Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Fenderwell header pics

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lrs30, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Do any of you small block chevy guys run angle plugs ? I'm eyeing up a set of heads but not sure if the angle plug thing will work out or not.

2. powrshftr

powrshftr

I dunno,but I saw a pretty good picture of a damn near sawed in half sbc in Car Craft mag the other day Phil....:D

Scott

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I did run angle plug aluminum heads on my 327 Phil, but had clearance problems. My Austin is so tight between frame rails and the engine, and the engine sits so low in the frame that the plugs are close. I could just barely get a wrench on the plugs when I went to angle plug heads, and it was a pain. I ended up taking them off and selling them, then going back to my old 2.02/1.60 camel hump straight plug heads.
    The angle plug heads don't just angle in, they also angled down, and that created the clearance issue.

4. The Doug's fenderwell headers for Nova #D329 and Tri 5 Chevy's #D355 will both work with Angle Plug heads

5. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

The headers on my dart, after unwrapping them are in need of a re-paint. I will post pics of before and after and will let you know how well they will hold up after the paint job

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  6. I was surprised to see it myself..ha ha

7. jimmy1931

jimmy1931

I have aluminum angle plugs on my '57 with Hooker headers. No problem with clearance from top or bottom, but with no inner fenders a couple of plugs are easier from bottom.

8. CalGasser

CalGasser

I extended my collector to under the car and run a 12" spiral baffle in it which is removable for racing. It don't have an exhaust system so if you get pulled over, you may get pinged (ask me how I know):mad:. It's pretty quiet with a normally aspirated engine but don't know how loud it'll be when I switch to blown...:eek:

Attached Files:

9. powrshftr

powrshftr

Ok Vic,
    That photo just blew me away......for years your Bad News Willys has been one of my favorite cars ever,we actually hung a poster of it in my Dad's shop for inspiration while he was building his.:)

But not only do you have the Willys and the very badass '55 Chevy,you also built a Henry J!?!?
    How did I miss the build thread on that car...?It looks absolutely KILLER!

Scott

Posted using two Dixie cups and a medium length piece of string.

10. CalGasser

CalGasser

Thanks Scott for the compliments! Hate to say it but why you didn't see a build thread is because I bought the car from a friend who had just about finished building it and decided to sell it. I redid a bunch of things to make it run right and added my own touches. It was one of those deals that I couldn't afford not to buy. Vic

11. powrshftr

powrshftr

Vic,
    Congratulations on your Henry J score!
    As big a fan as you are of the Gas class cars,you've probably been lusting after one for quite a while.....I know I have!

This might be straying from the initial topic a bit,but could you post up a bunch of pics?
    If that seems too close to hijacking the thread could you pm me some more info on the car?Id love to hear more about that one.

Scott

12. CalGasser

CalGasser

Scott, here're a couple shots of the headers with ultra long collectors. These headers are built by Little People Cars in Ventura, CA. Drive train consists of a Dart 434" SBC with Edelbrock XRam. Unique feature is the B&M clutch Turbo 400 trans from the early 70's - a hoot to drive on the street! This car was featured in the Nov. '12 Street Rodder magazine so if you can find a copy, it'll give more info (or I can PM you so not to hijack this thread) along with a bunch of other Gassers. Windows are a bit too dark so constantly watching for cops when on the street...:( Enjoy, Vic

Attached Files:

13. Sinister Stude

Attached Files:

14. Ole Sinister

Attached Files:

15. Best paint for headers bar NONE (as long as ya want black) is the paint from John Deere dealerships I tink its called muffler black...

16. powrshftr

powrshftr

I've heard that one before,but never first hand.
    Thanks for confirming that.Its way cheaper than ceramic coating,and you can touch it up at home:)

Scott

17. powrshftr

powrshftr

Vic,
    That is a damn nice looking car,and with that drivetrain,I bet it is one nasty little bastard when you get heavy on the throttle!:)
    Glad you like te Clutch Turbo.Im putting an old B&M HydroStick in my model A coupe Altered car....I can hardly wait!

Scott

18. Angle plugs here

19. CalGasser

CalGasser

Hey RL, ever get your Lenco? Got my TKO600 from Liberty's and getting ready to replace the blown T5 in my 55 now that my Willys is up again.

Yes it's a pretty nice running machine...:rolleyes: The fun part is shifting from 1st to 2nd - it snaps your head back chirping the tires being it don't have a torque converter to absorb the impact. :cool: Your hydro will be a nice nostalgic and conversational piece in your ride. Vic

20. No Vic,couldnt sell TKO so mebbe its just as well...I can use the money I was gonna spend on the Lenco for other bills.....Dang it....Glad you got yer TKO I am sure you will love it! Let me know either way!!! R~R

21. Yer welcome!!!

22. powrshftr

powrshftr

I bet those long collectors you guys are
    running really let those motors make some big power.
    What were you guys running before,and what differences did you notice in power?

Scott

23. CalGasser

CalGasser

On my 55, the reason I extended the collectors to under the car is so I'd be able to stuff a 12" baffle in it without building an exhaust system. You can see the baffle on the rear shot of the 55 in the collector. On the Henry J, it came like that. How you determine what length collector you want is to run a long collector and paint it. Do full throttle runs and see where the paint burns up to. Anything beyond that is excessive so you can cut the excess off after the burn mark. Never had shorter collectors to compare to so can't really give you a comparison. Vic

24. CalGasser

CalGasser

Soon as I get her driving, I'll let you know my thoughts. Thanks for the tip on Liberty's Gears RL! BTW, love your headers! Vic

25. I have always painted mine with VHT header paint and just touch up as needed.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  26. Are those the Speedway auger style baffles ?

27. CalGasser

CalGasser

They're not from Speedway but Turbo Specialties. They look like an auger so probably the same thing.

28. kuhn1941

kuhn1941

51 chevy truck mustang 2 front suspension . Hooker fenderwell headers , heated then tweaked after installed . Then the exhaust pipe and flowmaster mufflers on outside of frame . A clean look.

Attached Files:

29. I found those to be restrictive enough to burn the paint off. I had a set of glass packs that I thought would be better with those augers inside instead of the glass and chambered pipe. Once back on the car it ended up burning all the paint right off the glass packs, which of course pryer had no problems with that. Just something to think about....