Register now to get rid of these ads!

Carb adjustment?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by solo_909, Dec 18, 2013.

1. solo_909

solo_909

Hey guys, so I noticed in the mornings while my flathead is cold in my 53 Merc that sometimes it's hard to start. My normal starting process is turn the key on let the electric fuel pump run and give three pumps on the gas pedal. What ends up happening is that the car will start and then stall. I'll do the same thing a couple more times until the motor will run.

If I try to push on the gas pedal before it stalls it will cause it to stall. Is this normal or can this be adjusted? Too much gas or too much air?

Any wisdom would be great!

Thanks,
    George

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
  2. No choke.

Oh, and it's "PEDAL"

"Peddle" means to sell something, usually in a derogatory way.

3. solo_909

solo_909

No choke? Explain please.

lol thanks ; )

4. Do you have a manual or mechanical choke?

If you don't have one that's your problem. HRP

5. Hotrod1932

Hotrod1932
    from Oregon

Wow...Think ya need a choke..

6. solo_909

solo_909

7. solo_909

solo_909

I'm running the original carb and I don't have a pull choke so I would assume it's mechanical.

8. How about a photo of the carburetor? HRP

9. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

It doesn't sound like you know what a choke is.

10. solo_909

solo_909

Here's a few photos of the carb.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1387428666.627243.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1387428677.011220.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1387428687.195618.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1387428696.363508.jpg

11. solo_909

solo_909

Posted.

12. solo_909

solo_909

Thanks for your valuable incite.

13. aonemarine

aonemarine
    from Delaware

Step on the gas pedal once and make sure those upper butterflies close. If not, check the linkage and make sure it moves freely. If that's good you might need to tighten up the choke stat a bit.

14. daily_driver

daily_driver

Definitely sounds like a choke issue. Too much air in a cold engine. That carb looks like the old holley "teapot" carbs. I not sure how the choke works on those, but I don't see a choke plate or pull off. It may be heat sourced, but I'm not sure. Try looking up a manual for that carb online, or may be someone on here has more experience with those than I do. Good luck.-DD

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

15. aonemarine

aonemarine
    from Delaware

They have a exhaust gas heated bi metal choke stat on the side of the intake. Think a lot of them got carboned up and quit working so people just spun the choke stat to keep them full open all the time....

16. daily_driver

daily_driver

And there you are! Some one far more knowledgeable than I on the matter. Ask and the HAMB shall provide!

Now you've got a good place to start to get that carb starting easier.-dd

17. solo_909

solo_909

Awesome, by doing that does it effect the way it runs once it's warmed up?

18. solo_909

solo_909

Yes sir! = )

19. aonemarine

aonemarine
    from Delaware

Once it warms up the choke should open up. Problem is, sometimes they don't want to.
    But that's another can of worms. Get it closing first, then we will see.

20. solo_909

solo_909

I'll mess with it tomorrow and see what happens. What is a common carb swap for the flathead?

21. daily_driver

daily_driver

Common carb swap for flatheads are a wide open topic. Two, three, even four carb manifolds are out there and plentiful. But, for a direct swap onto that manifold, you're probably going to want look at holley two barrels or ford motocraft carbs. I believe the manifold pattern is the same, but you'd want to use your existing gasket as reference.

I know my truck with the yblock had a manifold with the same bolt pattern and a motocraft bolted right up.-dd

22. aonemarine

aonemarine
    from Delaware

Oh good, LOL. I really hate that Carb you have on there now. That's a 4 bolt intake, there are some nice rochester carbs you can use with electric choke. Can't remember exact years, thinking 75 ish.
    Or slap a intake on it with a pair of 97's

23. Sorry,late getting back to the party.

I believe as another member pointed out the choke may be stuck wide open. HRP

24. If your carb has all the pieces, the choke may just be gummed up and need a little carb cleaner to free it up. Spray, work it back 'n forth a few times usually does it.

But definitely get a manual for your car, you will use it time and time again. Old Motors Manuals are a good place to start.

I would personally try to find a newer style carb to replace what you have. I also have no aversion to manual chokes, which is an anti-theft device in itself.

Bob

Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
  25. solo 909, the choke operation is is based on the bi-metalic coil expanding due to the introduction of hot air. the hot air tube runs through the center of the intake manifold. This tube , or the port in the maniold, rust and clog. The choke then, does not work. Make sure you have a free flowing hot air tube first. Take off the black cover and make sure it is not filled with carbon (bad) that may indicate a exhaust leak (bad) within the manifold hot air port. The coil is in the cap. Make sure the linkage is now working by moving the lever inside the housing. WD-40 the shaft and linkage until is is free moving, with no binding. Reassembly making sure the tab on the coil engages the arm. Rotate the cap until the choke closes. (it may not be near the index marks) Once closed continue to rotate it approx 1/2" so there is moderate pressure on the choke plates. Start it cold and see how long it takes for the choke to open, adjust accordingly (word of the week).

BTW, that carb kept my grandfather in busniess as a fire investigator....POS

26. solo_909

solo_909

Thanks for all the great info guys. I appreciate the help.

27. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

You're welcome! Sometimes, we need someone to point out the obvious.

28. Merc cruzer

Merc cruzer
    from Colorado

Solo 909:

What you have is 2 bbl Holley 1901 (the 4 bbl came on the Y block) that many like to call the "Towering inferno" due to it propensity to leak and catch fire. I myself have it on my 53' Merc (as that is what it came with) with no issues. I have attached a couple of pictures from my car. If you want to adjust the choke you simply back off the three screws around the black housing and turn it the way you want to achieve the necessary results (the instructions for leaner or richer are on the black housing)

manual for carb:

http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/manuals/Carbs/Holley/H1901-1952/MCarbHoll19011952.html

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
  29. solo_909

solo_909

Perfect!!!! Thanks so much.