Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My AV8 flathead build.. blown...

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by hotrodderhaag, Jan 28, 2013.

1. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Such a nice day out.. I had the day of work so I un packed the model a, filled it with antifreeze ( I normally run only water), cleaned the plugs and have been on the road all day with it..
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1383152675.429550.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. nice, gettin it in, sick pic

3. aonemarine

aonemarine
    from Delaware

I just spent 6 hours reading the entire thread. I am getting ready to start on my AV8 build and like you want to keep it a traditional build, no cutting fire wall here either. Your build has cleared up a lot of questions I had about the swap. I'm sure the purists will hate me for ripping out the banger, but I bought the car, not them. And I hate it when someone says I can make a nice rat rod out of it. Lol
    I'm over here in Delaware, maybe we will run into each other sometime.

4. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Found some bad ass light visors in my dads barn today...
    I love the look
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1383526792.594155.jpg

5. drmrman

drmrman
    from new Jersey

I dig it!!!! They look great

6. I like em too, can't go wrong with a little eye brow.

7. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

They fit the look..

8. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1384733283.959250.jpg

9. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1385347327.607700.jpg

10. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

i just registered to take my model a to the march 14-16th piston power show in at the cleveland IX center. i have been to several shows there as a viewer and see some very cool rides. I plan on getting my mechanical throttle linkage done by then and getting the new fuel line on that has the flex section in it.. also i am thinking aboout ditching the hand made water necks and going with a set of dual groove head style water pumps like what was orignaly on it , and throwing the block of plates and lower water necks back on it.
    this will make it more original.
    we will see what i can get accomplished

badandy likes this.
  11. drmrman

drmrman
    from new Jersey

Wheres my fire ring!?!!?!?!?!?

12. sounds like a cool show, I'll look into going. was trying to hit up detriot autorama but and I think its right around that time so I'll prolly go to one or the other. Good luck with your wrenching.

13. kiwi1967

kiwi1967

Just read this whole thread and my eyes are burning!...very cool dude, lots of good information on the install of the drive train,..i picked up a complete 50 merc 8CM and OD trans a couple of weeks ago and ive been hunting for a good A to put it in and build something for the hotrod hill climb in Georgetown CO next year (that's the motivation anyways)...your coupe turned out saweet!

NoSurf likes this.
  14. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

I just purchased two of the original style 21 stud waterpumps with dual pulleys. ! So now i can make it all original looking and get rid of the fabricated water necks.

15. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1386522521.583484.jpg

16. wisconsinjimmy

wisconsinjimmy

:eek:WOW I am IMPRESSED and subscribed:D

17. Do you plan on rebuilding these yourself or sending them out?

18. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

I will send them out. I don't want to damage the pulleys. May give skip a call and have him fix them up

19. This thing is so Cool!

20. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

YEAH it is!:D

21. daddio211

daddio211

Attached Files:

22. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

He did my coil and I couldn't have been happier with it.
    Just don't trust the repops and I wanted to keep real ford script parts also

23. drmrman

drmrman
    from new Jersey

24. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

you will get it when we go to RB shop.. if i get my new injection pump for my stinking truck on time :)

25. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

thanks guys,
    its still a mind blower every single time i walk into the garage. i guess i take it for granit that i own it. Alot of people druel over it when i take it places, and to me its just a 5 window coupe. but then i look at what alot of others have started with and the amount of time and money it took to get something close to what i started with. it makes me appreciate the route i chose to start a hot rod. i appreciate the few friends that have helped me out, being this was my first rod, i had a lot to learn!
    but it turned out good and i just absolutley jump up and down every time i get to drive it..
    i will own it forever. it will grow old with me and change as i do.. as of right now im not happy with the white walls.. im going to look into buying a new set of black walls and maybe gifting the white walls to a friend of mine who could use a new set.
    the black walls would make it 100% period correct in my eyes. even know i love the bright whites.. there not right. i bought them and then changed direction after i installed them.
    im also planning on doing some other modifications to make it ride a little smoother. brand new springs will be installed and i found a guy to rebuilt my factory shocks. so i want to get that done also...
    i have seen alot of cars that i fall in love with at first sight..
    but nothiing compares to walking out in the garage and seeing the model a sititng in the corner just waiting for nice weather.... it wont see as much road time as last year because i plan on drivng the 34 im building.

i want to do a refesh on the little 21 stud, find some real aluminum heads and a cam.
    make it sound a little more hot rod ish.

26. brian55lvr

brian55lvr
    from ma

27. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

I received my new water pumps today... This will make it more authentic .
    Hope to have them on tonight and get the old lower mounts bolted back on also

28. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

One is slightly different than the other. ( vents in the pulley) .. But I am picking up a spare dual groove pump from a friend that matches
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1387738205.911893.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1387738218.179719.jpg

29. Interesting about the pulleys. I sent a couple to Skip and he phoned me on Friday to say they are shipped he wanted to tell me that he had found a matching pulley as mine did not match. He mentioned that he has done thousands of pumps but this was his third set of dual pump in head so they must be rare! Anyway it will be nice to know I have a good set and he also said that they pumped very well. Apparently he tests every one! Nice!
    I am using them so I can use my 1928 Powerhouse gen with the Alternator hidden inside and use the most forward grove to drive it ,Am using an early Roof intake and do not want to offset the gen.
    Thomas

30. Toner283

Toner283

Cool looking A! I had to do a double take when I first saw a picture of it, the body looks a lot like the one my dad has had for years with faded and abused red oxide primer.