Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Atlanta Hambers!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dsiddons, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Good advice here. Maybe send a PM to stealthcruiser He grew up in Atl. Works at th airport and has his place for sale. He just completed a bad ass shop with a lean out back with considerable size. He's in lovejoy/Stockbridge. He could tell you all about commuting to the airport.

2. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sad truth about Atlanta now is that "only" 35 or 40 minutes is considered good, "non-rush hour". Whereas in Charlotte my average drive anywhere is around 15 minutes or less. You, too, can have a 15 minute drive to the airport if you go south.

Don't mean to dis Atlanta, I still love the whole area, it is "home" (my dad's family has been there since 1901). Awesome part of the world, it's just that getting around by car really sucks, for the most part.

3. I moved here from SoCal and love it. When I need to go to the airport, I book the 8am flight that way I have to roll real early before traffic starts. Then its fine. Its hit and miss if you will get through the downtown otherwise. The South side is probably better if you need the airport for work. Then there is the MARTA option :rolleyes: always a fun story to take away from that experience.

4. Marietta is nice- check your commute to the airport, though... the Altanta Braves are building their new stadium at the 285/75 split, and traffic will be even worse than usual in that area for the next 4 years...

I moved down here from Philly, PA 10 years ago and love it. We're 20 minutes out of Athens in Barrow County, and can get most anywhere in 45-60 minutes. Of course, when I lived in Philly, I could be in 4 different states within an hour :)

5. I grew up in Coweta county and worked at the airport for 8 years. A 30 minute commute from my place that was in the sticks. Newnan's grown because a lot of folks who wanted to get away from the hustle and bustle of Atl came south. But they brought it with them. Good thing is a lot of decent Doctors, grocery stores and schools. Better Drs. in Atl. Not that far away. Also look at Meriwether, Heard and Carroll countys for a bigger piece of land. Maybe an old farm house , or build your own.
    I wouldn't rule out the entire "Southside" though. Lot of neat places there. Taxes are better (lower is always better, right?) outside of Fayette and Coweta. Good hunting.
    David

Posted using a Western Electric dial-up modem

6. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

Summit? Okay how the Peach Tree area?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

I got a buddy on the Southside and he loves it. He has land and likes to hunt. I will check it out also.

8. Joatha

Joatha

Another Atlanta area person checking in...

I have lived in downtown Atlanta, Jonesboro, Kennesaw (actually was closer to Woodstock), and East Cobb (halfway between Marietta and Roswell). My wife has lived in Norcross, Lawrenceville, and now East Cobb. East Cobb is BOTH of our favorites and we simply love the Marietta area. But, that is OUR favorite and it suits our lifestyle very well. It may not suit yours at all. My best advice is to find an area that suits your life - and ignore what everyone else has to say.

Here's a few questions to ask before selecting an area to live:
    1. Do you have kids in school or will you have kids in school in the future? Schools vary widely across the city and within the counties. East Cobb is probably the best schools around. But, there are certainly good schools elsewhere.

2. Where do you work and when will you be driving there? Traffic CAN be bad to deal with. But, its something that can be easily managed. Based on you working at the airport and driving at odd times, I would be less concerned about this. If you have to drive down there between 7-9a or 4-6p, then I would be concerned about being closer to where you work.

3. What kind of life do you like to live? Are you an in-town, bar-hopping, go-out-to-eat kind of person? Do you prefer to have space and peace and quiet? You need to strongly consider your personal preferences before picking something in Atlanta. There's something here for most anyone.

4. What is your budget for housing? Real estate prices are all pretty affordable in the area for the most part. But, there are certainly areas that are REAL expensive and not affordable. There are also areas that are very affordable because the neighborhoods suck out loud with crime and drugs and the like. Generally, you'll get more space the further out you go from Atlanta.

9. Joatha

Joatha

With regard to the Southside, I would just avoid Clayton County all together and the rest of that area is probably pretty safe to pick.

10. Joatha

Joatha

That is a function of the sheer size of the area (over 8,376 sq miles for ATL and 3,198 sq miles for CLT). The Atlanta MSA is about 2.5 times as big as the Charlotte MSA. So, it makes sense that it would about 2.5 times as long to get around to all points on average.

