Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Who will insure my '29?!?!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 392Roadster, Dec 11, 2013.

1. 392Roadster

392Roadster
    from Long Beach

OK guys, Having a problem getting insurance for my '29 Tudor. Nobody want's to insure a car that will not be stored IN the garage at all times when not in use. They also don't like the fact that I will be driving it more than 5,000 per year. WTH!!! I have checked with Hagarty, AAA, Farmers, State Farm. Who do you guys use???
    Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Deuce Lover

Deuce Lover

Try Grundy in PA.

3. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

You might not tell them that it isn't always going to be in a garage, and if that is the case make sure that it has some kind of protection; which could be barricaded in the driveway, backyard or somewhere that it couldn't easily be stolen, striped or messed with.

I'm more worried that I would be driving somewhere and someone hit my car or stole it while at the store. When it is at home, I should be able to take care of it there.

4. American Collectors insure my '29, they've been great! Thats my '29 3rd from left at free BBQ they threw at a local rod and custom sales store;)

Attached Files:

• gif.gif
      gif.gif
      File size:
      48.9 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  5. dapirate

dapirate
    from Alpharetta

I 2nd American Collectors!!!

6. squirrel

squirrel

I use Farmers, for liability insurance. No problem with storage location, or mileage. The downside is that I'm on my own if it gets stolen or damaged.

7. Grundy, unlimited mileage as long as it's not an everyday driver but must be kept in locked garage.

8. 3Deuce40

3Deuce40
    from Colorado

CHROME from American National Insurance.

9. castirondude

castirondude

I had a similar problem with my 28 dodge and 21st century. They originally insured it just fine, then at my renewal it wasn't there. Turned out they had dropped it without even telling me! After some haggling they did reinstate it for the period they originally had committed to but still would not renew. Their loss i had had 5-6 cars insured with them for the last 12 years with no claim other than a no-fault uninsured motorist claim.

After some power shopping i ended up with the Hartford and moved all my cars with them. They had no problem with the 28 and it was cheap. I also insured my 59 edsel with them. Their computer didn't know Edsel as a make but they fixed it on the spot which was impressive. Most companies, if the computer says no, it's no.

I have Progressive for my big trucks. Last time i quoted their car insurance they were more expensive, but i would give them a call nonetheless.

Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE smartphone

10. castirondude

castirondude

I should add that the hartford just insures it like a regular car, if you want to drive it 20k miles a year to work or do pizza delivery that's all fine. But of course you don't get the stated value insurance. They will determine your compensation after there is a loss, which can be a little scary after you've worked on the car for 3 years. Still for me i want to drive the car whenever and wherever i please so for me being able to really use it is more important than the small chance of a major loss.

11. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

Like squirrel said if you mention you will be storing outside they most likely wont cover.Thats one of the first things my agent asked me.I have state farm and they wouldn't insure as a classic as its still in primer so its insured as a daily driver and has unlimited mileage.Cost is close to the same.

12. Mercchev

Mercchev

Grundy has been very good to me, several cars in all stages of completion and use. x15 years.

13. Model-A-Bomb

Model-A-Bomb
    from Orlando,FL

I use hagerty, just tell them what they want to hear

14. MBog

MBog

Are ya a wealthy man? Try ICBC...hahaha

15. Same here for my '29

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

16. COOP

COOP

I have a '29 roadster also. Have Hagerty based in Michigan. Been with them for 7 years. Just tell 'em what ya want to insure it for and send in a couple of snapshots. Nice people and decent prices

17. cru jones

cru jones
    from Las Vegas

I use American National Pacific and Casualty(ANPAC) on my 3 driver's('53,'57 & '60) for the last 4 years. I haven't had to make a claim yet, so I'm not sure how difficult they're to deal with on the claims side of a classic car. If anybody has had problems with them please speak up so I can be informed too.

18. PushnFords

PushnFords

Only bad thing is if it gets damaged when not stored or used properly they can deny the claim. I was informed by them that "running errands" on the weekend in my car was not allowed. First time I'd heard that....

19. castirondude

castirondude

Looks like with the hartford i'm paying about $140 per 6mo for 600k liability and 300k uninsured motorist coverage.

Insurance remains an interesting business. For instance liability on my F350 crew cab dually is $26 but the same coverage on my crown vic is $120.

20. squirrel

squirrel

My old trucks are about $40 each for 6 months liability insurance. 55 is more, but I think it's the "primary" vehicle.

21. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I'd ask advice from people who have had to file a claim. ALL insurance is good, until you need them.

As for running errands, I'm ALWAYS headed to a parade, the auto parts store, club meeting or whatever will calm their nerves. As in most cases, keeping your mouth shut can yield great results.

22. castirondude

castirondude

This is true. At the same time you often can't judge based on internet reviews because when 1000 people are satisfied you don't hear from them and when 1 is pissed he will plaster it all over every review website known to man.

23. '41 Chev

'41 Chev

FWIW, like castirondude, I just add the "collector" to my regular policy (high liability, etc.) and use a "Face value" price for value. That way, I can use it when ever I want with no excuse (lie) for where I'm going. 'Been doing this for almost 50 years. Sure, it costs a bit more but I don't run the risk of having to lie or of being told the use/trip isn't covered by the terms of the policy.

24. greyone

greyone

I just got a policy from "Classic Underwriters", they bent over backwards to get me insured in time for Turkey Rod Run. New company, they try harder!

25. I got t-boned about a month and a half after American Collectors insured the car. Luckily he hit me in the rr wheel, tweaked the 3rd member(8.8). Insurer got together with the shop that replaced it and other bent stuff and in less than two weeks I was on the road again and didn't hesitate or raise my rates! One thing, be honest about the cars worth, setting a ridiculous replacement price only screws it up for the rest of us.