Register now to get rid of these ads!

I need carburetor advice

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Dec 17, 2013.

1. aonemarine

aonemarine
    from Delaware

Yep, but he has fuel running over the intake, havent seen a hei that can pump fuel like that, not yet any ways....

2. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

Always very careful when drilling the balls out of your bowl ;D

3. aonemarine

aonemarine
    from Delaware

actually I was talking about plugging the lower idle air bleeds....;)

4. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Ooops, missed that.

I was troubleshooting this

5. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

:) I don't know what stuff is called past the basics yet, only got the book Saturday. BUT with my rebuild I made enough mistakes to figure out how to break stuff.

Not to hijack but what do you use to solder? I asked that question last week and was pointed towards my book. Would you be kind enough to answer on my thread?

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=850735

Back to our regular program sorry for the shameless plug.

6. aonemarine

aonemarine
    from Delaware

Man wish I had a carb in fron of me, but in the main body of the carb there are air bleeds near the base that on engines with low vaccum will need to be plugged to get fuel in at idle. I take and point the solder, stick it into the hole, then with something to back it (back end of drill bit) drive it home to plug off the hole. Your not really soldering, just plugging.
    Most of the ones I have done, this wasnt necessary on. but if you have a bastard of a engine with low manifold vaccum you may need to do this..
    Going to check out your thread now...

7. Sounds like all those years you worked on carburetors, you never really learned how to rub a Q-jet properly. The only rebuilt carbs that don't work properly, are the ones that weren't rebuilt properly.

8. Oops, wrong again, the late ones have many improvements over the old ones! Many have the bigger primary bore, they have adjustable NPT, they have idle bypass air, they have smaller floats, and bigger float chambers, electric chokes (should I stop or keep going)?

9. aonemarine

aonemarine
    from Delaware

LOL yeppers, or the stock emissions carb dropped onto a BBC with 6" of vac at idle and expected to work.

They can take some tinkering on modified engines, but well worth it for a street car.

10. What he said

11. aonemarine

aonemarine
    from Delaware

Yes but you can put the elect choke on the older ones with no problems.
    I dont like the ones with the fuel enrichment sol on them and have a pref to the older pontiac carbs for ease of modification, or 85 and older marine carbs.... so whats your thoughts? Im no guru but do like these carbs...

12. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

I know exactly what you mean now. That's why this place is awesome, Thank you!

HRP if I get good enough with these things I'll send you one.

13. Pretty good guess, mine as well. AFB's, like Q-jets have small floats, and there for less leverage to help assist float control. I believe you are suffering from incorrect float settings, or possibly a bad float that has a leak, and is taking in fuel, making it to heavy to stay shut when its supposed to. Along the same lines, maybe the rebuilder used the incorrect needle & seat assembly which would have the same affect. I don't vote much for the AFB, because the secondary air valve is weighted, instead of spring/vaccum dampner controlled like an AVS, or Q-jet, so g a nice transition to the secondaries when you "mat it", can take a bit more work. Other than that, it'll get the job done. Carburetors take a long, long time to simply "wear out", and I doubt yours is. I think you are the victim of a marginal rebuild/carb tuning ability.

14. Badrodder

Badrodder

Im running a 600 Quick Fuel Slayer with a Performer airgap RPM . on the 330 hp vortec crate . Works perfect from the first start . Good idle good performance 18 mpg in my Deuce . Didn't change anything except adjusting the float level and idle adjustments . Keep the fuel pressure in 5-8 lb range .

15. Automotive versions went computer control in 81, so for "later" ones, I prefer 75-79, and I stay away from the fuel enrichment solenoid versions also. I usually lean towards 67-72 models, because they look the part on Muscle cars street rods etc.,better than the later versions. The 73-74 are nice to. Funny you lean towards the Pontiac versions they have more little performance tweaks from the factory than any others. I really like the early 70's 800cfm Buick models as well. You can modify the earlier versions for an"idle air circuit easily if they don't already have one. Cliff Ruggles book is the best one to date.

16. aonemarine

aonemarine
    from Delaware

If you can find one, look at the 85 and older BBC marine carbs...damn close to the early pontiac except for the fuel inlet.
    Like I said, im no Guru, but have fount the early pontiac carbs work out the best for ease of modification, nothing funny here LOL
    Buick carbs?? dont think i have run into one yet...

17. I have two of those late, early looking Marine carbs in my inventory, nearly all the Buicks have the non 90 deg. Fuel inlet, like the Pontiacs.

18. aonemarine

aonemarine
    from Delaware

Hmm, sounds like somebody needs to write a updated book....
    Your elected :D I have beer to drink

19. Damn guys,there is no sense in beating up on Merlin,he just stated his opinion,,which it seems we all have one.

Lets just agree to disagree.

I didn't start this thread to create drama! HRP

20. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

I think you did it just to stir the pot.:D
    BTW, Summit sells rebuilt Q-jets also, but I dont remember if it will bolt to your manifold without an adapter.
    If you decide to junk the old one and go with new, I might take it off your hands for a small fee...I dont have a spare one of those to play with.:)
    Good luck !!

21. tiredford

tiredford
    from Mo.

No drama....are you kidding? So whats it going to be?

22. bobby_Socks

bobby_Socks
    from ǑǃƕǑ

the early Cadillac's also have the larger Q-Jet and work well. I also prefer the 67-72 when using Q-Jets.

23. Danny you have really opened a can of worms on this one. Opinions on carburetors are like navels....everybody's got one. :rolleyes:

I put a new then 625 cfm AFB on my Model A almost thirty years ago. I set the idle with a vacuum gauge, adjusted the idle speed and I ran it until last year when I finally put a kit in it. It has always done a good job for my application. I've run Holley's and others and the AFB is the best for me. I ran a 500 cfm Edelbrock on a 302 I used to have and it did a fine job. My two cents worth.

24. Wasn't trying to beat Merlin up, just wanted to tutor him a bit. He made a (statement) "one things for CERTAIN, Q U A D R A J U N K S S U C K!", about my favorite carburetor, this was not an opinion, which should have sounded something like, "I personally don't like Quadrajets, they are complicated, and in all my years of carb building I've never been able to figure them out". Its all good, I just get my feathers a little ruffled when someone makes an absolute statement about something they clearly don't understand. Your AFB can be easily remedied, or I can also help with a Q-jet. PM me if you like, Ric.

25. ..,one more thing, saying a carburetor "sucks", is actually a compliment! The engine (air pump) under the carb is doing the actual sucking, but since the carb is invovled with the process, its a good thing. :)

26. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

I have always heard that most carb problems are electrical in nature.....I had the same problem with almost the same set up as yours.....it was my pick up coil in the HEI...

27. ^^^ except when fuel is coming out of the carb.
    HRP's is oscillating between fine and F'ed up spewing fuel.

Not to long ago I had a Quadrajet that was operating perfectly for months. The next morning it was dumping fuel. Things can get screwy with carbs at any moment without warning. I wasn't inside of it before or after the incident and its sitting on the shelf waiting.

28. 53 COE

53 COE
    from PNW

This thread has me leaning towards sending my '70 Cad Rochester 4MV carb off to a good rebuilder, for use back on the COE. Any recommendations?

http://www.thecarbshop.com/ourquality.html

http://mikescarbshop.com/

Mike's Carb Shop above found in a Google search sounds like a good one to have it rebuilt, electric choke added and set on his dino..... Any other shops to consider?

What would "blueprinted" apply to in a carb rebuild?

:confused:

Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
  29. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

I may have missed it..I didnt see where fuel is coming out of the carb...

30. brokenspoke

brokenspoke