Register now to get rid of these ads!

History BC Custom Car Associaton

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 29bowtie, Aug 4, 2013.

1. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I was there. Your car was parked on the left side, up towards the north end where the bank goes up to the road, right?

2. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Great pics FEDman. I miss the old track. No doubt about it the new one is a better facility, but I just get homesick for the old one. Theres a chunk of the old starting line at my dads house, that I dug up with a pick in 1977, I should go get it.

3. Fedman

Fedman

Was Stan killed at the Track at the Divisional Race in 77 or 78?

We were there and that was Horrific.... :(

4. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Yes. Candy orange, injected early hemi altered. It was really bad. Rick Finch on here was racing in Comp that day, we talked about it a bit off-board a couple years ago, he knew Stan quite well. I'd been talking to Stan just before that. Hell, I was just a kid. When the car got up on top of the rail, I KNEW it was going to be bad. After the car stopped rolling I was walking up the pit side fence toward the crash, when I saw them take his helmet off, I knew right away he was dead. I didnt walk any farther, turned and went the other way.
    Even before I thought about Stan, your pics were actually almost making me tear up a bit, in a good way. just seeing those pics of the hot car pits, the return road, man, the memories just come back in a rush.

5. Fedman

Fedman

Sam Hess getting ready and me to the right, I was only 17 or 18 at the time.

[​IMG]

Zant & Foster w

aiting in the Pits.

[​IMG]

Hess running against Foster

[​IMG]

This time Ernie Zant is Mike Foster's back up Gerbil!

[​IMG]

Sam Hess Launch Pic.

[​IMG]

6. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

What other site? I missed saving some shots before the Van Isle site went down, love to be able to snag the rest of them.
    FEDman you must be just a couple years older than me. Looking at the background of those shots is really cool, I see the Taylor And McNichol 4 dr Bel-Air when they had the Armor-All sponsorship, I think I see Dave Sowles RO-23 in the lanes in one shot, I'll have to sit down tomorrow and really examine the background of these pics, hell I might even spot myself. Its funny that I was talking about that fairlane, and there it is in the background of the second group of shots you post! I take it you guys were running bracket 1? Remember Steve Ellis BEAUTIFUL steel blue '59 Corvette streeter with the aluminum slots and the LS-6? Super clean low eleven second bracket 1 street car from Wash state? I have a color slide of that car somewhere too.

7. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Yup, first three cars in the tower side staging lane, in order. Turn-On SS/KA Camaro (Big time, these guys had a Lingenfelter motor, whoooo) Uncle Bucks Chevelle, and Dave Sowles RO-23 car.

8. don miller

don miller

Kevin does your grandfather's dragster still have the writing inside the front nose? And of course you guy's know that Sowles hemi car is now Jim Isherwoods -still racing. If anyone can convert vhs tapes to disc, I have a ton of San Cobble and Van Isle stuff compliments of rick Gonder.

9. Well I didn't know Isherwood's car was the Sowles car.Thanks

10. don miller

don miller

Isherwood was still living in Port Alberni, owned the Dave Wren/Lyle Kidd '63 max wedge car when he bought Dave's car.

11. desotot

desotot

Well those are great pics and stories, there was some neat stuff on the streets back then, in Richmond my 17 year old neighbour had a 49 Anglia with a 426 hemi 727 trans MH racemaster with a groove cut in each side of the tire to make it street legal :] and a narrow 8 3/4 with a 513 posi and no wheelie wheels that he drove on the street. There was also a purple morris minor on a shortened 56 olds frame with a rocket and stick that could also pull the wheels driving on the streets. Also a 34 ford pu with a 283 that belonged to one of the Irish Rovers. But is there any more BC Custom Car Assc.info?

micamountain likes this.
  12. Yes, I remember that road, that's where my sister-in-law's super straight 66 Chevy II was totaled, by the very recent new owner. He was told the B&M Quick click shifter would go into reverse, if shifted manually, but didn't replace the shifter as planned.:(

FEDman, those pics sure bring back a ton of memories of a great point in BC Drag racing history. Thank You so much for posting them.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  13. Was that the guy with the silver Charger?
    Remember Glen May's super sleeper Ford Camper special p/u, with the turbo big block Ford? Handy that he lived just down the road from Viking Way.

