Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Anybody put a straight 6 in there hot rod?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by chop job, Dec 17, 2013.

1. chop job

chop job
    from Wisconsin
    1. WISCONSON HAMBERS

Been thinking of using a chevy straight 6 in my 33 ford coupe anybody ever did this? If so I would love to see them and any other information that help me in this build. THANKS:confused::confused:

2. captmullette

captmullette

there is a thread on here,search 6 cyl drag cars

3. I would think you will have to do a lot of firewall surgery.

I considered a flathead six in my Deuce pickup because I had access to one,,I'm sure glad I didn't..the V8 made it run like a hot rod. HRP

4. Here's a pic off the 'net of Harry Warner's '34 Roadster. Kinda gives you an idea on the firewall work needed.

Attached Files:

5. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

I think there are more than a few. I'm building my 27 Modified with a big six Ford. The length is a challenge, but I can move my whole cab back.

You'll probably tend to find sixes like the one you're considering in smaller roadsters or fat fendered customs more than in something like a 33 coupe.

It's something that can certainly be done, but in the case of a 33 coupe, I'd have to agree with HRP and say you'll be happier with a V8.

6. Normbc9

Normbc9

Here are a few that are impressive.
    Normbc9

Attached Files:

7. 75 camaro 250 cid w t5

Attached Files:

8. None of the cars show here are 33 Fords,,you don't have the options of extending the wheelbase or the carnivorous room of a 50's Chevrolet. HRP

9. The firewall work on Harry Warner's '34 is not that much deeper than some "big block"
    aftermarket kits and since it is pretty narrow, it looks like it leaves a lot of foot room. I
    think the 12 port Chevy might even have given it a little go for it's time.

10. sasquatch12

sasquatch12

Google "Inliners International" lots of info and pics there.

11. Kinky6

Kinky6

Funny thing, I just went through and looked at all the picture galleries on "Inliners", and I couldn't find a single '33-'34 inline engine car. :confused: Under the History section they have that shot of the Warner car w/ the setback firewall.

But, way back about 20 years ago, when R&C re-started, Pat Ganahl did a feature on a bright orange '34 4-door Ford sedan w/ a GMC 270 in it, built by either Leroy or Ray Goulart. Both of them are known in California for their early '50's customs. Can't remember what year and month on that issue, but I remember that the engine did fit in the car w/o any major engineering.

Anybody else know of this one?

Later, Kinky6 :cool:

12. marshall

marshall
    from tacoma/wa.

Go for it

Attached Files:

13. chop job

chop job
    from Wisconsin
    1. WISCONSON HAMBERS

OK! GUYS I'll change my mind to a v6 chevy but I will not go with a v8. After all isn't that what hot rodding is all about, being different and doing what you want to. Thanks for all your help. Still it's all my decision :D

14. Fenders

Fenders

Go for it -- I've got a 1992 Chev 4.3 V6 in mine -- converted it from EFI to a 600 cfm Holley. Plenty of motor for a car that size.

15. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

You will have more off the shelf parts available with a V8. A V8 will be cheaper to build out because of this.

If you're planning on turning your build into a Prowler type street rod, you might want to check out the DOGFIGHT forum or one of the street rod forums.

EDIT:
    Though if you went for something like a Buick Fireball, an early GMC V6 or the BIIIIG one they used in schoolbusses you'd have something pretty unique.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
  16. better correct your spelling, the grammar police are out today

17. 31Apickup

31Apickup

I've got a Buick V-6 in my Model A, started the build in the late 70's in High School. The motor fits in the tight confines like it was made for it, moves along fine & is reliable. I would not build another with a V-6, you'd get just as good mileage with a 283, performance parts are expensive, everyone at the cars shows will look and turn there noses down at it. There is no WOW factor in going with a small "different" engine like that, talk about resell, it'll be a dog. There was a nicely built 34 back in Michigan for Sale for the longest time, asking the typical built 34 price and it was for sale forever due to that engine. There are a number of unique, traditional v-8's out there, that is what I'd use.

18. Just saying why put an engine where there isn't enough room without lots of modifications. A v/6 or a banger takes far less labor and possible butchering.

19. JT Apperson

JT Apperson
    from va

Try Inliners International. I've seen inline 6's run just about every where. Even Bonneville....JT

20. 6inarow

6inarow

Those things are way heavy, underpowered, almost obsolete, expensive and sort of cool. If I get a minute I will post up the bad qualities of those engines

21. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

How about going all Ford? Like a 2.3 4 cyl tons of goodies are available for them, or a 3.8 from a T-Bird Super Coupe with a T-5 or AOD.

22. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

Do you already have the six? What shape is the car in? What's the most economical best way to get what you want out of the car? Cause the bottom line is you want to build a car that you are happy with or you won't enjoy it whether it costs a million bucks or a buck fifty. For me it was a no-brainer 300 straight six Ford all the way!