Getting around by car can suck. But, with a small amount of planning, you can easily avoid the traffic and congestion. My wife commutes to Midtown Atlanta every day for work. It takes her 30 minutes as she comes and goes early. I drive from East Cobb to Alpharetta in about the same time. I could shave 10 minutes off that by going in an hour earlier. But, I need my beauty sleep. :D

11. Phil1934

Phil1934

I drive from Ellijay to Lilburn in 2 hrs 15 mins. but I'm not in Clayton Co. anymore!

12. I can make it to the airport in 45 minutes and I live 60 miles away. 1:15 if the traffic is bad. I think that is pretty good.

At least all of our streets have street signs and are logically laid out Compared to Charlotte - :D - Charlotte also has it's fair share of wonderful traffic these days.

13. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

I'm a little farther north than you, and in ten years it's NEVER taken me more than an hour and a half to get to the airport.

Usually an hour 15 is about right. The 285 loop is pretty efficient.

Being able to adjust your triffic hours is a HUGE benefit. When I drive to Doraville for stories at Lamar Walden's shop, I can leave my home at 9am and be there at 9:45, or I can leave at 7am and be there at 9:45!
    When I leave, if I'm not in the car heading out of their parking lot at 3:45, I just stay until about 6:30 or 6:45, because I'm getting home around the same time as if I left at 4:00.
    Their shop hours are roughly 10:00-7:00pm to make their commute easier.
    They're off Buford Highway and Jimmy Carter, so traffic is always snarled.

But you plan for it, and it's never a problem.

Summit has a show once a month, but there's a LOT of cruises every week all over the area... Canton has a huge one, YearOne, Caffeine and Octane, lots of shows in small towns... you won't have any problem finding local cruises and shows no matter where you land in Atlanta.

-Brad

14. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I agree, but would amend that to say it is a function of the number of cars on the road (sort of the same thing). What I mean is, most of the streets look exactly as they did 40 years ago (except for landmarks), so cram 5 times as many cars on the same street . . .

And, in fairness to Atlanta, this is nothing more than a big city phenomenon, happens everywhere where the number of cars far exceeds the original design intent of the roads (which is pretty much every big city).

Amen to that. And I would add that the Charlotte traffic engineers suck, i.e. traffic light cycles are way too long. Atlanta lights cycle twice as fast as Charlotte. Here you sit 30 seconds after the last car has passed going the other way.

And one more thing. Atlanta had the foresight in 1972 to pass MARTA, so they are light years ahead of Charlotte in the public transportation dept. You think Atlanta traffic is bad, wait until the Charlotte metro area has 5 million folks, it will be total gridlock. Charlotte is also a decade or more behind Atlanta in the completion/constant-widening of the perimeter project (relative to their growth history).

OK there, I'm done. Sorry to run off track a little there.

The bottom line is Atlanta is a fantastic part of the world (with the best drinking water and prettiest women), but take caution in planning your daily commute. :)

15. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I've stayed outta this as long as I can, and I don't wanta throw rocks in a glass house, but don't condemn the entire Southside for the problems of some places, such as Clayton Co., which has undergone a socio/economic/cultural change that has put a not so hot group of politicians in power due to minority bloc voting, etc. Public schools even lost accreditation for awhile.
    You asked about P'tree City, but you also said you didn't like subdivisions, and P'tree City is all sudivisions as the town didn't even exist till the 60s! And the majority of nice housing on the Northside, except for some older areas, is in subdivisions.
    Many of the older areas have nice large homes that can be bought for much less per sq. ft. This applies all around ATL.
    The biggest problem in Dekalb Co. is the govt elected by an electorate that is a coalition of tree hugging liberals and poorly educated block voting minorities. The County's elected CEO is under indictment for a variety of corruption charges. Their county police dept. is sorta a tossup between the Gestapo and the KGB.
    If your kids are still in school you need to pay attention to the schools for certain. Hell, even Fulton County has some beautiful land still available in spots, but the govt. is so corrupt it's pathetic.
    On the plus also for the Southside is that Spalding Co. is the closest jurisdiction to ATL that is free of auto emission inspections. There' a cruise in every weekend during the season within 25 miles of my town, Griffin. And Summit is 20 or less miles away.There is such a traffic problem all around ATL that I'm about as close as I wanna be, and the traffic IS far worse on the Northside.I think we can help you with pros and cons on a specific areas pretty well with the broad spread of people on HAMB, but we need to know more about your lifestyle, kids (schools?}, work commutes, etc. to be a more helpful bunch.
    The whole point of my rant is that you just can't make a blanket statement, good or bad, about different sides of town.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  16. flatmotor40

