Register now to get rid of these ads!

EZ wire or Rebel wire.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 65fordguy, Dec 14, 2013.

1. 65fordguy

65fordguy

Hey guys, Im about to buy a wiring kit for a christmas present for my 65 f100.. the truck is not stock with a 5.0 ( 302 ) and aftermarket gauges and 1 wire distributor... will likely put the 1 wire alternator kit on from summit. so the $500 american auto wire kit would be too much fluff and $$$ ... the only thing stock would be the wipers, steering column (67 f250 4 speed floor shift column ) and switches I guess.

my current choices are EZ wire MINI 21 for $135 or Rebel 9+3 kit for $169

I don't even have a radio in this truck.. but I plan on putting a hidden system in as the truck was ordered with out a radio and the dash is flawless with no holes. I have electric fans ( which are on a switch right now and want it wired in correctly )
    I want to upgrade my lighting. and probably a AC and Heat under dash at some point. --- yeah i know.. streetroddy but with a 2 year old and the wife I gotta give somewhere.

Which do you guys recommend. Im leaning towards the EZ kit for the extra circuits and their good rep .. of course the $$ is good too. I know Rebel is american made. and that is a good selling point. some guys on oner forums still say EZ is the way to go.Thought Id run it by you guys first. Thanks.

2. I used Bob Miller's Rebel wiring to do a 1955 Chris Craft, a classic wooden boat, was great to work with. I'm ready to order another set up from Bob Miller again, for my 31 Model A PU, for the money, they're the best. Great customer service.

3. Rebel for sure.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

4. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I bought a Rebel kit of a HAMBER, yet to install it. Good price as well.

5. jetcycles

jetcycles

I have no experience with the EZ kit, and almost no experience re-wiring ANYTHING other than my Styleline so take this as an humble opinion at best. My Rebel Wire 9+3 kit was well made right here in USA and was purchased here on the HAMB. I had zero issues with the harness itself during my install, and all components appeared to be of good quality. Whenever i had any questions, Rebel Wire support answered the phone and helped me without laughing at my ignorance. . .even when i repeatedly asked for the "wiring for dummies" hotline. I'll be helping a buddy re-wire his C-10 in the coming months, and i see no reason not to use Rebel Wire a second time.

6. Primo

Primo

Another vote here for rebel wire. I did a f100 years back and it was a breeze, their technical support was top notch.

7. 5brown1

5brown1

I've used the EZ wire 21 circuit system on 2 vehicles now and am very happy with them. When I had some questions on the first install the tech help was fast and excellent. I think their instructions are good also.

8. duke460

duke460
    from Wisconsin

I have no experience with the EZ wire kit. Have used the American kit which was great, includes all the switches but was expensive. Just finished wiring my 47 Plymouth with the Rebel kit. Excellent kit, all the wires are grouped and bundled/tied where they connect. Ignition switch bundle, gauge bundle, engine bundle,etc. They make it pretty easy. Wire size is adequant and they use rhe thick insulation. I liked the modular fuse panel, makes it easy to expand. Have an efi engine with its own harness and it snaps together with the rebel panel.

9. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

Im putting a rebel9+3 in my 56 ford as we speak.pretty straightforward.rebel gets my vote.

10. Tcab

Tcab

No matter which kit you end up with read the instructions over a few times and look at the verious sections. This simple step can save you time and maybe some phone calls. It can get you going in the right direction.

11. luckystiff

luckystiff

out of those two Rebel all day long. i can offer you the Haywire E Series for a around $230. all the others i deal are gonna be more expensive as my choices are Haywire, American Autowire, Ron Francis. nicer and more features, but more expensive. i'm either doing an E Series or haywire 14 fuse deluxe in my 62 f100..ken....

12. chopcars

chopcars
    from new york

i have used EZ 3 times not a problem/

13. ev88f

ev88f

I used the rebel 9/3 and was very happy with it. Really well built kit

14. Frank32

Frank32

I used a EZ Wire on my truck, no problems. Many of my friends also use EZ wire kits.

15. Cerberus

Cerberus

I am going to give Rebel Wire a thumbs up. I installed their 9 +3 in my 1936 "Special Construction" roadster two years ago. The quality of the wire in the kit is excellent. The instructions are easy to follow. I had never wired an entire car before from scratch. Felt a bit intimidated with the challenge. I only had one hiccup, and called Bob at Rebel to find out the route for the exciter wire. He was very helpful and everything works great. :)

Attached Files:

16. Rebel Wire for sure, keep it in the HAMB family

17. gtowagon

gtowagon

Rebel wire 9+3 for me

18. harley rider

harley rider

I have used both, I think they are about the same .you will be happy with either.

19. goldtele

goldtele

Rebel all day long! About to install my 3rd one the customer support/tech help is the best!

20. Model T1

Model T1

Same here. I've instaled a few EZ Wire kits and my son, starting in his young teens, has installed more than we can remember. Never a problem.
    But we have only tried one other wiring kit, the brother of EZ Wire had/has his own kits. Was not satisfied with it.
    Can't say if anything else is better or worse. We buy EZ Wire kits because they sell at discounts at car shows here in Florida. Other than that the kits seem fine for the price and directions good enough if you follow them. Why pay more if these work?

21. metalman

metalman

I'm wiring my 40 today with a Rebel 9+3. I've used EZ before and both kits work well. I tend to lean to Rebel, I like the option of the 3 extra circuits to use as I need without having a bunch of extra circuits I don't. The other advantage of Rebel is they give plenty of wire, nothing is more frustrating then running short trying to reach the tail lights or something which was a issue with EZ.
    I have learned to cut all the wire ties and separate all the wires before I run them. That might be a little intimidating for a beginner but it sure makes a better looking job routing the wires. Not all (actually just a few) wires need to go to the fuse panel.

22. 4rod

4rod

I used rebel on both a 54f100 and a 50 sedan always helpful when i call...never used ez but rebel has been great

23. I'm sold on American Auto wire,,but I have used the Rebel kit and prefer it over EZ wire. HRP

24. Where can you get the EZ Mini 21 for $135?

25. FatFndr

FatFndr

I used the Rebel 9 + 3. Besides being easy I found their Tech Support to be excellent. I placed 3 calls, had an immediate answer on the first 2. Bob (I think that was his name) told me he would call back with an answer on the 3rd inquiry, which he did in 15 minutes (he was busy with another call).....had the answer right away. I like a good Tech Support when I'm in the middle of a project.

26. usmile4

usmile4

I've used Rebel for my 2 projects. Great product and even better support.

27. 65fordguy

65fordguy

I ordered a rebel 16 circuit.. They redid a couple circuits to make it fit my setup better... Very pleased so far with support.

Sent from my LG-D800 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

28. I use rebel in all my builds....10% off for alliance members from a HAMB vender.

29. RPM

RPM

EZ Wire for sure. We used to be a Rebel dealer, but we won't go there!

30. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Didn't like all the stupid jumper wires tied into the EZ wire kit when I first used one. Once I cut all the tie wraps and shook out the jumpers, it wasn't a bad kit.
    I would tend to want a kit that works with the column you'll be using, so can't say which of those two is best, as I prefer a column specific kit to ease the wiring of turn signals and such. I used a GM column in my Falcon, and bought a Speedway 20 ckt. GM kit for $160, and it was the easiest kit I've ever installed.