Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Fenderwell header pics

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lrs30, Sep 24, 2013.

1. CalGasser

CalGasser

Not quite sure what you're saying... did you run the baffles plus glass packs together? Also what's a "pryer"? I was going for simplicity is the reason for not running an exhaust system... more like lazy! :(

2. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I think he meant "prior".
    I've found the auger baffles are pretty restrictive, which is why they create heat from low flow. I do like the look of no exhaust system.

3. CalGasser

CalGasser

This is my first experience with them but can't complain with what I've seen so far though you and Swade may be correct. Current motor is not too radical naturally aspirated but when I go blown, I doubt those baffles will do much for the sound plus if they're as restrictive as both of you mentioned, it won't be good for the motor so will have to breakdown and build me an exhaust system. Thanks for clarifying "prior"... ;)

Kevin, the headers on your coupe look great when pulling wheelies! I think I'm going to nominate you for president! :D

4. Prior is the correct word, speaking of which, why didn't spell check..check into that ????
    I ran the glass pack first, then thought the auger was a better deal. I cut the glass pack in half, gutted it, then welded in the auger. The original paint on the glass pack quickly burned off, leading me to realize the auger was restrictive, holding heat and burning it off.

5. CalGasser

CalGasser

Thanks for the clarification Swade. Like I said in the above post, I may have to go with an exhaust system when going blown as you're probably right about the restriction thing. BTW, I don't believe this site has spell check built into it.

6. Because Pryer is a word - it refers to someone who "Pries" into everything. Nosy or curious :D

7. As soon as I seen the spelling I immediately thought of Aaron "The Hawk" Pryor ...lol I'm a two finger picker at best on the keyboard.

8. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I can type fast, or I can type good, just not fast and good! ;)

9. CalGasser

CalGasser

I can type fast and pretty good - thanks to the typing class I took in 9th grade because I didn't have a better elective class to take. Who would've known that one day this class would be one of the most important and useable classes I've taken - by accident.:eek: Guess one never knows... Okay, now back to headers... :p

10. midnightrider78

midnightrider78

I would like to see some more pics of how the exhaust is set up on tri-5s with fenderwell headers. I've been planning to run it outside the frame and dump in front of the rearend. I'm just not sure if I will be able to live with the exhaust being so visible.

11. Lets not forget about the high and mighty Headers guys come on old school remeber LOL

12. johnybsic

johnybsic
    from las vegas

Thats what I did, Wanted it simple as could be. But not hanging as low as alotta fenderwells you see out there. worked good.
    This is a 3'' system from headers back chambered mufflers. It breathes unapologetically, I love it

Attached Files:

13. rocketsled59

rocketsled59

I made this outta some hookers that might have been for an early bronco. I need to fab up an outlet for exhaust. I got some old ass thrush hush mufflers to run outside the frame connectors. If I ever get it done!! VHT paint.

Attached Files:

14. midnightrider78

midnightrider78

Do you have issues with the floorpan getting really hot since the exhaust is tucked up so close?

15. rocketsled59

rocketsled59

Here's a shot of one of them out of the car

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
  16. johnybsic

johnybsic
    from las vegas

It is warmer running along that section of floor. Not hot per-say. I considered making heat shelds once upon a time for the floor pan, But it hasn't been enough of an issue to mess with it. I did use peel-n-seal (think cheap-o dynamat) on the floorboard all over, so that probally helped. on the other hand i also have NO carpet or padding etc, So im sure it would be even less of an issue if i did.
    Just hasn't been an issue for me yet. But then again, in Vegas the whole F'in car is hot most of the time...
    I still wouldn't change it, I hate seeing a tube going straight into the side of the collector, the 90* direction change for the exhaust gasses... it erks me.
    I rarely run open exhaust, so i wanted it to run best in "normal mode" if you get my drift. not choked up untill its uncorked. For mostly drag car thats great. But lord knows whenever a quick car rolls up next to me at a stoplight i dont have time to drop the exhaust caps, and i just didn't want that excuse in my head.

17. midnightrider78

midnightrider78

That's the reason I asked about the heat. Mine will be carpeted and I was just concerned about damaging the carpeting.

18. johnybsic

johnybsic
    from las vegas

Oh no, i dont think it would ever get that hot. Due to the frame mounts you could only come within, lets say 2-3'' of the body at the closest. so its not touching or anything. This is 3" exhuast, if your running 2.5 it would be even better.
    I plan on padding & carpeting mine as well. I forsee no issues.

19. This is the right side of the Patriot Headers that I did for Woody's Hot Rodz, the guys with the new 57 Chevy Steel Body's. The White is ceramic Coating
    [​IMG]

20. powrshftr

powrshftr

That is some nice looking work Don.

Scott

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

21. powrshftr

powrshftr

Rocketsled59:
    That Falcon looks great!Thats very close to the look I'm shooting for with one of my projects.Black paint,rear steel wheels with slicks,lettering,etc.
    Nice job!

Scott

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

22. CalGasser

CalGasser

Just in case, you can install a couple layers of Dynamat or equivalent before carpeting over the exhaust area.

23. I took a set of crunched BB Dart fenderwell headers and cut them up, reshaped them to fit my Henry J. I called Summit and Jegs and tried to order a set, I told them 51 Henry, with a 68 440 set back 14 inches in a 70 Alston chassis and glass flip front, and want the ones that go up and over the upper frame support. They said no one makes them. I was stunned. Not quite equal length, but within an inch, and the longest tubes have the most bend, so backpressure is likely close to equal.

Attached Files:

24. Thanks Vic!

25. dblgun

dblgun

Nice use of the wedge motor in the Henry J

26. I used the 440 because my cuda got hit in the back and was awaiting repairs(still is) and that was what was available. Someone over on moparts.com sent me a pic they found of the car racing in the mid 70s, and lo and behold, right on the front fender it says 440 Dodge, so I guess it stays.

Attached Files:

27. nofear57

nofear57

28. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

^^^^^ must be tuned for low end..................

29. Brokenwrench Rod n Custom

Brokenwrench Rod n Custom
    from East TN.

Just found this thread and find it very interesting. I know there has been some discussion on "how they did it back then" inside the frame or outside the frame. Heres pics of my 40 ford coupe, and for the record these pipes have been on this coupe since 1965..... Im not sure of the brand, or if they are meant to fit the 40 or something else..... it almost looks the small block was installed with a kit of some kind.... but do they sound sweet.... when you launch this thing it sounds like Steve Falfa's 55 out on Paradise rd...... its like havein a wife that never ages!

Attached Files:

30. Brokenwrench Rod n Custom

Brokenwrench Rod n Custom
    from East TN.

heres a pic of the engine mounts and a couple of the car too.... thoughts and comments are welcome

Attached Files: