Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1940 Ford Coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by clips221, Dec 17, 2013.

1. MBog

MBog

2. fatkoop

fatkoop

Great find! If you've never owned a '40, you'll be surprised how nice a car they are. Just fix the basic things to make it road worthy, no need to go overboard, stock steering and brakes are fine if in good shape. Get it running, get it driving and enjoy! I put many thousands of miles on mine every year with all stock running gear and a '62 283.

3. Congratulations. Have fun and enjoy the ride.

4. 1941coupe

1941coupe

in my opinion the 1940 ford is the best looking ford that henry ever made,keep the flathead if you can and never sell it you will regret it later if you do, ask me how I know...best of luck with it

5. Nice find. Get it running and enjoy it for next summer then start work on it next winter .

6. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Get it running and remove/preserve as many of those rust areas as you can. The longer you look at those, the harder they are to fix. After driving with the stock brakes, trans, rear and flathead for a while you'll know what you want to change, if anything. It looks like it may have a 4dr front seat. Great find.

7. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

Fords best looking car of all time in my book.

8. Jake H.

Jake H.

Subscribed!

I'm looking forward to seeing this one progress. What a great start.

I was lucky with mine, and did exactly what you describe as planned (well, just getting around to patching floors, this winter). They are a nice driving car, right out of the box.

My only advice is to keep it simple and work with what you have (my own mantra that gets challenged often).

9. racinman

racinman
    Member Emeritus

Nice! I was also looking at it on CL... enjoy, it looks like a good one!

10. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

I blew the motor in my '40 coupe back in 1959---I sold it right where she quit. I was going to go out and buy another one; RIGHT. I'm on no. 5 (Avatar) and no coupe since '59.

11. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

have had quite a few and won't be without one --my favorite Ford-good luck and pts aren't that difficult to find.

12. clips221

clips221

Headed To pick up the 40 afterwhile. Can't wait to get it home and in the shop....

13. clips221

clips221

Got it home. Dang now I gotta make room.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

14. MERCURYGUY

MERCURYGUY

You will love it I had a deluxe all original. It drove light a dream. On top of it the 1940 Ford is an all time favorite.

15. two couped up

two couped up
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from pa.

Get it on the road and let the fun begin. I've had mine since 1972 and till death do us part.

16. clips221

clips221

Got a couple valves stuck in the flathead. If the engine needs rebuilt I'm wondering whether to rebuild it or drop a sbc in it...

Attached Files:

17. dclickster

dclickster

Congrats ! I'm envious ! Have a good time on the build.

18. clips221

clips221

who has the best fitting patch panels for the 40 coupes? needs door bottom's, bottom of the panels behind the door, and a good bit of flooring patched. I worked on it in my sleep all night long. :D

19. KStewart

KStewart

I always wanted a 1940 Ford but I did not get one until late in life. I was born in 40. I had several 39's but not a 40. Now that I have one I am happy now. Wish you luck with yours.

Attached Files:

20. richie rebel

richie rebel

nice car,good luck with it..........

21. Jake H.

Jake H.

lothiandon1940, I was just watching Thunder Road, and Niles Pendlin drove the '49 Olds coupe. Jed had the '40 coupe...

I can't wait to see this car get underway!

22. clips221

clips221

Floor pans are very rough. The bottom of the Rear door jams are rusted away from the body. Looks like I have more work ahead of me than I thought. It's all good...

Attached Files:

23. .....Thanks, I think you are correct, I believe it was maybe Jethro Moultrie.:confused:....aka, Jed.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  24. Was this the coupe that was advertised on Cl,,I believe it was in Pickens. HRP

25. Jake H.

Jake H.

The floors and quarter patches should be available through EMS, Dennis Carpenter, Bob Drake, etc...

Really common rustout areas. Check under the cowl sides/firewall/front body mounts. The trunks and rear roll pan areas are also usually hammered in these cars, if they sat outside at all.

26. clips221

clips221

That's the one HRP. it was in Pickens. Was originally bought in Belton SC

27. clips221

clips221

Was hoping the engine would just need cleaned up to run but that's not the case. Valves were stuck and very rusty. One piston journal is scared up pretty bad also. Gonna pull the engine and transmission this week.
    Being that I've gotta rebuild an engine, the question is whether to go with a SBC or stay with the flathead.. Decisions, Decisions...

28. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

Sbc is a great engine... But! Yblock it if the flathead is out. Or find a decent used flathead with some wear, install it, and wear it out.

29. metal man

metal man

Nice find there.

When it comes to the rear body panel below the decklid, Drake's fit the best, and I've used them all. Everything else, I make myself, so I can't speak for.