Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Model A banger Chevy adapter

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Kjell Elias, Dec 18, 2013.

1. So, i was wondering if anyone here had the drawings for the adapterplate that goes on a model A banger to fitt a 1926-28 chevy head? i know its out there somwhere.. and i want to try it.. i dont care that i could try with a new head of some sort. im not into that.. i like the old outdated shit..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. colinsmithson

colinsmithson

Try contacting Neal Jern (thunderbolt) in Redding CA
    he has that stuff

3. Take a look at the size of the ports in that head and you might want to reconsider.

Charlie Stephens

4. I know about the Thunderbolt, but i want to try make my own adapter :) i also now its not the best head to use, but i think it looks cool, and for me, that is one of the most important parts.. so if anywone have the drawings/blueprints for an adapter, i would be happy.. (I'm also considdering the Thunderbolt kit, but i want to see if i can make it myself..)

5. Good luck. I guess the worst that could happen is it doesn't work and you buy the kit. I have a 28 Chevy head sitting on my bench. I'm still not sure if I'm going that route or not. If I do it will be a Thunderbolt kit though, as that level of machine work is beyond my skills:)

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Dannerr likes this.
  6. i don't know where to get the drawings, but if i was going to do it i think i would start with both head gaskets [A and the 28 chevy] and use them as a pattern. you need them both anyway right?

7. thx! thats it right :) if it does not work.. then ill by the kit! :)

Good idea! :) ill try too look into that :)

Dannerr likes this.
  8. I looked thru my SOSS magazines and there are two articles on the Chevy head. One in Vol 4 #2 and Vol 8 #2 The first article a person made their own adapter using one inch steel plate and after drilling all holes milled it to 0.842 which is 6.5:1 compression ratio. The plate has four holes which match the bores in the block and the chevy head gasket. Because the head and block bore do not match they must be bored at an angle or stepped to match each other. The other article is by Neal Jern who talks about his kit and how it is stright forward but you will need to drill two holes in the block and one in the head. He also talks about using two piece or one piece push rods. Neal uses 356 alum for his kit. Hope this helps.

9. that does help, but where do those holes need to be drilled? :)
    and some pictures would be lovley? i have to get me a memberchip at SOSS... hehe