Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 53 Ford Ranchwagon.. Woodie

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chaz, Jul 14, 2013.

1. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Yeah, We're thinking one piece sideglass. We hope that doesn't make it look like a delivery.

2. Toymont

Toymont
    from Montana

Now we just have to figure out where to relocate the gas filler tube.

3. I was wondering the same thing,I can't see relocating it like a passenger car but possibly the gas filler could be moved down on the body where the wood will be? HRP

4. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

My buddy Dana found this picture while cruising the web. Does anyone have any info on this Ranchwagon? Looks like a pretty heavy chop to me, but I'd like to know how much it actually is.
    [​IMG]

I had originally planned to do the wagon as more of a streetrod. Filled windows, big tires in the back and rolled pans rather than bumpers... heavy chop. Here's a model of the original idea. When the car sat for ten years I had time to re-evaluate where I was going with it. I'm glad I did.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
  5. unklgriz

unklgriz

Hey Chuck, Who does your sandblasting? We have some things that need to be done and Missoula isn't that far for us.

Larry

6. Definitely not the same car but this on is sliced about the same,,It's different but I'm not too crazy about the heavy chop. HRP

http://www.kustomrama.com/index.php?title=Chuck_DeWitt's_1952_Ford

7. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

I always had it done in the past by POWDERCOATING of MONTANA... Dave there always did an excellent job. But alas they have closed their doors...
    I used a new guy this time... Rich at Metalworks of Montana. He's a fellow rodder and did as nice a job as could be expected considering their blaster shoots coarse steel particles. The body is roughed up, but one pass with 100 grit on a DA makes everything primable.

HRP...I agree. That one hurts my eyes a bit.... In what world is that side trim an improvement?
    I gotta remember that it was the late 50's early 60's and any customization was considered OK.

8. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

We had the driver side inner and outer rear quarter on our agenda today. Here's Steve cutting out the rusted area of the inner panel. Seems like this crap never ends!

[​IMG]

We handmade a new inner panel and it fit perfectly.. Couldn't believe it ourselves...

[​IMG]

The outer panel was welded in, but as expected it caused a fair amount of warpage... We spent the rest of the day shrinking and stretching the panel into shape.

[​IMG]

Finally, while I was welding, Steve and Dana removed the inner fenderwells. We are going to re-do these to get more room for removing the rear tires now that the skirts are integral with the fenders. With a little luck and some bondo and primer, this rear quarter should be looking good next week.

[​IMG]

9. Chuck,,you Steve & Dana are doing one heck of a Job! HRP

10. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Its been a really cold week up here in Montana. The temps haven't been above zero in many days. When It's like this I don't spend my time working outdoors on the properties like ususal. I had time during the week to work on the Ranchwagon, and that was a real treat. First I hammered on the rear quarter to get it in shape for filling, and then I filled and smoothed it out. Here's the result. I'm crazy happy with the look.

[​IMG]
    Next I welded and smoothed the skirt onto the patch panel for the other side. I did the first side on the car. In retrospect, what a dumbass move that was. It's sooooo much easier on the bench.

[​IMG]

Then we went to work fitting the panels onto the rider side.

[​IMG]

Here's the new inner panel being welded in place. I figure when we are done the entire lowest foot of this vehicle as well as the floors will be new metal.

[​IMG]

Here's as far as we got today before the cutting wheel crapped out on us.... All in all ..a good week

[​IMG]

11. Chuck,I really like the clean look of the quarters ,,but I'm curious as to how you will remove the wheels. HRP

SanDiegoHighwayman likes this.
  12. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I have a dumb question......how will you ever change the back tires now? :confused: Are you gonna have to pick the rear end up head high and let the suspension drop? :confused:

13. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

I've devised a pin system (yet untested) that releases the rear of the springs from the frame.
    This allows the car to be raised way up till the wheels are totally exposed. They can then be removed. Its a harder process than usual, but if you ever removed one of the rears on your wagon, you know its a first rate hassle even without the skirts!

