Register now to get rid of these ads!

New idea for this springs Jalopy Showdown

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scarylarry, Dec 14, 2013.

1. scarylarry

scarylarry

Well, I felt like it was time to try something different with track time at the Showdown this spring soooooo...we are stepping up to get insurance to run a REAL track event. What I an planning is to run groups of vintage race cars, then hot rods. Logistically it is sort of a nightmare but it should be interesting! Here's the plan so far, I'm trying to get groups of 6 or 8 vintage sprint cars, midgets, & stock cars. Josh Shaw has already committed 3 sprint cars, thanks buddy! We will have to know who is coming instead of making it open for any cars to show up because of space. After the race cars we will then do a group of YOUR vintage roadsters, then coupes. It's a LOT different with multiple cars on the track! Now here is the downside 1. We will not be able to park car/let people between the fences down the backstretch. We are already planning to save a very big area right across the bridge in the camping area for overflow show cars. 2. Crossing the track between cars running will be less frequent then during past shows 3. the race cars will have to enter & exit the track at the first turn shop building exit to their parking area in the field on the adjoining property. The show roadsters & coupes will be preselected & called to the track from the infield 4. It may make things a lot dustier 5. We may or may not do the mud hole portion of the track time, which leads to #6 6. Later model sedans & not so racey looking cars may not get on the track this year and finally #7. if it rains a bunch, we are back to the normal deal anyway because if it's too muddy we cant run the race cars!
    More to follow as we guess our way through it.

2. nsh57

nsh57

More dirt, more dust, and a REAL track event? Sign me up!!!
    Larry, I'm impressed how you keep pushing this event into different levels of cool. I can't wait for more details. I wish I was closer to help with this, because you really have some good ideas.

3. Eagerly awaiting May.:)

4. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I wonder how many guys would risk their car, hoping that the guys around them had some skill. Good luck with the venture. With the right people, it could be a good time.

5. scarylarry

scarylarry

I would think the race cars are going to run for real...well there is still a 40mph limit at Latimore. The hot rod guys will be instructed ahead of time that it obviously is NOT a race & to drive accordingly. We've had multiple cars on the track before for parade laps...which always seem to have a way of speeding up! so I think/hope everyone knows this will be a very controlled deal. Anyone that knows how I run things know that NOTHING about the show is ever a rockerbilly free for all!

6. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

I like the idea. I've been to the Showdown 6 or 7 times and it's one of my favorite events, but change is good, and this keeps it fresh. I'm looking forward to it. Thanks for all your efforts!

7. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

larry, you going to have to now worry about teching cars for safety if you allow them to compete. things can get crazy by themselves let alone several cars together. chance of roll over greatly increases, especially for the average joe out there pushing their limits.

8. scarylarry

scarylarry

MY #1 concern has always been safety which is why I can get a little grumpy with people not wanting to play within the program! There is just so much going on that day & it all comes back to me. Trust me, Zach & Jer have been out there with the race cars & it can be done. The track guys from EMMR will be helping us that day, which means we have a guy in the tower running the whole deal, also a guy in each corner with headphones & a fire extinguisher. I will be at/on the track so if I see something I dont like 6 red flags will go up & everyone WILL stop & the potential situation dealt with before it gets ugly. If I didn't think everyone could handle it I wouldn't do it. Tech will be simple, more later. Trust me "racing" will be minimum, more of a multi car photo op. We've had multiple cars on the track before with good results. I really guess the point is that there is no "competing".

9. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Sounds great! I have full confidence that Larry and the crew will keep things SAFE and FUN! I have wanted to attend this show for years!! We can't wait. To see and HEAR a true alcohol injected direct drive Vintage Non Cage Sprint car sling a little dirt is something few ever get to experience. Not sure which 3 cars of the batch we'll bring just yet, but they will be chosen out of these and a couple others:

Thanks!

Joshua Shaw

Attached Files:

10. Can't wait. It's gonna' be special.

11. nsh57

nsh57

Larry,
    You might send an invite to the AARA (antique auto racing assn.) guys before the winter is over. They don't race as a group anymore, but a few of them might make the trip over. I think they're just what you're looking for as an exhibition. http://www.antiqueautoracing.com/index.html

12. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

You guys in the western part of the country don't know what you are missing with Eastern dirt trackers in PA.

Ago

13. HRBOB34

HRBOB34

Sounds like a great idea!
    Count us in from Connecticut!
    Love vintage racing!

14. sololobo

sololobo

very exciting idea, not to mention a brave one. ~sololobo~

15. x-2 started in the early sixties traveling Pa with my Dad and Uncle watching these wheeled gladiators. Josh Shaw can't wait to see you run your cars. This will be the icing on the cake for the showdown. Larry Great Idea... Good Luck

16. joemarsicano

joemarsicano
    from Palmyra PA

17. Last year was my first chance to be at the Showdown and I had a great time. I am looking forward to this years and thanks Larry for keeping things interesting.

18. wagoon78

wagoon78
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looking forward to it. Sounds fun.

19. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

And... the event dates are? Gary

20. gas pumper

gas pumper

I can behave. I promise. :)
    I missed the last couple of showdowns because of other racing commitments.
    I know a guy with a V8-60 midget, maybe we can get that running for this.

Frank

21. lorodz

lorodz

Im definitely down to come out again. I had. Awsome time that day..let me know if I can join in the festivities. .and the dates would be awsome ...

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

22. scarylarry

scarylarry

The date is ALWAYS the third Saturday in May. May 17th

23. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

All of scarylarry's events are MANDATORY attendance orgies of coolness. I'm confident he will find the right balance of control and utterlyouttacontrol for the racing, but if I were Larry I would still have an air ticket to Brazil and my life savings in a suitcase, just in case the rockabillies DO manage to gnaw through the restraints!!
    I wouldn't miss this for anything.

scarylarry likes this.
  24. Bruce, Your eloquence always leaves me yearning for more.:D

25. We dont need no stinking rain date!!

scarylarry likes this.
  26. newredporch

newredporch
    from pittsburgh

Thanks for keeping things fresh, Larry. I was happy with last year but I am always up for some change. We will see you there! Awesome event.

27. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

This event is still on my growing bucket list. For 2014 it is the same weekend as the Steel in Motion event which is closer to home. Love a good road trip, and hate to miss this one.......

28. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Bringing this back to the top for updates and more input..............

Will miss getting out on the track myself, but I applaud your drive to make and keep this the ultimate standout event that it is!

[​IMG]

29. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

Can't wait. I've missed the last two years. Hopefully that will not happen again.

30. That sounds like an awesome idea! I can't wait!!! I plan on having my roadster there and although I doubt it would make the cut to take part, is there anything specific as far as safety you want cars to have. I've talked to Zach about it and he mentioned double throttle return springs, how about anything else? I'd love to take part if you have space. The car will be safe and everything as far as the steering and stopping will work like new