

SPECIFICALLY...

Does anyone own a set of the new Coker American Classic - bias profile, radial tire? If so, how do they look with weight on them? How do they ride? How did they balance out?

Post your feedback here, PLEASE.

-r

27. sntos63

sntos63

Yes that's what I wanna see. As soon as somebody puts them to the pavement upload some pix PLEASE!

TRADITION NEVER DIES!

28. -
    -I heard they don,t come out till early 2014. And real life feedback would be great.

29. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

I'm with you on this, my Sue's A RP has had Coker classics on it for 10 years without any problems and she likes to drive it hard, I had Coker Classics on my T for 10 years also and that had all sorts of abuse on the road and track, a lot of people blame tyres but very often its incorrect geometry that is causing the main problem.

Hot Rod Rodney likes this.
  30. Diamondback all the way
    Cokers are probably ok after ya knock all the square spots off the bricks
    Wouldn't use em on my lawn mower

1927graham likes this.