Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Building a Traditional EARLY drag car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KustomRocket88, Dec 10, 2013.

1. KustomRocket88

KustomRocket88

Hello,

I have a few questions here, I don't log onto the HAMB very often and I believe it's been about a year since I've actually signed in. I have a question on parts for those of you (I'm assuming most) that go through junkyards and find things along the way. This might sound common but I haven't been able to locate this anywhere in New England or even Antique Autos in Texas.

I'm looking for the driver's side door trim to a 1963 Chevy Biscayne - it is very year and model specific, no other model or year will work. Anyone know of one around or have trim kicking around they want to sell?

The other question is in regard to photographs. I'm building a period-correct tribute drag car out of my '63 Chevy Biscayne; I'm doing my best with my budget to keep it as if it was raced like many back between the time it was new to around '65, parked in a barn and just brought out of storage for the first time since like '66 or so. I'm putting emphasis on final kustom touches one might have done at my age (22) back then though the focus was clearly changing into the early street scene and drag racing - specifically on the East Coast. (Not quite the Watson fade era but more the mild tuck n roll white interior maybe nosing and decking, I have '56 Chevy tail light lenses, etc) Does anyone have any photographs of late great Chevys at the strip when they ran black rims and white walls on the East Coast? Anything from the Sanford Drags??

Any help would be greatly appreciated for this fellow here.

Thank you, and keep up the great posts and interesting threads!

-Mike

P.S. I am not the greatest typer, yes "early" is a broad definition hopefully someone will get the picture. I'm not computer savvy so please have some respect for me. Thank you very much

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

3. I looked at a old 63 awhile back at a estate sale that was ran till the mid 70s, the engine was taken out to use in a Vega drag car and the car was pushed behind the guys shop where it sat till he passed away.
    It was much like you were talkin about. Sorry I have no pictures.
    The interior was pretty much stock.Had a old Baldcamp Tach and Stewart Warner guages. A toggle switch for a electric fuel pump. A hole in the floor where the shifter once came through.
    The exterior was stock with a pair of tow bar tabs under the front bumper. A pair of rusty M/T raider front wheels. And a pair of 7in Marsh recap
    slicks on black station wagon wheels. Had various decals on the quarter windows. Under the hood was unchanged except the battery was moved to the rear. and had a homemade cool can for the fuel line.
    The time and weather had taken its toll,so the old car was pretty rough.but was really nice to look at. SPEEDY

4. KustomRocket88

KustomRocket88

Hello Speedy - Thanks for this feedback! I'm making special note here...really cool ideas. I do have the Stewart Warner gauges set aside for this and the three gauge panel for it. Do you remember where the toggle switch for the electric fuel pump was mounted? Do you know if it had a 327? 409?

I love those tow bar tabs, I plan on doing those to mine as well. It's a bit hard to find photos of '63s other than the "Old Reliable" and a green one doing a wheel stand I found on Instagram. I see plenty of '61 Biscaynes though. If you ever get the chance or know anyone who might have photos of this (even in its condition now), it would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you again :)

5. Rick Sis

Rick Sis
    from Tulsa OK

6. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

7. I checked around,was told the car was sold to some one in the in the Hayti Mo.area.
    I dont know what engine they ran, I know it was a small block.
    I know the car had 283 emblems on it.
    The toggle switch was mounted in a 3 guage panel for the guages,which was mounted under the dash.
    The car was probably ran in Stock classes at local strips.
    I really wish I had gotten some pictures. If I remember any other details I will let you know

8. 12gauge

12gauge

Check out the books, Junior Stocker and Super Stock-drag racing the family sedan. Great pics and info .

9. 12gauge

12gauge

I am in the process of doing the same thing. Going with my 283 as my power plant.

10. ZachB

ZachB

If you are ever in Missouri we have a few junk yards with those parts. The one I go to is separated by decade. It's starts in the 30s and continues along into the 40s then you walk into the 50s followed by the 60s. It continues this pattern until the most current decade. The stuff from the 30s to the 50s is more mixed up though.

11. You'd do well to pick either a drag theme or a custom theme.

Drag car builders would've spent their $$ on speed parts and left the body and interior stock (except for a tach, shifter and maybe some extra gauges).

Custom builders would've had Watson-esque panel painting and T&R interior, and stock drivetrain.

Hope this helps.

12. 12gauge

12gauge

Chrome reverse wheels would be a nice addition.

13. r.l.r

r.l.r

14. 12gauge

12gauge

RLR,

Right on the money there! Needs an anti roll bar to straighten out the rear, but my oh my, that is bad ass. Love the 60's grocery getters!!!!

15. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

For the trim piece, might try DVAP, Desert Valley Auto Parts in Phoenix, Arizona. They are on the web, and even had the T.V. show for a while, I forget the shows name at the moment. They do ship. And, are you aware David Frieburger, of the "magazine", and the "Roadkill" show fame, also built a 63 2 door sedan; I believe it too was a Biscayne, could have been a Bel Air. Someone will know. Butch/56sedandelivery.

16. Falfasnightmare

Falfasnightmare

17. Gman0046

Gman0046

No two tone paint.

18. KustomRocket88

KustomRocket88