Register now to get rid of these ads!

What the hell is this and how do I use it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31Vicky with a hemi, Aug 20, 2013.

1. I can find next to nothing on this

Edit - I can only get 1 pic per post to attach, but there are 4 pics

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  2. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

A, picture or 2 of the item would be nice!!

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ok what is that tag on?

Anyhow they are still in business making industrial equipment from the looks of things.
    http://www.bmbag.ch/cms/front_content.php

It looks like their equipment is primarily aimed at plants that make laminated sheet goods from materials that is shipped to them on big rolls.

4. Machine is roughly 6' x 6'

Attached Files:

5. One pic per post is all my phone will do :)
    You guys are quick

Attached Files:

6. basically,,they make machinery for the labeling industry.

Bachofen + Meier provides complete engineering, manufacturing and turnkey installations from a single source where paper, board, aluminum foil or plastic film need to be coated, laminated, lacquered or waxed. More than 1,000 machines are now in operation around the world. HRP

7. Pretty sure it's like a Pull max machine.
    The bars in the background go into the round receivers on the head, they are just about 5' long and hernia heavy.

Attached Files:

8. This thing is pretty old - at least 40 yrs but probably closer to 60.
    What did they make the machines for back in the day?
    There are some dies with it too for forming steps, some that look like Small Louver dies, some hole punches, and a bunch of shit that looks like it belongs to something else.

Guy I got it from inherited it and said he thought it was a planishing hammer.

9. No other markings on it except a small tag that says 499. Looks like that could have been for implant maintenance ID.

10. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Its a duplicator for marking nameplates. the yellow arm with a piece of angle attached that is in the back of the throat holds a template or the actual nameplate. sliding the workpiece around precisely means the numbers and letters line up all straight and pretty. very Swiss like.

is the C frame solid or hollow? it might only be good for very light gauge work.

11. pitman

pitman

In looking, that is one heavy frame!

12. The frame is 6 inches wide thru-out.
    It is hollow but rings like a 3/4" plate.
    The throat is 44" deep.
    The back of the throat is 28"
    Just a tad over 6 feet from front to back including the levers.

It's not solid but I'd say that it is quite substantial.

13. I just read that "pioneer" sold these bachofen made machines under the pioneer name

14. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

Well its a form of Nibbler..Adapt some tooling and go to town!!

15. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

This is my 1940's Libert. I made a lower holder for tooling and I use it for a bunch of stuff..

Attached Files:

16. Cool!

Now I need some Pullmax type tech info

17. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Sheck out some of the metalshaping sites like metalshapers.org for PullMax info. Maybe this thing uses the same sized tooling as a PullMax or Cambell or Trump?

18. stimpy

stimpy

I was going to say metal former or plamishing hammer , but someone beat me to it .

19. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

If you can contact Stan Fulton in Ashland IL, he can probably hook you up on anything you will need or need to know about a machine like that. sorry I don't have his number.

20. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

Jump on the metalmeet forum they have their own section on nibbler type machines

21. I will get over to metal meet, in the meantime,

How about a good DVD series ?

How about a model ID # for google search terms ?

How about a source for operators/owners manual ?

Lets say I were to contact Bachofen, I'd like to say something like - "I have a (very important information that's lacking), I would like some more info on this."

Anyone have some intel to fill in the blank?

This has been shoved in the corner for about a year, and we unburied it yesterday. About time I got it going, no? Just finished a very long term project and on to the next one. Ill need this machine.

Thanks guys.

22. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

I have no idea what it is but I would have dragged it home too!

23. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Try Stan, he refurbishes and makes tooling for pull max and similar machines. I can't imagine him not knowing all of the info you are looking for.

24. Patman187

Patman187
    from Nebraska

Yes sir you have a nice reciprocating machine! Fay butler sells a very informative little booklet on how to use and make tooling for these types of machines and their useses. Two major things to remember with these types of machines is that 1 you DO NOT want the machine to hammer die to die with the metal in between the dies on your last pass you can tighten the die clearance until you hear it hammer then back it off until you don't hear the hammering(maybe only 1/16th of a turn). 2 these machines push the metal into shape they do not hammer it think of bending some thing progressively in a press brake same concept just rapid fire. If you have any questions about tooling shoot me a pm.
    [​IMG]
    Here is a panel for a off topic car I made in my pullmax type machine
    for one run wonders the dies can be made out of plastic.

Pat

25. Got some power to it,
    It's not dead but not alive either.
    the Swedish wiring 3 phase dual voltage gizmo contraption on the motor thru me for a loop. Called my electrician buddy and he is calling in some reinforcements.
    The wiring diagram inside the cover is gone except for the fuzzy stuff stuck on the ancient glue.

Pretty sure it's wired for 460 and have 230 here.

bantam likes this.
  26. 3 wires from the pigtail into the switch.
    7 wires from the switch to the gizmo.

Attached Files:

27. More wires than we can accurately count coming out of the motor to the gizmo

Attached Files:

28. oldgoaly

oldgoaly

Have you had any luck getting your machine running?

29. Nope, my electrician buddy is coming tomorrow for the past 4 months.
    Thats ok, because his work van will need something soon and ill have him by the short and curlies then.

30. You looked on youtube? There are videos on most everything on there.