Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The bucket of ugly! A de-uglifying thread...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by need louvers ?, Aug 14, 2013.

1. johnod

johnod

Why not a chain or cable on the inside of the cap, other end attached through top of tank with small bolt through, and a nut inside the tank.
    Or some sort of 2 part cross bar inside, that you could slide and lock to a length that would make it impossible to fit through filler hole.
    Invisible, and requires tools to remove.
    Not quick and easy to steal.

Just an idea off the top of my head.

2. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

All I know is coming out of the bank today and seeing the cap just poking above the bed on the car made me giggle a little... Stuff I have been thinking about for a long time but never bothered with on previous cars is coming true with this one! Time to get going on the tonneau cover...

3. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Ain't it the coolest? I smile outside and inside, whenever I walk out and she's just sittin' there. Waiting. Wondering if any Camaros are lurking about. You and me. We'll take 'em on.

4. CoolHand

CoolHand
    Alliance Vendor

Were it me, I would affix a short length of fairly fine chain to the inside of the tank (in some fashion) and then again to the underside center of the cap (possibly in conjunction with the vent, perhaps via a swivel fitting of some type) such that there is only enough slack to unscrew the cap and move it to one side to accomplish fueling.

It won't stop gas thieves, but it'll keep your gas cap from walking off when you're not looking.

5. daddio211

daddio211

6. I agree with securing it inside the tank. The problem with putting a cable on one of the ears is that the cap still needs to unscrew to come off. That requires a lot of slack in the cable, making it more noticeable.

7. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Chip just bring the old cap with you and put it on whenever you have to park where it is unprotected or overnight. I have to do that with my Grabowski shift knob and I am starting to worry about some of the other vintage parts on my roadster. Not sure if I mentioned before but I started worring about my quick release steering wheel and drilled and pinned the end of the release pin. Now it takes vice grips to take it off. Maybe a small hidden allen set screw at the bottom of the threads on your gas cap to lock it on.

On a happier note I will be driving the roadster to my club breakfast this morning. About 20 miles away. Pretty warm out for winter here 50 degrees now at about 7 am.

Gary

8. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Good to hear your going to a club function Gary! It's about the same over here today and I have to drive about the same over to the west side of town to pickup some "CHEVROLET" stencils for the valve covers on "endlessearth's " truck. It's gonna be cold, but it'll be fun anyway.

Your idea for an allen set screw is probably the best I have heard so far! I could drill a shallow detent for it in the filler neck threads and keep the proper allen on my keychain... Simple.

Truth be told, you guys are starting to make me worry about things I have never worried about before! I have driven nothing but hot rods all my life and never worried about theft, as I am REALLY well known around town, and regarded as someone you don't want to steal from. Beyond that though, I have always held the belief that our cars are just too far outside the imagination of the typical "thief aged" miscreant. I still don't believe that if given a choice I would leave this car unattended in a mall parking lot for any amount of time....

9. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Me arriving to breakfast. No it wasn't that cold but I'm a wimp. You guys from "down under" it is winter here.

Attached Files:

10. Hey Gary, I'm just pleased you got out and about in your mighty T for a fun breakfast and after your heart problems, it would pay to take care. My Uncle had to give up riding his Triumph motorcycle for awhile after heart surgery as the breathing in of cold air wasn't good for him until he was fully recovered.

11. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Thanks Whip but I think I am fully recovered. It's been three months since the valve was installed. I was concerned about splitting firewood so I emailed my cardiologist and she said I could do anything I wanted. Nothing could jar it loose.

Great fun though getting the roadster out. Think I'll try to do it regularly even through the winter.

12. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hey, Gary;

That is funny. Snowmobile suit, long-gloves, facemask, & helmet next? :D .

Did that exact thing in Jan once. In a bright yellow 6-deuce'd Olds pwr'd 32 5w. W/no windows except the windscreen, & a cardboard top (obviously unfinished car). In Minn. Heater didn't help a bit- :D . For some reason got the strangest looks... :D. WTF??????? :D . &, I found out, that at ~ 100mph at night, the cardboard top takes flight to parts unknown, nevermore to be found. :D .

Glad to hear you're recovered. Rock on!

Marcus...

13. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Simple and done. Great idea, I think that's what I'd do.

Good to catch up on things around here, haven't been on here for awhile. In my driveway right now, high temps are around the zero degree range so even if I had a cool roadster like yours I'd probably wimp out on cruising around town....

You guys don't know how good you have it! :)

14. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

For securing your gas cap either weld a lenght of chain to one of the tank mounts or bolt 1 end to a solid point in the bed, When worried the cap may walk slip the hasp of a lock through the end of the chain and one of the slots in your cap. Cover the chain with either a fabric boot or vinyl tubing. An alternate would be to bend up a flat strap in such a way that you can bolt to any solid point you like near the tank and it sits just below one of the wings of the tightened gas cap put a hole in the strap in line with the cap slot and again use a padlock through both to secure the cap when you see fit.

15. AndersF

AndersF

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  16. jalopy45

jalopy45

This time of the year I'd prefer this one., [​IMG] , MERRY CHRISTMAS

17. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

18. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Looks like fun! I sure like your little car Gary. Sounds damn good too pulling away...

19. fryguy

fryguy

Now thats cool

20. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Yea, that is gonna look SO bitchin poking through there.

21. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Cool! gotta say, I dont see alot of guys driving open cars around here right now...;):D

22. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

^^^ Boy, is this true! ^^^^ :D .

Looks good, & fun, Gary.

Marcus...

23. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Sorry guys but as I said I was wimpy over dressed. It was 50 degrees when I left and when the video was made it must have been 60 or better. Don't know if you get our weather forecasts but we are in a drought here. Way behind in rain or any bad weather. I love global warming. God knows I've contributed enough to it. :) It is running so great and the weather is so good I should be driving the shit out of it.

24. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Never be too upset about being a cold weather wimp... These guys would laugh hysterically ay me on a sub 70degree day with my leather jacket on. I come from Minnesota originally, but I live in the dessert by choice!

25. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Great video! Your car looks sweet and sounds VERY aggressive. That looks like a very cool get together.

26. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

It's surprising just how cold you can get in a bucket at highway speed once out of direct sunlight...especially up this way I guess!
    During the day I find 70*+ is perfect with just a sweatshirt or the like, but once the sun drops low and you're still running 65-70mph, I'm in my leather jacket and toque (knit cap), making no apologies!
    Better a little warm than a lot cold.
    All part of the adventure, and why I love open cars.

27. Merry Christmas to all that follow this thread with all its twists and turns, have a great day with family and friends, be safe.

28. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Merry Christmas to all you guys! Thank you so much for the fun this year here on our thread!

29. jerry

jerry

Going to central on sat?

jerry

30. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Ya, I think so. If it's not raining, or freezing, or...