14. I remember the Morris,guy named Bob built it.Steward his last name maybe.

15. 79mbu

79mbu
    from australia

Re: photo of Bill Phillips Texaco gas station at 41st & Knight St. On same side of the street was a McDonald's burger restaurant. I was working on my '70 Acadian at my garage on 41st, a few blocks from Phillips gas stn. Sometime after midnight (summer of '75?) one Friday night, I decided to pick up a burger on the way back home. I cross Knight St and see fire engines and cop cars and an ambulance all parked higgeldy-pigley in the intersection. Texaco is closed and dark. Lots of people milling about the McDonald's parking lot. I ask: "What's up?" Mostly young kids on dates in parking lot, all talking and pointing.

Turns out that Bill was just closing the stn for the night. He decided to entertain the troops at the McDonald's, so he fired up his Top Alcohol dragster in the garage, wheeled it out to one of the pumps where a friend pumped a bit of high-test onto the ground under the slicks, tossed in a match and Bill let 'er rip with a wide open, slicks spinning, flaming burnout right on the concrete. He rolled the dragster into the garage bay, slammed down the roller doors, jumped into his truck and headed for home, just as the sirens started in the distance. Pimple faced kids were almost wetting themselves with excitement. Some understood what had just happened, but most weren't sure if it was war or just the earth opening up and all hell splashing out!

Only "Mad Man" Phillips would try such a stunt...and get away with it!

Bill was a legend and a truly great individual! The last of the cowboys!

HemiDeuce likes this.
  16. Rocket88

Rocket88

I was there that day, just a kid.
    My dad used to be on the safety crew.
    I had just been visiting dad and the guys just before the accident, was on my way back to the tower when it happened.
    I made it to the fence line where the car had was, the safety crew was already there.
    I could see dad and the guys attending to the driver.
    Dad saw me out of the corner of his eye, he looked over and said "go to the tower, I don't want you to see this"
    It was a long time ago, still seems fresh in my mind like it was yesterday.

17. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I knew he had the Sowles car. I've always wondered where did his Max Wedge go? Man, I had a hard-on for that car when I was a kid.

18. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

That Morris Minor belonged to one of my neighbours when I was about 6. Met the guy YEARS later, when I was working as a machinist. His name was Pat something...
    I saw that Anglia as well. Jim Wouton(sp?) had a tourqiouse sbc 4 speed anglia in Maple Ridge, lived down the street from my previously mentioned cousin with the BB Camaro.

19. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

YES! Wow, you should get a prize for that little piece of trivia! Early hemi with a 6-71 and Hilborn 4 hole on the street. Bill Phillips deal.
    And that PU was just plain cruel.:D

20. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Maybe there was two? My neighbour out in Maple Ridge had one with a rocket and hydro as well. This was circa 1965/66ish

21. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Yup, that incident is truly legendary. He came by the "madman" honestly.

22. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

We probably walked right past each other.

23. 5w32

5w32

maybe we could make a Hamb section!

24. Rocket88

Rocket88

Back in the day, the car club used to participate in the PNE parade.
    One time the old man got Bill Phillips to lend us his front engine dragster.
    I got to ride in it during the parade.

Does anyone remember that green Thames called the Mother Trucker?

25. Rocket88

Rocket88

George, here's a pic of my vent window.

Attached Files:

26. Fedman

Fedman

Here are a couple more I found.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I will check to see if I have any more tonight on another computer.
    Grant Iseli also was an avid movie maker, he spent alot of time when not driving filming the races. I have a DVD of some of his Drag Racing Films, I am not sure how to go about posting it though. :confused:

27. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

That was Bob Crosbies car.

28. 5w32

5w32

my box brownie shots from days gone by

Attached Files:

Stogy likes this.
  29. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

^^GREAT stuff! I'd like to hear from more of the guys that are a little older. Myself, Don, Rocket88 and I'm guessing FED (I'm thinking you are maybe 3-4 yrs older than me) are more or less limited to 1970 and up, because of our ages. Lets fill in more of the time from '55-'70, anybody have more from the drags at Abbotsford airport? Street racing stories from the early days? Old PNE car show photos? (man, I have several boxes of color slides from car shows in the seventies, I gotta dig some of this stuff up)

30. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Just got off the phone with Keith, confirmed, The Kremyr Bros car is Tjorhoms Blackbird. Car still exists, and is going back together with a cammer.