Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Survivor Hot-Rod goes to Sweden.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by John 79, Jul 18, 2012.

1. John 79

John 79
    from Sweden

Thanks!!!!

Im on the last week of a 4 week trip to Florida so the "build" has been off for a while.
    But when i get home again there are some restored parts wating to be mounted so stay tuned ;)

2. Did you get any particulars on the 8BA???....... like others have said "great job!"

3. that's a great RPU !

4. John 79

John 79
    from Sweden

Its a 59AB, dont know much aboute it other than the heads carbs and intake.
    Also the 39 gearbox is rebuilt.

5. John 79

John 79
    from Sweden

Got my rebuilt spindles,new king pins installed.
    Did the first test drive with the rebuilt F1 box/anti chatter rods and everything in the frontend rebuilt.
    What a difference from the old setup.

[​IMG]

6. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Nice work,getting to be more fun,need ta polish the baby up nice!

7. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Really like what your doing to the RPU. As it sits right now the builder or any subsequent owners would think anything had been changed...and that's a good thing.:cool: Hope your close to having the only thing left to do is putting a ton of miles on it. Thanks for taking us along as you bring her up to date.

Frank

8. John 79

John 79
    from Sweden

9. John 79

John 79
    from Sweden

Started on the rear half of the exhaust system.
    When i got the car the pipes where under the rear axle.
    This is one of the few things i will change from the original look of the car.
    I dident like the low pipes so im going to mount them alot higher.
    I am using the old chrome (not so much chrome left) pipes.
    I did also use the old clamps to make the rear brackets,i Think it fits the rest of the car.

Original:

[​IMG]

New location:

[​IMG]

10. John 79

John 79
    from Sweden

11. John 79

John 79
    from Sweden

Exhaust system is now finished and test driven to check the sound ;)
    Also took all the old wiring out and started to make a new harness.
    Now replace all the brake lines and mount them right is on top of my to do list.
    Its slowly coming together.

12. John 79

John 79
    from Sweden

13. Love this truck and your approach on it.
    Just getting better with everything you do!

14. John 79

John 79
    from Sweden

Thank you sir!

I`ll try to get some more pics up for you all but the stuff im doing right now aint that fun to watch.

15. Very nice ride-And it's good to hear a international shipping exercise that went well...Cheers

16. hershambob

hershambob

17. John 79

John 79
    from Sweden

Well it came "home" undamaged but it was a slow ride over the Atlantic and i was nervous as hell before i got the message that it was ready to be picked up.
    Funny thing is when i got it home i tried to fire it up and the only new thing on the whole car was a brand new modern electric fuel pump,only took 10seconds before it broke,i dont think this car likes new stuff :D

18. John 79

John 79
    from Sweden

When i got the car there was a Electric fuel pump from Bendix mounted on the firewall.
    Sadly it was long gone and dident work.
    I did a search and found out this kind of fuel pump were mounted in early 50s and 60s Porsches.
    Tryed to find a new one but it was hard to find one that dident have German text on it.
    Found a new pump that looked almost exactly like the old one and got lucky on eBay were i found a new sticker with the right text.
    The new pump doesent have the same silver look but this is as Close as i can get.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. 57tailgater

57tailgater
    from Georgia

That fuel pump and new decal are cool. How did you get the pump to clean up that good? Also - may be a good idea to put a grommet on that hole where the wires go thru the FIREwall. :cool:

20. Squablow

Squablow

I love everything about this truck. It was perfect when it was built, and the attention to detail in the "restoration" is also very impressive. Glad it went to you and not to someone who might try to change things.

21. John 79

John 79
    from Sweden

Thank you!

I really like the look it has and i am only changing som minor exterior stuff like maby the hubcaps and as you already seen the exhaust.

22. agshelby

agshelby
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Much better with the raised exhaust. Q: It looks like your rear frame cross member and spring rise up through the bed. Does your truck have a cover over this, or is it open up inside the bed ? I have that issue with mine and I am working out a creative way to make it look right from the top side.

23. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Nice job of doing right. Here is a few things I did my self to my rods back in the late 50's and very early 60's,that may give ya some insite to what you had;
    The long chrome EX pipes with the flair at the ends,under the rear axle were called "Scavengers",the way most of us mounted those was under the axle,but level with the ground so the tips were just bearly out side the very back of car,the idea was by running them that way you got some HP by the air flow under the car running along the pipes and then passing the low tips out the back=making a sucking pull out those pipes.:D ;)Did it really work,maybe not,but that was what was beleved at the time,and a lot of cars had them mounted that way.
    The old fuel pump may of looked shiny like chrome becuase it had to start with the kind of gold looking finish of your new one; things that had that type of finish were often polished up=that turned that type of finish into a chrome look and was then sprayed with clear to hold the chrome like shiny,,most things with a cad finish got that done to them=it looked good and showed off well.
    Any thing rusty,dull or Primer,or patina was never though of as good looking at all,but something that needed to be fixed as soon as posible, this seems to be missunderstud in the last 15 to 20 years and some guys leve or even make stuff look bad,that would of been looked down on back then.
    Not picking on anything here,just trying to give you a look through my old eyes at how it really was vs that new BS so called "Hot rod flatblack world" that never was,but seems to be now.:eek:
    In any case keep up the good work.:D

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  24. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Very sharp little roadster. '30/'31 fenders are sooo slick, with the Deuce shell and shortened bed...
    Your repairs are clean and well thought out, really like the dropped tie rod ends.

Suggestion: Flip the steering arm ('hairpin') upside down so the drag link is underneath.
    More 'parallel' with wishbone, less 'bumpsteer'.

25. John 79

John 79
    from Sweden

Thanks.

There is no cover over the frame,just a hole in the bed.

26. John 79

John 79
    from Sweden

Ive red somwhere just as you say that it was common with the low exhaust for some time but i dident know why,now i do :)
    The reason why i build the "new" stuff kinda ruff and dont make it shine is just as simple as i want it to fit the car.
    If i made the new parts super nice and over worked they would just stand oute to much.

Alot of the stuff i do is to get the car legal to drive here,and some of the old parts were really shitty done and not safe by far.

27. John 79

John 79
    from Sweden

Thanks for the tip,ive thought of that too but if i flip it it would hit the perches.
    Ive got some modern adjustable perches now that absolutly doesent fit the car and they are bigger than original perches.
    I will swap them for original ones when i find a nice pair and maby then the flip is possible.

28. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Drinking a beer while watching Intervention is the only way I know to get through that shitty program. It drives me crazy.

29. peter schmidt

peter schmidt
    from maryland

such a cool little truck youre doing it justice making it safe without making it to differant. i found the same fuel pump you have at a swap a wile back for 5 bucks i love the looks of it. where is you gas tank in the truck? i want to run a 32 tank on my model a but i dont know if that pump has enough power to pull it from the rear id like to mount it on the firewall like yours.