Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 41 plymouth coupe 392 hemi build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by farmer12, Apr 7, 2010.

1. farmer12

farmer12

It kind of feels funny not having to do much the coming weeks apart from a few little things. I guess it will give me a bit of time to save some money for when the first payment has to be made to the body shop.:eek::D

2. 1959apache

1959apache

600,000 views Eric!

I just started working on mine again, wish I was where you are right now

3. hemi v8

hemi v8

Agree. Getting even better every time I view this thread. Awesome chassis Eric!

4. farmer12

farmer12

The empty garage feels a little strange.......but still got my chassis. I plan to install the hydraulic clutch in the next week or so.

Thank you Hemiken.

Thanks 4rod

Thank you Ronald.

Me neither Keith. Once again, I need to be patient.

5. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you for the kind words Ed!

All good things take time and patience Scott.:D From what I can see from your build so far, it will be one awesome car!

Thank you hemi v8.

6. verry nice Eric your making some progress
    what color will it get ? or is that still a secret ? >:D

Sander,

7. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks Sander. No secrets here. It's going to be blacker than black.:D

8. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thats the same color that my friend painted my shovelhead.I said him that i want it black,no red,silver or anything else mixed up with the paint.So,done that,been there etc.:D

9. 2dr_sedan

2dr_sedan

Nice work! The '41 Plymouth coupe is the nicest to me.

10. We need picture updates Eric! :)

11. Ford blue blood

Ford blue blood

Shiny black.......?....I hope.....

12. Can't wait!! Been quite a journey (even for onlookers)

13. farmer12

farmer12

Black is probably the most difficult colour to paint, as you'll see any imperfections. This means that the body shop will need to make it as straight as an arrow. On the other hand, no other colour looks as good IMO.

Thank you for the kind words.

14. farmer12

farmer12

As soon as I have any, I'll post them. For the time being, it's quiet here on the other side of the pond........

15. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I stay away from this great thread for a month or two at a time, I guess because I feel like a fool saying "fantastic" or "awesome" too much.

But . . . beautiful, exciting to see it coming together. Still enjoying following along all your thought processes and build steps.

Dying to know, but afraid to ask out of fear of being too brazen, what will your total cost end up at? Will not be offended if you choose not to divulge, it is really non of our business. But I, for one, will end up much deeper in the money pit on my long term project than I anticipated at the outset.

My curiosity is mainly driven by the disconnect I see between a custom built car's aftermarket price versus what it costs to build one. I know on my project, I will be lucky to recoup what I have in it, which is parts only . . . forget being paid for the 2,000 hours. Of course, it is NOT about the money for you or me, it is about the love of the journey and the car itself, it is about the immense satisfaction of having built something so cool yourself. And probably like me, the idea of selling it is not even a distant thought. It is about driving it, it is about pride of ownership.

I see a ton of cars, street rods, customs, etc. that can be purchased for many thousands less than I know it cost to build. Not saying your beautiful creation will fall into that category - I don't know - I'm simply saying it is this phenomenon that drives me to ask the question.

16. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

quoted Brer Hair

"Dying to know, but afraid to ask out of fear of being too brazen, what will your total cost end up at? Will not be offended if you choose not to divulge, it is really non of our business. But I, for one, will end up much deeper in the money pit on my long term project than I anticipated at the outset."

not to hi-jack the best thread on the HAMB, but I just thought this struck home as I have as much $tied up in my engine/supercharger as I orininally anticipated for my whole project. But oh well, now I've got a 1st gen HEMI.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  17. It's kinda like asking a women how much she weighs , you may want to know but it's usually better off not to ask ! :cool:

18. farmer12

farmer12

100% correct!

It has certainly been a journey......longer and more costly than anticipated, but worth it in the end. (I hope :D)

19. bigtumtum

bigtumtum

Wow great job so far...

Farmer12 heb je al een nederlands kenteken?

20. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You know, re-reading this now, it does seem disrespectful. It really is non of our business. Certainly hope I did not offend you, Eric. Please accept my apology if I did.

21. farmer12

farmer12

Don't be silly! No apology required! I haven't added up all the costs and I don't plan to! ;) I know roughly what it will cost in the end, but there are still a few variables. I'm building this car for me and it will turn out the way I want it to. It will never be a smart investment and that's fine. I'm enjoying the whole process and that's what counts. Selling it ever? Probably not. Unless someone gives me an amount with a whole lot of damn zeros, it's staying in my garage.:D

22. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm like you Eric. I have an idea but I'm never going to add it up. I'm going to do it to suit me and that's that. You can't put a price tag on a good time! And building cars are one of the best "good times" you can have. :)

23. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Now there's some great advice I should heed. Add that to the many things I am doing wrong! Why didn't I think of that? Sure releases a lot of pressure! Thanks Eric!

24. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

I'm betting that the first time you hit the loud pedal and row through the gears on the Autobahn in Germany all costs will be insignificant. 'Course the grin factor will be worth millions.:D

25. x2!

26. fstfish66

fstfish66
    from eastern pa

all i can say is WOOOOOW ,,,when your done ill ship you my car,,for your next project to keep you busy,,,,,

27. farmer12

farmer12

It's the smile that will certainly conquer all the relevant costs.:D Priceless in my opinion.

28. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Amen, brother!

29. farmer12

farmer12

Things seem to slow down here with the onset of winter....... I dropped by the body shop today and it appears that they have started on my firewall. It's not much, but it's a start. I know they have been busy finishing other projects, so it will be my turn very soon.:D

Attached Files:

Hogman and Car like this.
  30. hemi v8

hemi v8

A little progress is better than no progress. Some things are not to be rushed!