Register now to get rid of these ads!

Another traditional wrecking yard closing for good

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NMCarNut, Dec 4, 2013.

1. NMCarNut

NMCarNut
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here is a heads up for those of you that have been or are planning to go to A-1 Auto Salvage in Roswell, New Mexico. You better make that trip soon because A-1 will close for good shortly after the first of the year. They have been looking for a buyer so far with no luck. That failing the future of what remains after closing does not look good. There is still lots of good stuff, some pics taken earlier this week:

Attached Files:

2. NMCarNut

NMCarNut
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A few more pics:

Attached Files:

3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

the kind of stuff disappearing all of the time - get your parts/project now.

4. OLLIN

OLLIN

Man, looks like a cool yard. Shame..

I didnt see any in the pics, but do you know if they have any model A stuff?
    I think im heading out to NM for Christmas.

5. NMCarNut

NMCarNut
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is very little if any pre war stuff. Some 40s but mainly 50s and 60s. In the past we've gotten some amazing stuff, it will definitely be missed.

6. B.Sharp

B.Sharp

That middle suburban/panel looks like a 37/38. Is there anything left to the front part of it?

7. Rob68

Rob68

Growing up, I split my time in Roswell and Albuquerque. In between in the town of Vaughn was a cool wrecking yard. Always wanted to stop and finally did on my honeymoon. Its gone now too. Heard a cool story about it from the owner of the old hotel across the way. Its a shame.

8. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Some good stuff there. '63 Falcon HT and the Diamond T's got my attention.

9. That '60 Ford convertible is the bomb!!

10. chromeazone

chromeazone

Looks like I could use some of those De Soto grille teeth and pick that Shoebox Ford's bones!
    Do you know if they are parting the cars out or just selling complete cars??
    Are prices "reasonable" ?
    Thanks.
    Cosmo in AZ

11. chromeazone

chromeazone

12. Rob68

Rob68

hey chromeazone, best avitar ever!!!!

13. X-Farmboy

X-Farmboy

So they are closing, but what will become of their inventory? I haven't heard the dreaded 'crusher' mentioned yet...

The website is: http://www.a1salvage.net/

14. big M

big M

I stopped at that yard last year, and bought some parts for my own projects. I still find it hard to believe the '60 Ford Sunliner is still there, seems it was fairly solid.

The yard was bought by a scrap metal dealer over a year ago, so I would be very surprised if anything at all will escape the crusher.

Best to act now, if anyone is interested in any cars or parts there.

---John

15. NMCarNut

NMCarNut
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well put.

16. metalman

metalman

You would think even a scrapper would have an auction before the crusher. They did that here with a yard a few years ago, every car had a minimum bid which was scrap value, a lot of cars brought more, some a lot more, some the scrapper got but they for the most part was all they were worth. Win, win for everybody.
    I see several projects I wouldn't mine having and it's just a couple hours from me, hmmm, wonder what the divorce would cost if I run over and buy a few!

17. At least half your stuff, if you're lucky!

18. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Too bad it's so far away. That 57 Chevy wagon caught my eye.

19. Hemi j

Hemi j
    from Colorado

There's some really great stuff in there, I bought my 55 Merc Montclair and 56 packard tail lights from them, tons of cool parts and cars !

20. TAK Speed Shop

TAK Speed Shop

Everything in the yard is up for grabs, if you need a part off of a complete car that is in nice condition he will tell you to take it off. Prices are not scrap metal price but close and the more you buy the better the price gets. The De Soto grills are for sale and he knows the value of them. He told me to make a reasonable offer. I pulled a lot of parts and a few cars out of this yard. It is going to be a shame to see it gone.

21. Fly'n Kolors

Fly'n Kolors

I have the pics in front of A-1 and receipt for my 1936 Dodge Humpback Panel Truck bought there in 1977. Alot of old iron has passed through that yard. Shame.

22. fordrule

fordrule

i called and he is willing to ship!!!. I called from korea for my project and he is willing to help send parts to tn

23. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

That '57 Buick Coupe sure is tempting. Wish I wasn't so short on time and long on projects...

24. John's right on about that Sunliner....and the convert ?.....you go boys...go...

25. oh.....and thanks for posting....

26. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

In the 4th pic, in the box of the green PU in the background there is the rear tub of some kind of touring from the late 20's. That might be worth saving.

27. brewster55

brewster55

wish i could save them all.

28. NMCarNut

NMCarNut
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm hoping someone or someones does, otherwise I may have to find the room and money to save at least a couple.

29. xpletiv

xpletiv
    from chiburbs

Wow, that yard is f'n huge!

Do places like this not think about doing a large advertising campaign? Or at least an auction?

But they have to do it with more than 2 days notice!