Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anybody price batteries lately

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by junkyardjeff, Dec 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

The batteries in my fleet are now getting to be at least 5 years old and starting to go and the latest is in my 37 Chevy p/u,done some battery pricing today at the parts stores and still getting over the sticker shock. So far the cheapest place is Rural King where I can get one for almost half what the parts stores are wanting,I have a group 51 battery (Honda Civic) in my 37 due to having to modify the battery box after the T-5 installation and they are the same price as the larger batteries at 100 to 130 dollars. I think I can get one from Rural king for a little less then 60 dollars so if I can get 4 or 5 years out of it I will consider it good as I have been getting 6 to 10 from the parts store batteries,It looks like I will just have to face the facts and deal with the 100 percent price increase since I last bought batteries but there has to be other places to get a decent battery at a reasonable price.

2. rjaustin421

rjaustin421

A few weeks I went to Advanced A/P to get a battery for my OT IH Scout mud truck and was taken aback by the nearly $100.00 price. Dang...

3. Chad_The_Sailor

Chad_The_Sailor

Yeah I work for a automotive shop and the prices are stupid nowadays, of course they are way marked up. Most cases they mark them up 60 % over cost.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Inflation sucks.

5. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It is not inflation. The inflation rate, October 31, 2012, to October 31, 2013, was 1.0%

It is commodity metals speculation. The trading market did this.

6. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

PicknPull has reconditioned batteries for $35. 6 mo. exchange warranty. FWIW

7. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

They suck, too.

hipster likes this.
  8. Try to find a place that sells only batteries, they usually have several price levels. Also Walmart sells batteries cheaper than most, but I dunno how good they are.

9. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

What place is that?

10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

11. and you believe that?

12. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just stating facts. Debate would require the discussion of politics, which has been expressly forbidden on this board.

13. amadeus

amadeus

I'm with Gimpy. Cost of Lead plays a big role. Also;As of now,major battery manufacturers have eliminated the "pro rate" from batteries, it is a straight warranty now 1-2-3 year etc. hence the jump on price( no more pro rate hassle)
    Think about it, most batteries last 2-3 years nowadays.

14. Doppleganger

Doppleganger
    BANNED
    from ...

I buy all my batteries at WalMart - IIRC Exide makes them. But I get them there for the main reason that no matter where I'm at in the country, if there's ever a problem, there's always one nearby for warranty. I know alot of the fishing trollers get them for the same reason. Usually $90-110.

15. Steve Ray

Steve Ray

I bought my last battery at an Interstate Batteries store. After I balked at the price of their batteries, they revealed that they sold "blems" with the label peeled off for about half price. No problems with it after about a year.

16. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

well let me tell you about how i buy batteries. Your low prices arnt that bad. I work near mexico and in the auto wrecking industry and the trucking industry. I buy my mine out of a no name warehouse with no stickers on them, off the books from a guy that imports them from the manufacture in mexico. I end up paying 35-40 bucks. I can get a interstate blemish for the same amount with a core. Thats with no warrenty. I sell my bad ones for 10-15 bucks scrap. I dont know how much you want to pay but it cost money to ship the heavy bastards and your bad ones need to go back. EPA makes it hard to make them in america and they cant be made in china because of the weight. so thats my take on it.

17. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The batteries that are on the shelf now were built using lead that was purchased, for just-in-time manufacturing, at the peak spot-price, in recent history, which just nearly hit $1.10/lb.

18. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bingo.

19. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

After the last lead smelting company in the United States which can produce lead bullion from raw lead ore has to shut down at the end of this month the prices will probably go up even more.

20. squirrel

squirrel

I priced batteries at walmart a few days ago, they start around $80. Sucks.

21. loudbang

loudbang

It's only going to get worse the LAST lead smelter left in the USA was closed down recently by the EPA. so expect the price of batteries will continue to go up and up.

22. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I am going to check into the blems from Interstate,I probably should buy a good battery so I can get over 4 years out of it but money is tight.

23. Ahh yes, the EPA. And it is true the last lead smelter is closing down. Our lead will now come from South America among other places. The irony is when the Hybrid owners get a taste of their own medicine. ;)

24. Chad_The_Sailor

Chad_The_Sailor

Yeah no kidding! Bullets too!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

25. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

I was also in shock after I purchased a new battery for my wife's car.

Maybe I have been living in a cave but what the hell happened to the price of batteries in the past year?

Most of the batteries at the auto parts store are over $100.00 dollars!!!!!!!

Kind of crazy but once again the consumer pays the freight if want to start your car.

Here in Florida batteries last right around 3 years and unlike up north where they give you some warning that they are about to die here in Florida you simply turn the key and their dead as a door nail.

Get ready for sticker shock the next time you need a battery.

Jimbo

26. greaseyknight

greaseyknight
    from Burley WA

The battery I just bought for an OT vehicle from Walmart was made by Johnson Controls here in Milwaukee. I priced out the other parts chain and the Walmart battery was cheaper and had a better warranty (3yr exchange IIRC) than the parts houses.

cue the Walmart/made in the USA folks...... :)

27. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

I fully expect to replace a car battery after about 4 years. It doesn't seem to be worth the extra money to buy a long term guaranteed unit.

Yep, battery prices have gone crazy.

Another crazy assed price is tires!!!

28. Feeding someone bullshit but telling them its ice cream makes everyone happy.
    :D

29. RDAH

RDAH
    from NL, WI

Lots of bullets flying around everywhere made from lead from old battery's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.