flatmotor40
    from georgia

Also you can get a great oil change at the Varsity downtown.Need one now.Have to go up to Southern Bumper next week I hope and will go the 10 miles further north to get it changed.My house to airport is 50 mile and takes 40 minutes except Hudson Bridge area

17. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hahaha! "What'll you have?" . . . Chilli dog and a PC . . .

dsiddons, he's referring to getting hisfood grease fix at an Atlanta institution, The Varsity, started many decades ago by a GA Tech dropout.

18. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

All this "Southside" and "Clayton County" hatin'...........HARRUMPH!

Take into consideration everything Joatha mentioned in post # 38.
    I live in Clayton County, was born and raised here, and moved back here after a stint in the Military.
    We chose the area at the time, 'cause it was close to where me and my First Wife work, and the particular school district we chose was the best, (outstanding at the time), in the area.
    I live about 6 miles North of Atlanta Raceway, about 12 miles North of Dirty Old Man, and about 15 miles South of the airport, where I work.
    You said "airport once a week, at off times".......I work 11:30-22:00, 4 days a week.
    Catch the traffic lights just right, and I can be at the airport in 20 minutes.

Forget about Peachtree City, you'll hate it.
    Ether lives on the Southside, and there's a few hot rodders around.

My house ain't for sale yet, or I would damn sure put you in it right! 3100 sq.ft., 24X36X 10ft. walled shop with a lift, 100 year flood plain behind me , so no chance of construction there.

Google "Nash Farm Battlefield", and I'm 180 degrees from the main road that runs in front of it.
    Yeah, it's in a subdivision, but the folks don't give a damn much what happens here, as far as noise, music, and hot rods........They just appreciate you being nosey about the "goin's on" in the neighborhood, so as to look out for each others well being and safety.

And Brad just want's you on that side of town so you'll be near his swap meet............ ...... : )

It takes me about 50 minutes to get there when I decide to go to it, all interstate.

Summit Racing, 3 exits South of me, ('bout 20 minutes).

There is more auto stuff happening on the Northside, but the traffic up those ways SUCKS A$$ in my book!

Most of the S.F.C.C. is on that side of town, so it cuts down a little bit, on our romantic gatherings.......

You've got quite the budget for a home, it'll go farther on the Southside than the Northside.

As mentioned, decide mainly on what you need for your children,( yes, no?), and if it was me , I would research the best school opportunities for them.

And don't let the Clayton County carp bother ya'........Yeah, they got a fuckt up government right now, but who doesn't?

And , what's the "concealed carry" situation in Indiana?

It ain't o situation here, it's legal, (get a permit), and the thugs are quite aware of it!

So, what will your work / job be?

Edit: "An hour and a half to the airport"?.............I can walk there, and prolly' halfway back by then!

19. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

HA!
    Actually, I just need more guys to hang out with up here! I've got guys coming to the swap meet from Charlotte, Chattanooga, the Tri-Cities area in Tennessee, etc. so I figure if he lives in Georgia, he'll be at the swap meet.

We chose Jefferson partly because it's right off I-85 and still rural, but 20 minutes to everything in all four directions, it's that much closer to Charlotte for the AutoFair and other stuff, and the school system is one of the best in the state.
    I not only leave my vehicle unlocked all the time, I frequently leave the keys in it in some parking lots and my driveway.

It's country, and I wanted my kid growing up playing in the woods, swimming in ponds, and having adventures, with a good school system for the education.

And yes, Georgia's Concealed Carry rules are awesome!
    (if you're not on board with concealed carry, please choose another state!)

