Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Jay's Hot Rod: AV8 Pickup Build Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Junk Hunter, Feb 5, 2012.

1. draider

draider
    from Texas

Damn, I love this truck.

2. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Headers look good-
    price is right for sure-
    are they built pretty heavy? wall thickness on the pipe?
    I've only had experience with REDS-

I want to chrome stock manifolds for my y-block-

3. Junk Hunter

Junk Hunter
    from The Ozarks

http://www.bobdrake.com/Categories2.aspx?Id=a0bc89ae-9434-45d1-bdeb-59c407492c82

They look real good for the money. I knew I was going to have to do some header surgery on the drivers side behind the steering box so I figured I would rather cut up a $70 set than a $190 one. I was right..I didn't feel bad at all when I was cutting the rear tube off..or when I took the redbud to it when I was bending it into shape.:)

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  4. andyg

andyg

Dan it's looking killer!

Let me know if you need some parts.....I think I've got several extra early generators, fans, and pulleys. I'll try to drop them off the 26th on the way to HRG open house.....speaking of which.....you need to hop in with me!!! Hot Rod Garage in Sand Springs, OK....aways a good time!!!

5. What an awesome truck your are building!!!

6. Junk Hunter

Junk Hunter
    from The Ozarks

Man, I wish I could go to HRG this weekend but I've already got something going on late Saturday. BUT it would be great if you could stop by on your way through though. If we had a few different fan/pulley options to mock up I'll bet we could find a combo that I can make work pretty quick. Plus you can check out the rest of the pickup progress. I'll give you a call.

7. Junk Hunter

Junk Hunter
    from The Ozarks

Thanks Guys. I really appreciate it.

With winter coming, my schedule should be clearing off a bunch....and that means more time for the pickup! I hope to have more a bunch more updates in the next few weeks.

8. Junk Hunter

Junk Hunter
    from The Ozarks

Finally got my generator/fan setup figured out. Ended up getting an early rebuilt generator setup for 12V and a fan out of a late 30's large truck. I trimmed the blades 1-1/2" to get it to clear the upper hoses and the support rod bracket. Fits great.

For whatever reason, the generator mount on my Edmunds intake puts the generator about 3/8" further forward than stock...so the water pump and generator pulleys don't line up. I thought about modifying the mount on my intake but didn't like the idea of cutting it up. I decided a new intake was in order so I've got a new Edelbrock Slingshot on the way!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Dennis Lacy

Dennis Lacy

I've commented before but have to say again that this truck kicks ass! I still don't know why we don't see more '30/'31 trucks on '32 frames? This one proves how awesome they look, especially with the late '31 bed.

10. The intake is for an 8ba which stick out further than the 59 motors.

11. looking great! Turning into a rad little pickup!

12. Junk Hunter

Junk Hunter
    from The Ozarks

Mocked up my dash tonight. It's a '36 dash that I modified to fit. I think I'm going to like it!

[​IMG]

I was originally going to use a '40 steering column and wheel. I found this '36 at a swap meet a while back. It seems to suit the pickup better.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Dennis Lacy

Dennis Lacy

YES!

'36 Wheel all the way. Really matches the flavor of the rest of the truck.

14. Junk Hunter

Junk Hunter
    from The Ozarks

Here are a few pictures of the dash mods. I basically grafted the '36 dash to a Model A dash and molded the corners to fit. Mounts with the stock Model A bolt locations.

Attached Files:

15. I love the look of a 36 waterfall dash! It looks great in there.

Slick way you made it fit too.

Posted via telegraph.

16. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Enjoying this build, well done!

17. Junk Hunter

Junk Hunter
    from The Ozarks

Maybe, but I don't think my Edmunds is for an 8ba. No filler tube in the front either. I researched it a little and it seems that some of this style intake have a generator mounting plate that allows the belt to line up fine and some don't. Never could find a definitive answer as to what the actual issue is. I'm not the only one that has run into this problem: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=829207&highlight=edmunds+alignment

I'm sure my Edmunds will look great hanging on the wall of my shop.:D

This showed up today...think I will like it better than the Edmunds anyway...
    [​IMG]

18. Coolest Model A pickup hot rod ever. Bonus points for the widebox. :D

19. daddio211

daddio211

The alignment problem isn't just on old parts, I really struggled to find the right combination of parts for my 8BA. Turned out that Offy made an offset generator bracket to match the super dual intake I had.

It's like we're just supposed to know some of this stuff. I guess experience is the greatest teacher, but I'll be happy to pass my knowledge along to others. I'm wondering if Evans made a matching generator bracket to compensate for the alignment issue that nobody here knows about.

20. AHotRod

AHotRod

Cool truck, it's looking good.

21. andyg

andyg

Dan I don't know for sure but I think that most of the early gens had a thinner mount on the front of the gen. I think its what gen mount you've got and not in the intake. You'll know for sure if the Slingshot works.....let us know!

22. Junk Hunter

Junk Hunter
    from The Ozarks

Got the new intake on last night. Generator and water pump pulleys align perfectly now.
    [​IMG]

I really like the look of the slingshot.[​IMG][​IMG]

23. Dennis Lacy

Dennis Lacy

The new intake looks good! It makes the engine more interesting than the plain, boxy Edmunds.

(FWIW: A good friend ran an Edmunds intake years ago and it also had a slight belt mis-alignment.)

24. Nice project way cool will keep reading it.

Frenchy

25. Hell how did I miss this thread, great job so far! Keep on keepin on......

subscribed

26. Junk Hunter

Junk Hunter
    from The Ozarks

Thanks Dennis. Let's try to keep this 'Model A pickup on '32 Rails' thing kinda quiet. I don't want to see it become a new fad.:D

Yep, I think so too. I was pleasantly surprised when I first set that column in the truck.

Thanks guys!

Yep, I've noticed several of those Edmunds intakes mounted with misaligned belts.

...says one widebox owner to another.:rolleyes: If I were doing a fendered version of a '31 widebed, yours would be my example. You've got that pickup looking real good.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  27. Junk Hunter

Junk Hunter
    from The Ozarks

I much prefer a '30 Model A firewall to the late '31 firewall. The symmetry of the '30 just looks better to me. Early on I thought about changing this indented one out...but it's original and that teardrop indention gives identity to a late '31. So I left it in. I've had a few ideas for uses I could work into the indention that would look like it was supposed to be there. Once I was going to mount a triangle shaped fuel log in the middle of it...then I kicked around running heater hose lines through it. What I ended up doing was mounting a early Harley motorcycle horn in it...not 100% sure if it is staying there but maybe.
    [​IMG]

I didn't notice how similar the wings on the Harley horn were to the wings on the Alliance Member tag until I looked at this picture...pretty cool.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  28. Glad to see this thread come up again!
    Horn looks good there in my opinion

29. Pinewood

Pinewood

Neat truck! Following to see it finished.

30. seatex

seatex

Lookin' good......lookin' real good!