Register now to get rid of these ads!

how to flat clear a patina paint

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by metalmen, Jul 3, 2013.

1. metalmen

metalmen
    from new jersey

i seen that on the tv shows, i have a truck thats rust and sun faded is this something to really do or will it just peal and make it look like shit a year from now, or anything els to do to lock the look in

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A few hours with a Da sander and some 80 grit will get it down to where you can primer it and make something out of it.

3. Spend some time and do it right,,clear over rust is for those rat rod sites,,not the Hamb. HRP

4. 117harv

117harv

So how do you PRESERVE a patina? Here is a thread with some info that will help. The search function will give you many more threads on the subject, and it's free.

5. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Gasmonkeystyle = retarded

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  6. metalmen

metalmen
    from new jersey

Geez relax I'm not gas monkey in anything I just have a original paint truck that's aged a bit it's only. Original once so I was trying to save it from gettin worst it not bad enough for a repaint just gettin thin on some spots , I hate that hack show just to let you know

7. let it age as its doing now ....gracefully . or shoot it in primer sealer

8. voodoo1

voodoo1

I would only take a scuff pad to it, then clear. Do not take 80 grit to it. Go to the paint store, get a decent clear and get a flatting agent for it. It's simple. If guys can go to flat black, satin clear is no big deal. Good luck. Mike

9. How about a photo? HRP

10. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

A merchant marine friend used to take his aged motorcycle on the ship when he was working. He hosed it with floor wax.

11. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Patina? I guess I can't help,cuz that word to me is only a fanzy way of saying its screwed and needs fixing,give it some repect and put new shiny paint job. Having bad paint as a finish in not cool at all,any more then if you have a final finish of flat=primer,or satin=badly done shiny. Make it look good. Takes only a little more work and $ but last longer and looks better.

12. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

Store it inside and drive it often. You can't expect it to stay exactly like it is. It will age and that's OK. It won't rust away if you keep it out of the salt and wet storage. The best treatment is the oil from your hands and abrasion from use.

Let it be real.

13. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

Paint is temporary.

14. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

Another alternative is a 50:50 mix of kerosene and water. Shake well, dip rag, squeeze out, apply and let air dry. Water will bead and the patina will look richer and deeper.

15. gilczbq

gilczbq
    from london

The search function will give you many more threads on the subject, and it's free.[​IMG]

16. pastlane

pastlane

Use a flat wax, as opposed to the typical high gloss stuff. Hard to find in smaller cities, you may have to ask around...

17. Classic,,,, a FNG bringing up a post that had dropped down a few months just to call everyone trolls. :cool:

18. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

Fixed.

19. farmeracb

farmeracb

I repair and restore antique tractors, and sometimes a repaint can actually reduce the value of an original one that is nice but has thin paint. I use a marine water based urethane over the original paint sometimes to bring out color and preserve. Try a little spot and see what you think. It sands back off easy for paint and can be touched up with a brush roller or spray gun without having to re do all of it.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

gas & guns likes this.
  20. T.L.

T.L.
    from Colorado

Patina is just a fancy word for "looks like shit", and an excuse for not spending money on a paint job. Basically, rat-rod garbage...

21. chinarus

chinarus
    from Georgia

Keep it original paint as long as possible and call it a "survivor".

22. harleycontracter

harleycontracter

Usually "patina" paint jobs done right would take longer than shooting it with color and being done with it. I'm not a painter just my opinion.More labor and more time. Patina paint jobs done right go into the booth with the option of being shiny black or patina from what I heard. But hey it's all what "we" like to look at ourselves. That's what makes all these cars hot rods and not production cars that all look alike.IMO

23. harleycontracter

harleycontracter

Was responding to this post

24. gtopillado

gtopillado

I think this is what your looking for: use a grey 3M scuff pad with a sanding paste like DX101, after its washed, dried and taped off, clean car with a wax and grease remover. You want to mix a catalized clear coat with a flattening agent...go for a egg shell-flat look. I prefer the egg shell, spray 2 medium wet coats and your done. This is what we use to replicate the finish on cladding moldings for most European cars. Keep in mind, the heavier coats you spray will give you more gloss, even with flattening agent. If you PM me with any PPG questions, I'd be happy to help out.
    Dave

25. TheBartBarton

TheBartBarton
    from Venice

mashed, sounds like a personal problem. you ain't got no style bro. i'm sure you kicked the dog tonight too. What matters to me is I've got a nicely chopped 52 Chevy with a nasty big block, good brakes, suspension, custom wheels. I'll have to do something to the deck and radiator. Otherwise, pretty dialed in, a Harley dealer had it for 7 years after buying it from Rawlings and did lots to it. He has around 40 cars, all nice and radical, a well funded guy. It's no rat rod either. The style is Derelict but 6 years before Jonathan Ward started building them for $250k. The only other 50's era Chevy I've really liked on here is a flat red '52 by 345winder, he says he built and I have no reason to doubt....I paid $44.5 for it and I earned it so I can spend it wherever the fuck I want to. Enjoy.

Attached Files:

26. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

Im sorry. But in some cases patina is just down right cool. Not every one is going to have a nice mint paint job boring!!!!! Imagine finding a gasser barn find with no patina???? Im sure most would say yea that would be so great. But come on.

27. midroad

midroad

If you have old paint it's patina. If you have rust it needs painting.

28. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Since we all have opinions about this, how hard would it be to keep them to yourself and just answer the question? Yes, you can flat clear but it won't look like the real thing. The advice above about flattening agent and not too much is right on the money. Just for the sake of saving $$$$ and labor, try to wax what you have 1st. Don't worry about the thin spots, and instead of a paste or white liquid use some Meguires Final Inspection or Quick Detail. Easy to use, beads water, doesn't "white out" if you're conservative with it, no difficulty removing for the day when new paint is desired. Just sayin, and good luck with it. I don't want you to like what I like, but would be happy to help you get what you want as easy as possible.

29. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I agree. But putting clear paint over it makes it no longer patina. It's painted over patina. Preserve it some other way.

30. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

I think I remember reading about someone using tung oil. I was going for the same but I scrapped the idea when I realized mine is in a heated garage and away from salt.