In all seriousness, there area TON of houses for rent in the Atlanta area and every surrounding town, city and county. You should rent one for a year and see what you like.
    It's cheap insurance to make an informed decision.

-Brad

20. I'll second the "rent first" idea. We rented for 6 months so we had no pressure and plenty of time to look for a house and get the lay of the land.

21. tylercrawford

tylercrawford
    from Buford, GA
    1. S.F.C.C.

If you are going to work out of Hartsfield, I honestly would try to find something on the southside (below I-20).

I have a friend who works for Delta and lives in Marietta and everytime I talk to him is pissed off about his drive and his ready to move. He lives at home (whole different story at 27) and pays like $200/mo so his frugality has won out so far.

I know I would hate that drive as well from Buford depending on what hours you had to get down there. Literally 7am-10am is crap and 4pm-8pm. Friday is usually 3pm-7pm.

I would agree on the renting thing. Atlanta has a bunch of nice places adjacent to kinda crappy places (minus the north of 285 between 75 and 85) and you'll get a feel for the traffic. It is as bad as everyone says.

Also don't worry about the car stuff. There are shows all over town when its warm.

There's a ton of nostalgia stuff going on now too. Couple of nostalgia races at Calhoun, Brad's race at Commerce. Scot's race at Reynolds. Atlanta Speed Shop's race at Commerce. Brainerd Optomist usually haves a spring nostalgia race . . .

Also two big ones just over the border into south carolina.

22. Karrera

Karrera

I've lived in Atlanta since 1955 - my mother is an Atlanta native. I grew up in Brookhaven and Sandy Springs. I've lived in midtown, Emory area, Buckhead, Marietta and Roswell.
    I'd have to agree that East Cobb is one of the places you should check out with Roswell ad Alpharetta high on the list as well. I've been in Roswell since1994 and the subdivision I live in has 3/4 acre lots and houses sell for the mid to upper 200's. Lot sizes tend to be a bit smaller on the Cobb side of the county line (I'm in Fulton). Everything north of the Chattahoochee River in Fulton County is incorporated into one of four cities reducing the impact of the County government somewhat.

Alpharetta has the monthly Caffeine and Octane event (first Sunday of each month) - a free drop in car show that gets a wide variety of cars:

http://solaros1.smugmug.com/Car-shows/Caffeine-and-Octane-2013

There is a nice string of parks along the Chattahoochee and the quality of life is very good. Real estate is appreciating more than other areas of the city.

Good luck and welcome to Atlanta

23. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

Yeah, he had to rent first to see if they could tolerate his ass..........:rolleyes:

Damned witness relocation.................

24. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

Headed down tomorrow to look around for a few days. Gonna hit as many areas as possible. Where's a good place to grab some grub on the Northwest side?

25. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Not to up on eating spots on the NW side, but at least I can give this a bump back to the top for you.
    The posts advising renting for awhile are not such a bad idea if you can find suitable digs that don't tie you down with too long of a lease.

26. delray57

delray57

You might try the Brookwood Grille in Roswell (Holcomb Bridge Rd) or there are a number of good places on Main Street in Historic Roswell. There are also good eating places on the Square in Marietta though we haven't been there for a while. If the weather is OK, you may want to catch the Caffeine and Octane cruise in just after daybreak on Windward Parkway in Alpharetta on Sunday. Have fun!

27. We're doing our almost-bi-weekly lunch get together at Lucky's Burgers & Brews in Roswell this Sunday 12:30. Nothing spectacular, just 6-12 of us idiots and better halfs, good burgers and cheap beer.
    Shoot me a PM.
    Brett

28. mphudak

mphudak
    from Atlanta

Lots of good places. One of my favorite bbq joints is "bubba-q" off of hwy 92 near I575, there is also the Marietta Dinner off of Cobb Pkwy near the 120 loop. Other places mentioned are pretty good too.

29. Moon Rocket

Moon Rocket
    BANNED
    from GA

Don't leave your warm coats behind. It's cold this morning!

30. chopped

chopped

I think the diner was featured in "Diners, Drive-ins and Dives"