Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Belly/wing/drop tank build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Truckedup, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Truckedup

Truckedup

I briefly touched on this project when I got the Ford V-8 60 started....It was a static display vehicle.....
    I'm supposed to build this pile of shit into something for a younger friend. It will not be a race vehicle, just driven very short distances with a dealer plate.He likes danger...

I build vintage race bikes and have done a few from the ground up old Chevy trucks. But I have no experience with old Ford stuff.
    I can build a simple frame no problem...

The plan is no rear suspension, the tranny as close to the rear end as possible...But how to deal with the absence of the torque tube,keep tranny oil in the tranny and rear axle oil in the axle ????

And from the photos can you tell the year of the axles? The front axle measures 50-1/4 inches center to center on the top side of the king pins.

The brake drums appear to be 12 inch
    Thanks

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Glad to see you posting, you find Andys thread?

3. Truckedup

Truckedup

No,I did look but the user name might be misspelled?

4. PaGnome

PaGnome

Hi, one of the best Belly Tank build diaries is Jim McCain, go to his web page at:http://www.mccainautomotive.com, this is very comprehensive.
    Also I am at the rolling chassis stage with build pics on Facebook , if you are on fb, give me details to invite you or go to 'Ramblin Roadsters'
    Cheers…Neil

5. Truckedup

Truckedup

Thanks Tman. That photo of the simple channel frame is what I'm thinking

6. Truckedup

Truckedup

And this is what I fabricated from parts on hand....I asked a lot of questions,very few answers, but it rolls ..:D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

mctim64 likes this.
  7. captmullette

captmullette

looks good...

bq874 likes this.
  8. Yes! Too cool!

9. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

Looks like a fun project(especially if you can build it on somebody elses card)

10. Truckedup

Truckedup

It's a light car with only a V8 60...but....I just knew finished suspension photos would get me "you maybe should done this" . And one guy here suggested it.... The stock rear radius rods and an open drive aren't made for each other. So I'll gusset the rod with DOM tubing, be like a race car...
    That's why I build bikes, less parts :D

11. It is close and you know where to gusset things. Very good for a display car. Guy will have fun taking it around the block.

12. sailingadventure

sailingadventure

This may save you some head scratching, it only took me about a month to figure out how to make the transmission shift. Here are some pictures.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you have any questions, PM me.

mctim64 likes this.
  13. Truckedup

Truckedup

Thanks, that shows what goes on.....The F 86 tank is narrow and the sprung rear axle pushes the engine forward a bit more...but it's coming together.
    Too be honest, bikes are easier to build because there's less of everything and the parts weigh less....

Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
  14. bigmuff81

bigmuff81

15. When you separate the two half do you cut the one half where there is no lip and make a lip for the other half is this how I have to do it. Yesterday I bought a P38 tank and want to cut it just want to make sure I do not screw up. Great project way cool

Thanks
    Frenchy

16. Truckedup

Truckedup

I didn't cut the tank .. but it's been cut right in the middle. It'll have to have a lip welded or fastened to one half ....This F86 tank is only 24 inches diameter at the widest point.

I modified the rear radius rods because of rotational stress from the open drive conversion. The "ladder bar" lower tube is fastened to a lower backing plate bolt.

[​IMG]

17. That looks cool and like that the main rod is horizontal. JW

18. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

More parts = more cool! Real nice build for a guy that says he doesn't like this shit!

19. Truckedup

Truckedup

I like it more than that Gothic slut bike I'm building for a guy...:D

20. Any progress to report Tony ? JW

21. Truckedup

Truckedup

I've been busy with my race bike and putting a front end loader on a tractor......But I have been working on it a bit
    All four wheels have brakes now. A Vega steering box and tie rods are mocked up in position. And I have a late model imported car aluminum radiator ,a bunch of hoses and steel tube to attempt a cooling system. The radiator is behind the engine 20 degrees off horizontal...A bit of a design challenge to get the cooling tubes from the engine front inlet nipples back past the exhaust and frame and then into home built Y connector and into the radiator. The cooling system only needs to be good for about 30 minutes of running at one time.
    I was told this F-86 wing tank is too narrow.....And it is...makes for dense packaging but it will happen this summer.

22. lowXM

lowXM

23. You like a challenge !! JW

24. Very cool build from a small home garage.

25. Very cool!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

26. Truckedup

Truckedup

I've been working on the car a few hours here and there. This is the gear shift linkage,very simple and it actually works and has a typical H pattern. The forward end gets a shift lever and support for the shaft.

[​IMG]

And the steering...Vega box ,three turns lock to lock ..

[​IMG]

27. That's trick ! JW

28. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

i love the shifter, simple design.. does it function smoothly?

29. redzula

redzula

Yeah that shifter is pretty slick. Nice work

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!