14. Sounds like you have a plan of attack,and again I really like the simplicity of the clean flowing looks,but allow me to play the devils advocate,,what happens when your out on the side of interstate 90 with a flat rear tire?

I guess whip out the AAA,,right?:D HRP

SanDiegoHighwayman likes this.
  15. chopd top

chopd top
    from Florida
    1. HAMB Relays

While I'm typically not a big fan of cruiser skirts, what you've done on the quarters is simply perfect!!! Smooth and clean, GREAT JOB!!!

16. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

We were down one worker today, but still got a fair amount completed.. [​IMG]

All the patch panels are now installed on the right rear quarter. Surplus supply makes a panel for behind the left door, but not the right... Go figure. so when things like this occur, you just have to manufacture your own. We did OK at that.

[​IMG]

We also took the time to re-do the right rocker panel and move it inboard just a bit so it would align perfectly with the closed door. It was probably acceptable, but it wasn't quite right, and I'd hate myself everytime I looked at it. The time to fix it was now. So we did.
    Not a lot new or exciting, but all the work we did today put us one day closer to completion.

17. Any progress is a step in the right direction,,,what's next? inquiring mides wanna know! :D HRP

18. Toymont

Toymont
    from Montana

WE have a couple of rust spots on the rear along with filling the old rear signal light holes, plus a new spare tire well.

Then I believe it is on to the top chop

19. As I recall Chuck was originally talking about a 1 1/2" chop..is that still what you guys are thinking? HRP

20. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

The chop looks like it'll be about an inch to an inch and a half. A lot of folks wouldn't bother chopping a car if it was going to be so slight, but I've learned from years of experience that when everyone else is screaming, a whisper gets all the attention.

21. I can appreciate the less is more approach! :D HRP

22. dwaynerz

dwaynerz

as far as the gas filler location goes, what about behind the tailight like a 56(?) chevy has. from looking at the skills you have displayed so far, that should be a walk in the park.

23. Toymont

Toymont
    from Montana

That is one of the options we have been talking about.

24. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Our last pile of rust is the spare tire well in the rear of the car. It didn't look too bad till we got it back from the sandblaster. It was then we realized it looked like a piece of swiss cheese.

[​IMG]

We decided to just cut out the whole thing and fabricate one of our own to replace it. Here's the gaping hole after we cut it out.

[​IMG]

Steve made a pattern out of posterboard to transfer onto the steel. Its not a perfect replica of the original, but it actually provides MORE room in the dropped tirewell...a nice benefit.

[​IMG]

Dana and Steve constructed a new tirewell while I was fixing a bit of rust on the rear pan. They did a real impressive job.

[​IMG]

Finally we placed it in the vehicle. A real nice fit. We didn't have time to get it welded in, but that'll be easy next week. The good news is we will be able to start the new year with a rust free ranchwagon. That, my friend, is a hell of an accomplishment for three old men who don't know what they're doing. The trick is to never give up!

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  25. Major accomplishment guys!

I remember how happy I was to roll the wagon outside and blast it and not see anymore rust.

The spare tire well looks great. HRP

26. Impressive work gentlemen.

27. Puddin Head

Puddin Head
    from Mason, Oh

I just love what you guys are doing. I watched as HRP did his and really loved it to. Does anyone know the link to his? Every weekend I look forward to what you have done. Great job. Thanks for sharing.

28. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

We had another stroke of luck this week in that I found a running 289 and a 3 speed automatic for a nice price (400 bucks for both) . Ill post pics once I get them cleaned up a bit.
    I'm thinking I can keep the existing rear end. I really don't even know what these came with. Its not an 8 inch or 9 inch because it has a bolt on plate on the rear. What were these things? a Dana? I'm not going for brute horsepower, so I'm thinking the stock rear should suffice.

29. Chuck,the rear axles were spicers,not the greatest but I'm sure it will hold up to a 289 unless you start drag racing! HRP

30. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Danny, my racing days are over. I cant hemorrhage money like that anymore!