Register now to get rid of these ads!

Y-block firing order fiasco...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mechanic58, Dec 21, 2013.

1. mechanic58

mechanic58

To me, the GM cylinder numbering system makes more sense. They're numbered by the connecting rod, starting from the front. This results in the furthest forward cylinder being #1 and each successive cylinder on that bank being an odd number (1-3-5-7, etc with 2-4-6-8 on the pass side). Fords have always been asshole backwards and illogical in my opinion. lol

Yep, far as I know. I guess I was just having a brain fart on this deal here - afterall - I found the diagram on the almighty internet...it couldn't possibly be wrong!

2. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

You really oughta try a Pontiac!

3. HarryT

HarryT
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

On the Buick Nailhead diagram, not only is the distributor on the wrong end of the motor, but cylinders 1,3,5,7 should be on the left side facing the motor and 2,4,6,8 should be on the right side.

4. Well, believe this or else, I did a Y block for my uncle and somehow wired the distributor backwards. I had #1 wire in the right hole but went the wrong direction from there. The thing actually started and ran although crappy. I even drove it on the road. I was pulling my hair out and was just about to pull the timing cover off to see if I screwed up there. I made one last look at the manual and there it was.......yeah, I felt pretty stupid.

5. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Chilton, Motor, or Mitchell manuals is probably where the problem stems from in the first place, not MSD.

Looks to me like they have reprinted an illustration from one of the above and if you think they don't make errors and/or provide incomplete information, you haven't worked for them as I have.

6. mechanic58

mechanic58

lmao - I had my shit half-assed running also, cross-wired. I was ready to punch a baby. It sounded like it was running about 20* ATDC, but I KNEW it was actually 'advanced'. The worst part of all of this is that I fucking KNOW BETTER. I got caught up with "official documents" that couldn't possibly be wrong.

Now I know why my old man has a conspiracy theory about everything....lol.

7. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

I still have old C. E. Niehoff ignition parts catalog and tune up manuals that list almost anything you want to know about an engine and they were free.

8. I have found that almost anything printed or listed by Man will have mistakes, use common sense and double check. If it doesn't sound/look right cross check it. When I read a book or a manual and find an obvious mistake on something I know about it makes me question the things I read that I don't know about. Know what I mean? :rolleyes: lol Mistakes are everywhere. :p

9. I spent half a day trying to get one to run in an Edsel- double, triple checked plug leads, TDC, valve positions, it wouldnt fire or run for shit- until a buddy reads the book and calmly reads out..."the V8 distrubutor runs CCW!!!".... I've only ever worked on non-Ford V8,s where the distributor ran CW. Pulled the plug leads off, put them in the right holes and it fired up and ran like a watch!
    Damn Fords!

10. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

You're not the only one who has had trouble figuring out firing order. After a while I finally figured out the firing order on my grandkids new Junior Dragster Briggs and Stratton engine:

11. I doubt if that is true .... maybe Haynes or the more amateur manuals but not Motors Manual. Printed every year with a new edition and bought by pros, the professional would be on the publishers ass in a heartbeat if there were any mistakes.

I think the problem lies with MSD ... their graffix (spelled that way on purpose!) department needs to brush up on their cut and paste skills.

A used $10 Motors Manual from the swapmeet is well worth the cost.

12. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

That's an old chart lying static on the internet.
    I just looked at MSD's site and they have posted a corrected version of the chart (a quick glance shows at least the Flathead and VW info was corrected).
    What a red faced episode for MSD though. Wonder how many pissed off and frustrated wrenches called their tech line!?

http://www.msdignition.com/default.aspx?id=15476&blogid=429&terms=firing order

13. Mike Moreau

Mike Moreau

Nailhead diagram is also incorrect. Correct is: distributor at rear, #1 on the front, passenger side. Everyone make mistakes, It would be interesting to know how MSD reacts to this.

14. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Surely you jest

Once a printed manual has been published, it's uncorrectable and like a mousetrap, it is just waiting for someone to get caught in it.

Corrections to book errors are now posted on the company website. Now the guy who bought the book is going to look for errors on a computer?

In addition to the subject errors discussed here, I remember a Truck Repair manual back in the 90's that had the captions for two diferent sized Ford V8 engine Torque specs and tightening sequence diagrams reversed.

Got a call from a customer who had stripped some threads out the block. Now anyone being super careful may have looked at both diagrams and realized the problem but most would not.

Cost me, not the company, for the Heli coil repair.

Again don't blame MSD, they used available industry information, it just happened to be wrong.

15. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

yeah...one mistake I could take that road, but 4 mistakes on one page??? Im sorry but they deserve blame on that. All somebody had to do was double check someone elses work.

16. mechanic58

mechanic58

In retrospect - *I* suspect someone took that diagram and photoshopped it and then posted it conspicuously on the internet as a joke. If you look at the diagram it would be extremely easy to chop up - even with a program as simple as MS Paint.

17. mechanic58

mechanic58

See....this only took me 10 mins...

[​IMG]

18. sunbeam

sunbeam

Maybe that is the correct firing order for a Pontiac flathead V8. Yes they did make one 1932.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2013
  19. 327Eric

327Eric

you are missing the optional Willys Hemi, but the VW order looks right now.

20. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Nope, Bangshift.com pasted it from MSD's website on 9-14-09.

http://bangshift.com/blog/chart-of-common-v8-firing-orders-courtesy-msd.html

The link to MSD on the Bangshift page now leads to the corrected chart as I posted the link to above.
    MSD screwed up royal then made the corrections, no doubt after having a lot of folks letting them know about the errors. MSD's exec's must have been red ass embarrased when they (and their competition) heard about their tech sheet being full of holes!

21. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

Seems I recall one of the manuals had the wrong main cap torque specs. for the 312 Y and this led to many a cracked main web. Anyone know if this is correct? Which manual?

22. Zerk

Zerk

Funny as hell, but I almost wish you hadn't created this landmine for the oblivious:rolleyes::D

23. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

It is the correct firing order. The problem with Pontiac engines is #2 is in front of #1. Factory iron intakes have the numbers on them, so if you look on the intake you will have no problem.

24. mechanic58

mechanic58

lol...I couldn't help myself.

25. Yes this is true. Motors manual has it listed as 120-130 lbs WRONG! :rolleyes:

26. chase knight

chase knight

Another fun deal with the first year 239 Y-block, the distributor has the same appearance as the later ones, however the gear tooth count is one off from the later models. The 239 cam (with the matching number of teeth) is a different diameter, so it's tough to mess up swapping cams, but having "overdrive" on the distributor can lead to some creative troubleshooting. Regards, Chase