Register now to get rid of these ads!

Screw dynamat. Peel and seel great sound dampening material....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blake84, Jun 29, 2012.

1. Snake hit

Snake hit
    from calif. LA

How much product would any of you calculate to cover a 1965 buick riviera, floors, sides & trunk .

2. jamesgr81

jamesgr81

As far as it being tar is concerned...remember the Volkswagen with the heavy tar poured over the floorboards and shifter tunnel? So if it was good enough for VW...

3. kkoacolonel

kkoacolonel
    from Union,NJ

Pep Boys sells the soundproof mat too.Think the cost is around $30 for a roll.

4. AndersonAutoGlass

AndersonAutoGlass

The stuff you guys keep calling "tar" on Peel and Seal is actually butyl rubber. Same thing that old style windshields were glued in with. Same thing as 3M strip caulk.

Lone Star Mopar likes this.
  5. AndersonAutoGlass

AndersonAutoGlass

This website has a ton of great info on making your car quiet, and also clears up a lot of mis-information floating around about sound deadening. I haven't used any of his products yet, but his his ideas all sound right.

http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/

6. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

Sometimes it's plain asphalt tar, not butyl rubber, in the cheaper versions. Shop carefully.

7. CaddyRat

CaddyRat

HAs anyone applied this over existing sound deadener? I have some factory installed stuff in the roof that would probably require a jackhammer to remove....1960 Chevy Wagon.

8. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

9. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I just bought a new daily today. The carpet is gonna need replaced and I thought about this stuff before I replace it. Thanks for the bump.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  10. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I just did the firewall and toe board of my 47 coupe with the Peel & Seal. The previous owner thought it was a good idea to remove the stock insulation, and the heat being radiated made the car almost unbearable oh a warm day. One layer of Peel & Seal did the trick. I also did the kick panels while I was at it. If/when I ever redu the interior, I'll apply it over the rest of the surfaces. It really is amazing how much of a difference it makes.

11. turdmagnet

turdmagnet

I use the same stuff on my OT cars/SUV. It works great and never had a problem with it coming lose or smell issues. You do need to seal the joints with the tape or you might see some discolouration from the tar over time

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

JeffB2 likes this.
  12. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Good to know feedback. I want to do this to my tin lizzy .:cool:

JeffB2 likes this.
  13. lcfman

lcfman
    from tn

I bought a roll of the Lowe's stuff it not very good, I will not buy it again.

14. Blake84

Blake84

I wrote this thread years ago and i was literally just doing my 1950 ford and read someone wrote on it haha . I use this on every car I have

Attached Files:

JeffB2 likes this.
  15. Blake84

Blake84

Also, I hit it with a torch to heat up the tar so it adhears better then i roll it while tar is tacky from the torch.

16. I like the noise!:p It's traditional.:cool: