Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs paint work

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 61 chevy, Dec 7, 2013.

1. 61 chevy

61 chevy

the last painter I used, said HE would keep the RUNS in the can, he had 5 runs,he had to fix,

2. Having a perfect flawless paint job on perfect bodywork isn't any fun after its done.
    And then it takes all the fun out of the car. At that point the best thing to do is sell it before it gets screwed up.

3. I had a huge falling out with my old man because he rushed me, I didn't get to finish my job and the truck looked horrible. He had someone try to polish it and they screwed it up. I stole it from him while he was on vacation and Repainted it. It's my reputation. Family or not, free or not, can't have my name on it if Im not proud of the work.

4. aonemarine

aonemarine
    from Delaware

Runs are easy to fix (in B/C). As long as it isnt candy....

If there isnt a run there isnt enough paint on it!!

Runs are Free extra paint

I know that someone has more.....

5. 61 chevy

61 chevy

also extra work to fix them lets drink another beer on it,

6. aonemarine

aonemarine
    from Delaware

Hey, painting it the second time is all ways easier!! the car I have now im sure will be shot twice, one quickie one keeper....

7. aonemarine

aonemarine
    from Delaware

sooo, there are some good ole boys left..:D

8. txturbo

txturbo

we read it....and we have been burned by cars that only need "scratch and squirt" paint jobs.

9. aonemarine

aonemarine
    from Delaware

Burned huh... well im not even going there.....

10. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

- not always. have seen work by big name guys fall apart. had a '47 Ford coupe single stage painted by Miracle Auto Painting, like MAACO. Had pro painters amazed that the paint job cost me less than $500. As anyone will tell you , it almost all in the prep. but, the guy holding the gun has to really know what he is doing too.

11. aonemarine

aonemarine
    from Delaware

Maybe its the guy holding the gun that "cares"

12. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Once you do some truly perfect cars, EVERYTHING you do from then on will be judged by those flawless concours examples. The best paint on the planet won't cover poor gaps, wavy panels or sloppy cut in/jamb work. I've had 3 full sized O/T Mopars under my gun. Not a one of em cost less than $20K. Not a one of em looked over done or under done. The labor involved in making a car look like it used to is considerable. In 61 GM painted that Impala in 3min. Today it might take 6000min, but then again it's not all brand new ready to go metal, is it? If I had a no rust 61 Impala that really needed paint to be "the one", I'm goin for it. I'll back up my bet and make sure that the value of that car might cover that family emergency, or leave me a lot of $$$$$ left over when I flip into something else, or any number of reasons why CERTAIN CARS should be treated better than some used 80s Camaro or a late model shop truck.

It's also true that a Maaco S P R A Y job can compliment someone's disciplined prep work. It's pure denial to think preparation can be covered up. And finding things after a quote? Doing it free? Never. Maybe a onesy-twosy thing, but full on rust repair? It's not MY car. I stop and have a cup of coffee with my customer and give them my best advice and I might give them a deal, but never free. Do it once or twice, it will be expected. "Oh this guy is the salt of the earth and would..." Bullshit. He's a human being with all the frailties and temptations the rest of us have. 1 in maybe 10,000 if you're lucky, more like 100,00 would be more like it but I'm an optimist. Sound harsh? Hardcore? I didn't get this way last month.

13. aonemarine

aonemarine
    from Delaware

I get the impression you post was sparked off of my posts. :p
    No doubt what you say is true 99.9% of the time, but I run with my own small group that I have know for years, and they are all my elders that have been hot rodding since before I was born. They all have paid it forward many years ago and are either building one last car or are done building cars. Monitary value means nothing to these guys anymore and If I need something and they have it, it will just show up on my door step.
    in the next week or so the Geezer gang and I are hitting the local u Pull its searching for seats and afterwards well have a couple of shots of hot apple pie and talk about fast cars and cheap women while tinkering in the shop. I wouldnt trade these guys off for any dollar figure, and im sure that anyone that was in this click would feel the same.

14. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One of my dearest friends pursued buying my 61 bubble top from me (it's not for sale), so I thought what the hell and shot him a price. Then he said it was for his dad (dad's $$$$) so OK, c'mon over. We look everything over and I'm one of those overly honest types that wants a buyer to know ALL the work needed. I don't focus on the good or exciting. The car needs the floors done right, 1/4s finished, some minor repair on the front fenders, then complete paint inside and out. It's also partially disassembled to the point of just rolling with doors on it, the rest in a pickup truck full of boxes. Imagine my gut reaction when he offered me $3k more if I finish the car minus motor, trans and wiring. And this is perhaps one of my closest friends, his father also a part of our racing exploits and many other events. If ever a heart felt GO FUCK YOURSELF was needed, that was it. That fuck knows what I do, knows I nearly can't do quicky cave n pave work. Knows that I have over 130 best of shows/100pt/400pt/national "1 time" awards in the hands of my clients. "...said it doesn't matter how good you are and nobody cares about that anymore...", and finding myself telling someone I'd do anything for to shut the fuck up before something bad happens was a really twisted moment for me. He gets $1800 to wire a basic bracket racer +parts, but my labor would be worth less than $1200? I do little more than nod to his dad when I see him, and this happened 4yrs ago. I have others who routinely try to pay me more than I want for exceeding their expectations as well so it's not all expletives and angst. You get how you get after 42yrs in the game, and there was less than 2yrs of that doing "conventional" driver type work. The rest all custom/hot rod/restoration.

To the O/P, good luck with your search. There's lots of hungry guys out there these days, but I'd still treat a premium car to premium service.

15. As always Highlander, well said.

I always charge $40 per hour plus all materials. And I use all top of the line materials. People come to me knowing the quality I will give them. I don't advertise or go looking for work. In fact I usually turn stuff away as I am too busy to add another job to the list.

If someone doesn't want to pay $40 per hour, or wants a flat price, I will suggest they keep looking for womeone else to do their car. My standards and quality are clearly not for them.

Glenn

16. To the O/P, good luck with your search. There's lots of hungry guys out there these days, but I'd still treat a premium car to premium service.

Bingo !!!!

Good friend of mine had a long term project that slowly came to a grinding stop and remained there. Lost his motivation and couldn't stand to see the car in 47 different shades of body work and multi colored panels. He towed the car to maco and had them do the cheapest paint job available.
    Some said it was money down the drain but what it did was breath new life and vigor into my friend and his project and he got it finished. This was purely psychological in nature, nothing changed except a cheap ass paint job. Once he was finished it went to the high end body shop and got a fantastic black paint job.

Premo car, premo body work in the end with a 400 detour. 67 gto.
    I don't think he ever would have finished it without that detour or boost .

17. nh-lead-man

nh-lead-man

ALL ready to go.If you cant see it take a guess like the last guy he called! Go away this is NOT a charity I remember a guy crying about thre price so I said here is a materials list You buy the materials ill shoot it for 600 .And man you know iIthe list had enough materials for three cars Did he piss and moan about that.Tape it half an hr da 180 xim st enamel one day $600 out the door. I boxed xim with the paint shinney and slick 35 years ago.today we pay for all those pretty nascar racers just keep jacking the price up. paint jobs are a thing of the past everything is disposable. That includes US!!

18. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

how true this rings....(same boat)
    reminds me of the TIPS (cash) for the shock that flows over some when they see unexpected results.
    never had atip under 500 most a lot MORE.

:cool:

19. aonemarine

aonemarine
    from Delaware

Thats kinda funny, I was thinking of just shooting my car with a quick coat to make it look better while working on the body work and deciding on the color. Im planning on driving this one while im working on it but cant stand driving somthing in primer. A quick shot of black laquer helps show up all kinds of things you wouldnt see in prime.

20. Good advice,It might have 100,000 little bubbles in it.:rolleyes:

21. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

I had typed a repsonse but this says it all.