Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag cars in motion.......picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royalshifter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. rick finch

rick finch

I think these two guys have a "history"...:D

[​IMG]

2. rick finch

rick finch

3. rick finch

rick finch

4. rick finch

rick finch

Masters & Richter again...

[​IMG]

5. 51HenryJ

51HenryJ

Attached Files:

6. ^^^^ I can vouch for this photo, I saw it happen one night to a Dodge Dart at Dallas International. Pretty much shut the track down for the night.

7. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

Back to back incidents like this was why the manufacturer abruptly changed recommended procedure from neutral starts with the old push-button flites, and also why the original "J" convertor for increased static stall, was hustled into production.
    And there should be no need to discuss what action the sanctioning organization took with SEMA.

Mope engineers actually thought the aluminum case of a torque flite could handle the stress of the multiplied power of a torque convertor like a new process 4-speed did from a flywheel and clutch, behind a max wedge.......... Fact.
    Tom S. in Tn.

8. 296ardun

296ardun

[​IMG]

Melvin Heath of Oklahoma takes on Calvin Rice in the J.E. Riley Special from California, at the '56 Nationals. Heath would go on to win the meet.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Before there were slingshots...PVTA, really well finished car, think Chuck Griffith was the driver (?)

[​IMG]

Drifters Car Club at Paradise Mesa, they were from Redondo Beach...blown flathead on fuel.

[​IMG]

Bean Bandits at Paradise Mesa, the usual pose, with the trophy girl..these guys were really hard to beat.
    [​IMG]

Paradise Mesa, Bean Bandits nearest, think that is Dode Martin of later Dragmaster fame in the far lane...RIP to both drivers, great competitors.

[​IMG]

ex-554 after it went back east

[​IMG]

Big at San Gabriel, maybe '63?
    [​IMG]

Monkey Motion at Fontana, probably Ron Mckibben driving...Gil Hayward build it next to the stall we used to build our own fuel dragster on North Fair Oaks in Pasadena, CA, taught me a lot about how to make fuel motors run, as did Mckibben.

OK, some of these have probably been posted before, and they are all copied from Classic Dragsters, http://www.classicdragsters.com/v/Others/?g2_page=29
    Thanks to them for letting us copy them (or at least I hope they are letting us copy them!!!)

9. 1320 Fan

1320 Fan

10. I believe this is Ed Taylor's ET Auto Parts A/comp roadster. The blown fuel Olds held it's own with the T/F cars in the mid 60's.

[​IMG]

11. 296ardun

296ardun

Dean, you are right, here is another picture of it from Don Ewald's site; caption is Merick Chertcoh - "Ed Taylors Olds" - A/FR - Fontana, 1965
    Photo by Dave

[​IMG]

12. powrshftr

powrshftr

Merek is actually a HAMBer,and I believe that's the car he refers to as the "Isky Roadster",as I believe Ed Iskenderian provided a lot of tech input and parts for that one.
    That's the best picture Ive seen of it yet!

Scott

Posted using two Dixie cups and a medium length piece of string.

13. Yes, Merek is a HAMBER. If that's how Ewald has his name spelled, it's wrong. The proper spelling is Chertkow. He has some interesting stories to tell about driving Ed's roadster. I watched him kick some serious top fuel butt at Pomona in that car. Merek is living in Utah now, and has a bad ass 32 coupe with a blown SBC that looks and sounds more like a fuel altered than a street rod.

14. powrshftr

powrshftr

He's also one hell of a good guy,and a damn sharp builder/tuner of supercharged engines and mechanical fuel injection systems....I owe him BIG TIME for his advice and assistance throughout my research for my blown Hemi buildup:)

Scott

Posted using two Dixie cups and a medium length piece of string.

15. Ohiovette

Ohiovette

Here is a strange one.
    A brand new altered ????
    Car fell off the trailer so they cut off the top and changed classes .
    Plus a few others.

Attached Files:

16. storm king

storm king

You on the Dover site, Ohiovette? I knew I guy from Ohio, that showed up in Cornwall N.Y. and claimed he had the "fastest fuelie 'Vette east of the Mississippi", and wanted to run our max wedge for a $100 on the street. Dad told him, no, we don't race on the street, but we'd run for titles on the national record of each car at the track. All of a sudden the 'Vette wasn't so quick, and it turned out the 'Vette's nat'l record was lower than our max wedge. Anyway, that was a long time ago. GREAT picture of Bocanfuso Brother's poor max wedge lightweight Plymouth. You're correct, someone told them Lebanon raced Saturday nights (they did, but the stock car track, not the drags), and they flipped the trailer on some old country road trying to get there. That's not only the only photo I've ever seen of it after the accident, it is just plain a great photo!

17. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Also that's a picture of my MG that I've never seen. Before the newspaper box scoops.

Pat

18. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

I remember the Bocanfuso Brother's well they owned a gas station in Westport, Connecticut on the Post Road back in the 60's.

It's funny I never remembered seeing it without a roof but maybe they did not run the car much after it rolled off the trailer.

Jimbo

19. Ref: 296Ardun photo of Bean Bandits and Dode Martin...
    Dode is alive and well and still playing with a Dragmaster Dart, now flathead powered.
    Follow everything Dragmaster on Facebook @ Friends & Family of Dragmaster Company.

20. 296ardun

296ardun

Thanks, Rich, don't know why I thought he had passed, knew Jim Nelson did, heard that Dode was in pretty bad health, so this is good news!

Thanks for the correction!

21. aafa729

aafa729

Bruce Woodcock was the driver of the Raker's Top Fuel Car who was fatally injured at San Gabe. He previously drove the Raker's Fiat Competition Coupe.

22. 296ardun

296ardun

I saw the crash, terrible. He was racing Don Yates in the spectator side, car left the track and got in the dirt, Bruce tried to drive it back and lost control, went end over end until the car hit a searchlight that provided track lighting. Never forgot it...Bruce was a great driver, sad loss, think he was just 22 at the time, lived in Long Beach.

23. tire wiper

tire wiper

"I think you may have your cars mixed up. The Mangler never crashed. When Buzz and company quit they gave the car back to Jack Wayre. Eddie Flourney ended up with the car." - wavemaker

"I believe Pete Eastwood has the Mangler car (now), pieces of the Honda of Wilmington car, and the K & G car. Just not all the $$$$ it takes to finish them. Pete's done the Mondello & Matsubara Fiat, the John Wiebe SPE red, white, and blue car. So they should be some first class cars." - Manny Maldonado

24. Dino the weirdo

Dino the weirdo

NICE SHOTS ...Will contact you to see If you have any more! Dino

25. 296ardun

296ardun

You may be right, it was a long time ago, but the car I saw tumbling looked like this:

[​IMG]

and not full bodies like the Honda of Wilmington car...but if Pete Eastwood does have the Mangler, then clearly I remembered it wrong!

26. AHotRod

AHotRod

I'm looking to identify this Altered Class Coupe.

Body Make and Year?

Anyone know who built it?

How about what state it may have been from?

Attached Files:

27. Glenn Cupit

Glenn Cupit

'33-'34 Plymouth?

28. Ohiovette

Ohiovette

I have emailed Dino and I have a lot of old DDS slides. Not the best quality but still good history.
    I plan to scan them and provide them to him. It is just a slooow process.
    I lived in Norwalk, CT and then moved to Germantown, Ohio in 1973.
    I always like the Bocanfuso picture, one of a kind.