Register now to get rid of these ads!

What to do

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by olskool34, Dec 22, 2013.

1. olskool34

olskool34

I have a wanted ad on here for a vintage temperature gauge and a hamber (who shall remain nameless at this point) pm'd me saying he had one. He sent me pics through my email and I told him if it is in working condition, I will take it. He said yes so I sent the money through paypal as a gift to avoid fees.

Got the gauge yesterday and it is in very nice shape. I tested it in a pot of boiling water and it does not work. I emailed him saying I agreed to his price if it worked and he sent me an email saying exactly this: "Sorry, I do not refund"

I cannot fight it through paypal because it was sent as a gift. Is this how sellers are here? I sell on here and I would never lie about somethings condition. I am thinking of sending it back to him regardless but man o man. Burned!

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Maybe the bulb got damaged in shipping.

3. kyvetteman

kyvetteman

Hopefully you're not out a lot of money. I've found that more often than not most people are honest, but it sucks that some aren't. I firmly believe that karma will catch up with him or her if that's any consolation. What goes around comes around as they say...

4. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

If you feel wronged, and it was a Hamb'r, and he won't make it right...call him out on here in an open forum for all to see... bet he would think twice about it again.

kidcampbell71 likes this.

5. olskool34

olskool34

I thought about that but it was his reply that made me upset. If it were me, I would have offered some kind of fix.

6. belair

belair

send him a pm about this thread, wait 24 hrs. and if he won't do something to make it right, out him.

7. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

Probably had no idea if it worked but figured it did... My opinion... Just write it off as a lesson learned or you can just get yourself all upset and nothing still gets solved...
    I was on the other side of something real similar... Had a SW temp gauge, The temp wire was only like 6 inches long, But I did tell him about it and even sent multiple pics showing it... He got real upset when he got it...

8. badnabor

badnabor

I agree. Maybe he'll take heed, instead of incurring damage to his rep. I would at least like to hear both sides before passing judgement.

9. Paypal frowns on sellers asking for it to be sent as a "gift", obviously for fee loss. If you show PP that he suggested a transaction be sent as a gift, often they will lock down his account.

10. I totally agree with Larry,,I buy and sell on the hamb and I sold a radio that worked when I sent it out,,the Hamber that bought it sent me a PM almost 6 months later and said it didn't work.

I ask him to send it back and I would refund him the money he paid,plus what it cost to send it back.

When dealing with fellow HAMBERS I feel it is imperative to be honest and treat people fair,sometimes you make a buck and sometimes you don't.

Screwing people over will not make friends & influence guys here and can result in a member being banned,don't roll over and play dead.

Call him out..BTW..try to do business with Alliance Members. HRP

11. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

You don't mind screwing Paypal out of their fees but you are crying foul when you don't get what you have coming? Double standard??

People, especially on this forum, badmouth eBay and Paypal and feel somehow entitled to abuse those services when it suits them. If you aren't willing to pay a legitimate business for it's service...don't use that service.

All that said, that doesn't excuse the seller in this situation.

12. adam401

adam401

Pay your PayPal fees when they are due instead of dodging them. The capillary tube and bulb are probably damaged. Old parts are a crapshoot and unless the seller reps the parts as tested and 100 percent operational you share the risk. Would have sold it as is if I hadn't tested it. Two reasonable men should know the spirit of the deal made between them and what conditions were implied. Moral dilema solved. Merry Christmas

Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
  13. oldolds

oldolds

Not working? No different than if you bought it out of the pic-a-part or off the flea market table. Some things you just have to take a chance on. I would have considered it a plus if a 50 year old gauge worked.

14. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

I haven't had issues with sellers on the hamb in general but you are buying a used part, as is. The seller has no idea how part was handled once it left his hands. I would try to make it right if it were me as we are a fellowship of like minded individuals. But most sellers are not businesses and this isn't ebay. It ran when parked (they are usually parked for a reason) and the part functioned before it was taken off previous application as most are when buying at swap meets. It's the chance you take on used goods. Hope your not out much.

15. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I agree with those who castigate you for using a dodge on Pay Pal, but even more do I chastise you for not joining/buying from Alliance members.
    Join up and help support this great source of info, friends, and parts instead of freeloading!!!!!!!!

16. Yes and no. Did the seller say it worked? Did you ask if it worked? If either of these are yes, then I feel he needs to refund without question.

