Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lowered rear in '53 chevy sedan question?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dan, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Dan

Dan

Our '53 sedan has a nova rear as we are also converting to a T5 so an open rear seems like the logical choice...
    I have the proper width (1 3/4") blocks as we are still using the original leaves, I have two stacked up on each side for a total of 3", when I center the wheel in the opening it moves the perch way to the back and hanging quite a bit off the block. Has anyone else encountered this or am I doing way out of whack here? The block themselves are hollow and only solid in the center where the current spring bolt hole is located (imagine looking straight down on a cinder block, looks very similar. I suppose I could fill the forward hollow section of the block so I can drill a new locating hole??
    Any ideas?? thanks-

Attached Files:

2. grynder

grynder

I built custom blocks to to properly locate and support the rear in mine. It looks like you need to do the same. I went to my local metal store and bought solid aluminum blocks. Then drilled holes for the bottom pin and used cutoff grade 8 bolts for the top pin.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. This makes sense. HRP

4. 1955IHC

1955IHC

I had to do the same on my fathers 54.

Sent via Illinois Bell Telephone Company's Car Radiotelephone

5. dan31

dan31

Not the right ones to use,you need the solid ones with the proper pin hole location which will center the rear tire in the wheel well. Also if you stack them you have to weld them together. Can't remember where I got mine but a quick internet search should find them.

6. 1955IHC

1955IHC

No not square tubing!:eek::eek: Maybe we should have been more clear the ones I made were a solid chunk of aluminum.

Sent via Illinois Bell Telephone Company's Car Radiotelephone

7. grynder

grynder

Exactly!!! My post says solid aluminum blocks as well!