If both of those answers are no, then more comes into play. If he never said it wotked and you didnt ask, but it was a $20 gauge, although I personally would refund, I would write it off as a life lesson. However, if it was a $200 gauge, first, I damn well would have asked, but regardless, the seller knows if a guy is spending $200 on a gauge, its because he probably expects it to work.

I often sell parts for a lower price because I cant (or dont want to take the time) to test them. Example: If Im selling an old $25 6 volt radio, is it really worth MY time to find a 6 volt source, hook it up to speakers, and not only test it, but guarentee it works for $25? No, I value time more than that. I will take that time if its a rare $300 radio. I do say if it is untested so the BUYER can decide if that risk is worth it to him.

17. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

he said it worked and it did not. if you paid with a credit card they should refund your money, then paypal will take it from the seller.

18. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

I have a wanted ad on here for a vintage temperature gauge and a hamber (who shall remain nameless at this point) pm'd me saying he had one. He sent me pics through my email and I told him if it is in working condition, I will take it. He said yes so I sent the money through paypal as a gift to avoid fees.
    Some of you guys need to re read what he wrote. Asked seller if it worked would buy if it did. Receives item its not working how it was paid for makes no difference its no good. The seller should do the right thing or be banned. If he doesn't I would contact Ryan he should be banned for screwing a member.

19. adam401

adam401

While we are re-reading the original post and rethinking our responses perhaps we should also remind ourselves that it's fucking stupid for a grown man to ask for advice about a transaction gone potentially wrong on am internet forum and I for one an going to be thankful this holiday season that I know how to handle my own shit.

20. Kensey

Kensey
    from Pittsburgh

I thought by claiming "gift" on PayPal you incur the fees instead of the seller. The fee is not dodged, just payed by the buyer.

It's a shame, but some people just have NO integrity. If he said it worked, it should work. If you're not sure, say so. No surprises, no let downs. And you can take "let the buyer beware" and stick it in your ass. Just be honest. Both sellers and buyers.

21. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Daaaaang! Every forum needs at least one fella who just says what he's thinking.;) That's funny!

22. ctfordguy

ctfordguy

Is it downright broken OR is the fluid not in the bulb. If it is a fluid location issue there is a thread either here or probably on the Fordbarn on how to fix it with Dry Ice. If you don't get satisfaction from the seller....check on it.
    Good luck. The situation sucks but don't have a stroke over it
    Bruce/CT

23. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

You must tell us who the seller is. 1) So that we all can be protected. 2) So that we can go after him and get your money back

I can fix it.

24. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

A lot of folks seem to be ready to lynch the seller without hearing his side of the story or ask for additional info from the O/P. There's a lot of basic info missing.

Olskool34;
    As a buyer, the onus is generally on you to choose to add parcel insurance. Did you waive the option to insure the parcel? If it were insured and arrived broken from transit, you would have a claim on the shipping Co. (not the seller) and be made whole on the deal.
    You may still have a claim on the shipping Co. if you waived additional insurance above their standard coverage. As an example, I believe USPS is $50.

How much did the part cost?

Lets also consider, this is a part that would be considered somewhat fragile and potentially breakable in transit.

Thus, the part could have been in working order (as the seller aluded to)when shipped, but arrived in an unworking state. There's no way to know if he lied or the part was broken in transit.

It would be different if the seller stated an aluminum intake manifold had good threads but arrived with stripped threads.

25. rockfish

rockfish

That's my understanding about the gift claim on PayPal. The buyer pays the fees. My other hobby is electric guitars and for some reason it is very common for sellers to require the buyer to cover the PayPal fees by claiming the payment as a gift.

26. olskool34

olskool34

Relax there bud, I just wanted some advice. I am not a stupid man and I thought the seller would be more than happy to work this out with me but after he did not, I thought I would ask here what to do. Turns out he has stopped communication with me. I am writing it off. I have contacted Ryan regarding this. It was a 50.00 gauge, not cheap but not expensive either. The whole point of this thread was to see if I was in the wrong by asking for a refund. I don't buy gauges from swap meets because you can't test them, but when you are told it was tested and works and shows up not working, that just burns my ass.

27. adam401

adam401

I was way too harsh about your post. Sorry and hope things work out well. Merry Christmas

28. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

In his writings somewhere about the classifieds, Ryan has stated that he can/will police only transaction between Alliance members. Solution for the fuure is simple, join the Alliance and buy only from Alliance members.
    It's a win/win situation you help support this forum, and you can deal with other Alliance members with assurances Ryan will help when help is needed and justified.
    You also could have gotten some help from Pay Pal if you had been straight with them.